Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/18/2007 8:15:24 PM EDT
Most of the time the "Can I carry here?" questions refer to handguns. However, after the tragic events at VT, the idea of protecting myself at school became a priority.

I'm a graduating senior at a local UT school. Unlike every senior, I have been spending more time with my books at school, and bringing my school work with me almost everywhere.

From what I have observed, it seems that most of the laws and statutes only restrict the carrying of handguns in certain places.

Theoretically speaking, (legally) could I stuff and conceal a compact rifle in my book bag with me at school?

I know I can carry/stow a rifle in my car and without any issues, and I could theoretically open carry a rifle (not that I would around campus).

Thanks for the help,
Brian
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:44:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Trigg:
Most of the time the "Can I carry here?" questions refer to handguns. However, after the tragic events at VT, the idea of protecting myself at school became a priority.

I'm a graduating senior at a local UT school. Unlike every senior, I have been spending more time with my books at school, and bringing my school work with me almost everywhere.

From what I have observed, it seems that most of the laws and statutes only restrict the carrying of handguns in certain places.

Theoretically speaking, (legally) could I stuff and conceal a compact rifle in my book bag with me at school?

I know I can carry/stow a rifle in my car and without any issues, and I could theoretically open carry a rifle (not that I would around campus).

Thanks for the help,
Brian

The laws about schools apply to firearms, not just handguns.

Texas Penal Code

§46.03. Places weapons prohibited.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally,
knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal
knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational
institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by
a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger
transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether
the school or educational institution is public or private, unless
pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the
institution;

(c) In this section:

(1) "Premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035.

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building.
The term does not include any public or private driveway, street,
sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking
area.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:00:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HarrySacz:
Just be thankful that your school is in fact a ''gun free zone'' therefore you have nothing to worry about. Why would you ever need to protect yourself when you have gun laws doing it for you?

Of course. We all know guns can't physically enter a "gun free zone."
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 11:45:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HarrySacz:
Just be thankful that your school is in fact a ''gun free zone'' therefore you have nothing to worry about. Why would you ever need to protect yourself when you have gun laws doing it for you?

Indeed.

BTW, did you know that someone's looking for you? www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=265237
Top Top