Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2008 10:09:42 AM EDT
Does anyone know for sure the law on changing address in MN for the carry permit? I am under the understanding that we only need to notify the Sheriff. I did that and his helper sent me a new application for to fill out and said send them $10 and they will send a new card.  I think I dont need a new card... just notify as I did.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:52:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/8/2008 10:54:57 AM EDT by SultanOfBrunei]
You must notify the issuing sheriff within 30 days.

You may get a new card for $10 from your issuing sheriff.
You may notify your new sheriff.

MN 624.714
Subd. 7a. Change of address; loss or destruction of permit.
(a) Within 30 days after changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the
permit card, the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change, loss, or destruction. Failure to
provide notification as required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must
not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not
subject to forfeiture.
(b) After notice is given under paragraph (a), a permit holder may obtain a replacement permit card by
paying $10 to the sheriff. The request for a replacement permit card must be made on an official,
standardized application adopted for this purpose under section 624.7151, and, except in the case of an
address change, must include a notarized statement that the permit card has been lost or destroyed.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 4:30:31 AM EDT
What you propose to do is all right. The only downside is that if all the info does not match ie;  drivers license and cc card, a retailer doesn't have to sell you a firearm. I ran into that at Joe's sports and had to go to the Sheriff, who told me that my whole trip there was unecessary, and the guy at joe's was wrong. He said that retailers had been given classes on whats proper regarding a sale, and that guy must have been sleeping I called the mgr at Joe's and complained and he gave me a $50 gift certificate. If you run into a sales guy that is uninformed, it can ruin your day. I suggest, make the changes and you won't have trouble. As an asides, my wifes drivers license has the wrong zip code, and no one has caught it in several firearms purchases. As long as incompotance prevails in our society, it becomes more important to do your part.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 6:56:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:25:50 PM EDT
So we should ignore the law and go the extra mile and pay the fee to get a new card?? I did the "notifying" letter 6 or so years ago when I moved and the sherrif just mailed me back a confirmation letter thanking me for letting him know.

Oh well... I probably will get the new card eventually I guess.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:22:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SBRguy:
So we should ignore the law and go the extra mile and pay the fee to get a new card?...

I would. $10 to save a hassel.
Top Top