Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 3:58:15 PM EDT
I just returned from the Gunshow at the Trop and I am glad I paid the $13 to get in because that was some of the best comedy in town.  1st of all, let me start off by saying this show was 1000x better than any of the Claude hall jokes.  At least there was something to look at and get your money's worth, even if 95% of the stuff was WAY overpriced.  

But anyway, I amused myself wandering among the booths listening to the usual: "I was a Green Beret Delta Force Operator who used to train Navy Seals - so trust me when I tell you this Olympic AR for $1800 is a STEAL!"  What was even more amazing was the people buying that crap and shelling out the $$ to these used car salesmen.  

There were some vendors that seemed to have reasonable prices - even if somewhat elevated for the gunshow.  But it seemed they were in the small minority.  My biggest chuckle came from one vendor who had a couple LMT defender 2000s for something like $2400.  AND the best part was they were "tricked out" with UTG rails and chicom aimpoint clones.  OMFG!!!  They had an LWRC 5.56 for well over $3000 and it too had crap accessories.  What was puzzling was the same vendor had a stock LWRC 6.8 for something like $2300, which seems in line with normal if not low for a 6.8 LWRC.  

Anyway, it was capitalism at its finest.  Which if they can sell at those prices - then more power to 'em.  But I hope they choke on all that merchadise they bought up to gouge us with.  I'd rather give my money to someone like HDI where they charge decent prices and give excellent service.  

btw - based on the number of black rifles still sitting there at the show and the amount of ammo Miwall still had left by 4pm - I'd say the panic buying phase is over.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
And NO FREAKING RELOADING COMPONENTS ANYWHERE! Wishthey could have told me that before I paid to get in.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Same thing up in Reno earlyer this year !!!

I hope your right about the panic buying....Im starting to see a little more ammo on the shelves up here .......all except .22
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool, I don't feel so bad for not going

Thanks for the sitrep
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They had an LWRC 5.56 for well over $3000 and it too had crap accessories.  What was puzzling was the same vendor had a stock LWRC 6.8 for something like $2300, which seems in line with normal if not low for a 6.8 LWRC.

Because Joe Schmoe off of the street hasn't heard of 6.8, only a fairly knowledgable guy is gonna buy that.

Jay
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

And NO FREAKING RELOADING COMPONENTS ANYWHERE!
Wishthey could have told me that before I paid to get in.

Ditto!  I was hoping to grab a few case of bullets so I didn't have to pay $300 for 1K of 9mm that I can make for $80 in my garage!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd rather give my money to someone like HDI where they charge decent prices and give excellent service.

+1. i took a buddy's wife to HDI (as a technical consultant) to help her buy him an AK. he had to work and couldn't get to their sale.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, the panic buying is winding down.  Those who gave in to the urges have spent their wad and now sit home fondling their fears.

As to conponents, it will be a relatively short time till those are once again available at "normal" prices and delivery times.  Gunshows are rarely the place to find them anyways.  Since Sportsman's WHorehouse has choosen to abandon LAs Vegas, the internet is your best bargin there.

Now as to HDI, more American businesses should be as well piloted as these fine folks.  Atta boy Doc, et al.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Went back late today (Sun) to pick up some gear from Desert Tactical (nice folks btw).  Walked around the showroom floor and noticed that the vast majority of over-priced ARs hadn't budged.  In fact I would say that almost all the vendors with tables full of guns still had about all their inventory I had seen the day prior.  There was also still lots of ammo left at the ammo vendors.  Based on all that, I think the panic is officially over - and maybe these piranahs will get the clue that they can't keep charging these stupid prices.  Hopefully, we can get back to normal again very soon.....
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I went to my last gunshow in May.  I really don't talk to too many people and look in hopes of finding a rare deal.  I really respect people in the military.  The ones who ever got into some $#it NEVER talk about it and are very reluctant to give you any details if you ask.  You wouldn't understand unless you've been there.  That's what I got from my father and respect that.  I don't understand the braggarts at gunshows but I feel they are dishonoring their fellow soldiers in order to sell some smuck an overpriced piece.  Ok, enough rant.

I consider the $13 entrance fee to be part of a morning of entertainment and not towards the purchase price of anything I buy.  I've found some good deals on ammo pouches, wheel gun holsters and the like.  The non-firearm vendors have reasonable if not good deals.

I don't like paying new retail prices for USED guns.  I don't like paying a $200 or higher premium on a NEW weapon simply because someone took it out of the box and laid it on a table and watches me like a hawk to make sure I don't touch this lofty item no mere mortal should posess.  It's sort of like Promethius and the taboo fire.

My best laugh of the gunshow was a $900 Saiga 12 (unmodified) shotgun.  I can buy one on line for way less than $600.  The best laugh was on backpage.com where someone was trying to unload the extra Saiga 12 he bought for $850 and claiming it was a steal.  I know some very intelligent fellow gun owners but I'm really scared of the people who would impulse buy at these inflated sales.  The irony is you've just armed some idiot with a gun and pissed him off at the same time.  Brilliant.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top