Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/19/2005 5:59:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/19/2005 5:59:40 PM EST by COKrinkster]
I have been toying with the idea of investing in some AAC supressors for my rifles (AR & HK) and one for my H&K USP Tatical. I tried the direct approach to the Chief in the city I reside in and got a strange request back. Not really a "No", just a stipulation.

Has anyone in Colorado on the board gotten a can in the state and who should I order through?

I talked to Mike at Mike's Custom Guns (CO) and have received the cold shoulder since he also talked to the LE Chief?

I live in a dual jurisdiction area in Adams County and was just wondering if anyone knows an expedient method to get the Form4 signed off on. (Me, not a felon, in LE, no record at all, military service, etc. why is this Form4 such a castastrophe?)

Thanks for your responses in advance!
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 7:30:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/19/2005 7:32:57 PM EST
bypass the local pd and go directly to the adams cty sheriffs dept. if not then you will need to become a corp.
there's discussion over on www.co-ar15.com about doing so for those who reside in the state.
luckily the weld cty SO signs off.
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 6:02:38 AM EST
What was the "stipulation?"

I don't own any but I've shot 3 guns with them. Come to think of it all were Gemtecks.

So they are available to you. But you may have to do more work than others. A recent acquaintance got his sign off from his town's Chief of Police, while he waited. I was hoping he had gotten it from our County Sheriff. But it'll be a while before I can splurge for one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 6:14:16 PM EST
Thanks for the input. I must say this has been an interesting quest. I am LE in a major city in Colorado and I live in another city. I spoke to the CLEO in the city I live in and he wants me to ask the chief where I work if it's ok with him? Since, private citizens can own them without asking their repective bosses I thought this might be a bit out of the ordinary. But, after talking to a few people in the business they have come up with some ideas as to how and why the second chief wants my chief to sign off first on a letter or something. Just seems like added steps to an already convoluted process. Thanks Again for all the help!

Link Posted: 4/22/2005 6:30:28 PM EST
COKrinkster,

I'm a LEO on the front range, I have done both a short barreled shot gun (had it signed at the time by my Chief because I lived within the city in which I worked). I now live in the country and got the Shierff to sign the paperwork for my Gem-Tech M4-96D a few months back. Never had a problem with either transaction.

I ordered my Gem-Tech stuff directly from Gem-Tech and it was sent to Denver bullets. A member here by the name of "bluker" is also a Gem-Tech dealer from what I have been told.

Link Posted: 4/23/2005 12:21:36 PM EST
As am I - set up with Gemtech, AAC, AWC and American Mfg.

I've stocked Triple-X warriors (just sold my last in-stock a few months ago), and currently have some AAC pilots and a Bowers CAC-9. Anything else I've ordered on an as-needed basis.

Suppressor fun in the springs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 8:20:07 PM EST
I just ordered a Gemtech Halo and will go to the sheriff to see if he signs off on my form. My class 3 dealer is in Aurora, CO and I hope to have the can in about 3 mos. I probably will have to wait another 3 mos after that to get the can released to me. I don't really care how long it takes only that I do finally get it legally. I will let you know what happens.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 8:15:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By ts1:
I just ordered a Gemtech Halo and will go to the sheriff to see if he signs off on my form. My class 3 dealer is in Aurora, CO and I hope to have the can in about 3 mos. I probably will have to wait another 3 mos after that to get the can released to me. I don't really care how long it takes only that I do finally get it legally. I will let you know what happens.

What county are you in? If it's Arapahoe, get the paperwork started on the Corp. now so you can get that can quickly. Karl.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 7:28:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/7/2005 7:34:54 PM EST by HunterCO]
If you live in Douglas county you are also screwed unless you go corporate. I met Sheriff Mink today at the jeffco open house. I went for one purpose and that was to thank him for signing my form 4's. I bought an RDIAS and a AWC raider can. He is the best Sheriff anybody could ever ask for. He is the first elected official I ever met that did not think he was above me. Sheriff Mink is a man that gives me hope for this country. I introduced myself and told him I wanted to personally thank him for signing my form 4's. He said I don't have a problem with law abiding citizens owning weapons.

All I can say is if Sheriff Mink ran for president he has and always will have my vote.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 2:10:24 PM EST
I am still in the process, but I think it is going well. I actually found the request to be easily accoomplished with my chief, so I am still in the race. The question is still how long this can drag out? Only time will tell. Thanks to all for the replies and good luck!
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:55:24 PM EST
I am actually in Denver County. If I am screwed, how or who do I go to to get my corporation paperwork started and does this make a difference in future tax filings? I wish getting a can was not so difficult.

Also, can I not go to Jeff Co to get my papers signed off?
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 7:30:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 5:43:06 PM EST
No such luck. I have a house and work in Denver. I hope this is not going to be too painful.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 6:00:21 PM EST
Just FYI I work for DPD and I know the Chief there will not sign for any form 4s'. I had to do the run around thing and got the Chief in CommCity to sign mine as I live in that city. Denver's chief had no problem with a can for LE, but he is a stickler for civilian ownership.

I know I know thats a bunch of BS, but what are ya gonna do? I wish you luck though.

I am in LE and am probably the minority when it comes to what I think about gun ownership and our rights.

Also, no difference between city and county for Denver. One chief to rule them all!

Link Posted: 5/10/2005 7:48:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By COKrinkster:
Just FYI I work for DPD and I know the Chief there will not sign for any form 4s'. I had to do the run around thing and got the Chief in CommCity to sign mine as I live in that city. Denver's chief had no problem with a can for LE, but he is a stickler for civilian ownership.

I know I know thats a bunch of BS, but what are ya gonna do? I wish you luck though.

I am in LE and am probably the minority when it comes to what I think about gun ownership and our rights.

Also, no difference between city and county for Denver. One chief to rule them all!

Whiteman (I'm sure I didn't spell it right but who cares) is an elitiste prick. The sheriff of Denver is above the chief as it is in any county but once again it's Denver so it makes no difference. My advice move out of that shithole.

COKrinkster I doubt your the minority as I know a lot of DPD it's just the brass that are assholes. The officers like you that actually do something to keep the streets safe are the good guys. I just wish more of you would get up in the brass and take over.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 3:31:22 PM EST
Thanks for the props HunterCO. Sorry to be such a killjoy as far as the cans in Denver issue goes. That is one of the reasons I moved out of the city as soon as I could. Also, the cities home rule ban on assault weapons. Take care all and thanks again for all the replies.

Link Posted: 5/11/2005 10:15:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By Karl-P-Mann:

Originally Posted By ts1:

What county are you in? If it's Arapahoe, get the paperwork started on the Corp. now so you can get that can quickly. Karl.

Ummmk, would you care for a little help on how to do a corp.? It's fairly easy and painless. And it's so much fun when you call the chiefs office to tell them that you no longer need his assistance as the weapon is already being transferred to you. Karl.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 11:29:43 AM EST
Karl,

I would love some help on how to do a corp as it looks hopeless for the chief to sign off. You can either PM me or just reply here. I really want to get this done. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:43:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/27/2005 8:35:41 PM EST by COKrinkster]
Well, I am in the process now. Silencers ordered. Dealer paid. Chief signed off on. Now it's just the waiting game. Ended up ordering two AAC cans. (M4-2000 and Striker2) I'll let you know my time line as it goes by.

Thanks Again!
Top Top