Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:30:28 PM EDT
I'm playing with the idea of getting a C&R in NJ to enrich my collection without paying expensive FFL/NIC's fees (or getting ripped royal by Sarco/traveling long distances to gunshops with milsurplus on tap). However, what would I have to do if I purchased a C&R elligible handgun? Would the permit to purchase bs still come in, or would my pseudo-FFL status negate the need for the permits?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked into it as well and was told that the firearm still has to be transferred thru a FFL in NJ. But is it good for the discounts that some surplus dealers give to C&R holders.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#2]
So wait, I can even have an Enfield mailed to my doorstep? Damm.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/cnrfaq/index.asp
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I am going to guess you meant "can't". If than is the case then yes, you cant even have that shipped to your door. I forget the exact reference in NJ law, I will look in Nappen II tomorrow. But CMP can ship to your door....go figure .

Also, GoingIncognito has a C&R I think so he may have some more information if you want to ask him, I am sure he will chime in here.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup, I have one and have saved far more than the cost of the license.  It is 100% the best deal going!  Sure, you CANNOT have C&R firearms shipped to your door like you can in other free states, but you do get the following benefits:

Dealer Discount at many online merchants (such as Brownell's and Midway).
The ability to purchase a C&R eligible handgun at a gunshow (along with the proper permit to purchase!), and take it back across state lines with you (I have never done this, although as I understand it it is legal), which saves you shipping and transfer fees.
The ability to purchase C&R eligible long guns at a gunshow (along with the proper certificate of eligibility!) and forgo the NICS or transfer fee.

Sure, a C&R in NJ doesn't give you all the benefits that it might in other states, but it's still sooooo worth it.  In my very first order from Midway I saved the cost of my C&R license, and then on my first order from Brownell's I saved it again!

Unfortunately, it doesn't allow you to own firearms that are listed on the NJ AWB (such as M1 Carbines ), but oh well.

I never did quite understand why CMP can ship to your door if you're an average joe, but even if the Fed's say you're A-OK to be FEDERALLY LICENSED you can't have anyone else ship to you.  

Don't let anyone persude you not to get a C&R in NJ.  I've heard stories that you'll be arrested, no one will sell to you, etc etc.  Just remember that you live in NJ and ARE NOT ALLOWED to have firearms shipped to you and you'll be fine.  Also, keep your bound book and never forget to enter any C&R eligible firearm in it.  It's easier to enter it now then wish you had later.

BoreSighted also has a C&R, and he was kind enough to answer all my questions that I had before getting mine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yup, I have one and have saved far more than the cost of the license.  It is 100% the best deal going!  Sure, you CANNOT have C&R firearms shipped to your door like you can in other free states, but you do get the following benefits:

Dealer Discount at many online merchants (such as Brownell's and Midway).
The ability to purchase a C&R eligible handgun at a gunshow (along with the proper permit to purchase!), and take it back across state lines with you (I have never done this, although as I understand it it is legal), which saves you shipping and transfer fees.
The ability to purchase C&R eligible long guns at a gunshow (along with the proper certificate of eligibility!) and forgo the NICS or transfer fee.

Sure, a C&R in NJ doesn't give you all the benefits that it might in other states, but it's still sooooo worth it.  In my very first order from Midway I saved the cost of my C&R license, and then on my first order from Brownell's I saved it again!

Unfortunately, it doesn't allow you to own firearms that are listed on the NJ AWB (such as M1 Carbines ), but oh well.

I never did quite understand why CMP can ship to your door if you're an average joe, but even if the Fed's say you're A-OK to be FEDERALLY LICENSED you can't have anyone else ship to you.  

Don't let anyone persude you not to get a C&R in NJ.  I've heard stories that you'll be arrested, no one will sell to you, etc etc.  Just remember that you live in NJ and ARE NOT ALLOWED to have firearms shipped to you and you'll be fine.  Also, keep your bound book and never forget to enter any C&R eligible firearm in it.  It's easier to enter it now then wish you had later.

BoreSighted also has a C&R, and he was kind enough to answer all my questions that I had before getting mine.

All the above are accurate based on my experience, but he forgot the best part - you get a visit to your home by BATFE agents. yes, not one, but two came to my house.

It isn't a big deal, they're just in person confirming that you are you you claimed to be, that you have a bona fide residence, etc etc. That and they'll be sure to tell you more than twice that you absolutly positively cannot have anything shipped to you, and that you are still subject to the NJ laws regarding pistol purchase permits and Certificates of Eligibility for long guns, and that even if something is a C&R the state AWB still applies and you can't own things like M1 Carbines.

But all good. Except for the net effect on your bank account, of course.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:48:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
All the above are accurate based on my experience, but he forgot the best part - you get a visit to your home by BATFE agents. yes, not one, but two came to my house.

It isn't a big deal, they're just in person confirming that you are you you claimed to be, that you have a bona fide residence, etc etc. That and they'll be sure to tell you more than twice that you absolutly positively cannot have anything shipped to you, and that you are still subject to the NJ laws regarding pistol purchase permits and Certificates of Eligibility for long guns, and that even if something is a C&R the state AWB still applies and you can't own things like M1 Carbines.

But all good. Except for the net effect on your bank account, of course.

I haven't been "lucky" enough to have a visit yet.  Luckily, I am VERY diligent on keeping my bound book up to date.  Actually, I need to actually put my pages in a book.  Currently they're sitting on top of my safe with the binder next to them .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top