Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/23/2020 3:47:02 PM
Posted: 12/17/2009 9:26:51 AM EDT
I moved to NJ from GA and want to get my C&R. Do I need to be aware of any pitfalls as far as NJ law? NJ is not warm to gun owners and just want a heads up! I posted this in the C&R section but wanted to get the info from some other NJ guys with the C&R.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:48:14 AM EDT
Don't bother. It's not worth the headache.

Welcome to the PRNJ.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:25:08 AM EDT
Yeah I was gonna say....the pitfall you should avoid is living in NJ.

As far as I know (and I'll leave room to be wrong here) having a C & R is basically worthless in NJ because it's not like most other states where you just need to meet the fed guidelines (having a C & R) to buy C & R guns.  You can still only buy what is NJ legal.  Which last time I check was limited to certain slingshots (as long as they don't have at least two of the following a rubber band in excess of 12 inches, an aiming device, or are the colors black, orange, or fusia), and a few different pointy sticks...provided of course they've been permanently modified to remove the points.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 1:36:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JoeFromSJersey:

As far as I know (and I'll leave room to be wrong here) having a C & R is basically worthless in NJ because it's not like most other states where you just need to meet the fed guidelines Correct, you will still have to use a FFL (having a C & R) to buy C & R guns.You can still only buy what is NJ legal. In my experience 99% of C&R Stuff is Legal in NJ Which last time I check was limited to certain slingshots (as long as they don't have at least two of the following a rubber band in excess of 12 inches, an aiming device, or are the colors black, orange, or fusia), and a few different pointy sticks...provided of course they've been permanently modified to remove the points. Nonsense

Currently several of us here on this Board have a C&R Lic. (FFL -03 ) paperwork . We are all in the process of returning our C&R Licences to the ATF since the NJ State Police has attempted to prosecute several NJ Residents with C&R Licences as illegal Firearms Dealers.

They (NJ State Police ) have failed but it has cost the accused time and money.

My advise to you is , do not get the Licence until this matter is resolved

A "Collector"

PS -Welcome to NJ and start planning your departure from the Gulag.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 2:23:28 PM EDT
I emailed the state police last month and asked about the whole C&R scenario. This is what they said.

In response to your letter dated November 27, 2009, received by this
office on December 11, 2009, inquiring about the Type 03 FFL.  It is not
a crime for someone in the State of New Jersey to hold a Type 03 FFL
(Curio's and Relics License) in order to build a private collection.
However the holder of a Type 03 FFL must still comply with the laws of
New Jersey.  In order to purchase Firearms in the State of New Jersey
you must comply with N.J.S. 2C:53-3 (Purchase of Firearms).
The below listed statues will also help you to determine if you would
like to become a Retail Firearms Dealer or a Manufacture/Wholesale
Dealer.

Maybe they got contacted by the ATF and got a little slap on the dick?
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 2:37:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By flyingbrick:

I emailed the state police last month and asked about the whole C&R scenario. This is what they said.

In response to your letter dated November 27, 2009, received by this

office on December 11, 2009, inquiring about the Type 03 FFL. It is not

a crime for someone in the State of New Jersey to hold a Type 03 FFL

(Curio's and Relics License) in order to build a private collection.

However the holder of a Type 03 FFL must still comply with the laws of

New Jersey. In order to purchase Firearms in the State of New Jersey

you must comply with N.J.S. 2C:53-3 (Purchase of Firearms).

The below listed statues will also help you to determine if you would

like to become a Retail Firearms Dealer or a Manufacture/Wholesale

Dealer.

Maybe they got contacted by the ATF and got a little slap on the dick?
Flyingbrick:

This is huge!!!!!!

Did they respond via  e-mail or a formal letter?

If they responded via formal letter could you post it in PDF format minus your contact information.

Thanks ,

Iggyort

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 3:33:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2009 3:37:08 PM EDT by flyingbrick]
Ignacio, it was an email. I kept it though and have the persons name who sent it to me. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward the whole thing to you. There's more to the email, but I don't think it really pertains to the thread.
I'm looking at the email right now and just noticed that the thing says CC under my name and has the names of 4 people at the NJSP. Not sure what that's all about.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 3:41:12 PM EDT
PM inbound
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:49:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Iggyort:

As far as I know (and I'll leave room to be wrong here) having a C & R is basically worthless in NJ because it's not like most other states where you just need to meet the fed guidelines Correct, you will still have to use a FFL (having a C & R) to buy C & R guns.You can still only buy what is NJ legal. In my experience 99% of C&R Stuff is Legal in NJ Which last time I check was limited to certain slingshots (as long as they don't have at least two of the following a rubber band in excess of 12 inches, an aiming device, or are the colors black, orange, or fusia), and a few different pointy sticks...provided of course they've been permanently modified to remove the points. Nonsense

Currently several of us here on this Board have a C&R Lic. (FFL -03 ) paperwork . We are all in the process of returning our C&R Licences to the ATF since the NJ State Police has attempted to prosecute several NJ Residents with C&R Licences as illegal Firearms Dealers.

A "Collector"

Did you really feel like you had to put "nonsense" after I went into my list of what I thought was NJ legal?  A hearty LOL at that sir....a hearty LOL indeed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:18:02 PM EDT

A "Collector"

Did you really feel like you had to put "nonsense" after I went into my list of what I thought was NJ legal? A hearty LOL at that sir....a hearty LOL indeed.

Sorry!!

I was in a bad mood.

My Dinner was Cold.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:52:48 PM EDT
I was in a bad mood.

My Dinner was Cold.

Who can argue with this?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:31:09 AM EDT
Anybody know of a good website that lays out the basics of a C & R in NJ?  List of stuff you can buy?  Basic process? etc, but is more NJ centric?  I've seen some sites out there but I was wondering if there are any by some of those in the know who have experience with a C & R in NJ.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:26:31 AM EDT
Anybody know of a good website that lays out the basics of a C & R in NJ?  List of stuff you can buy?  Basic process? etc, but is more NJ centric?  I've seen some sites out there but I was wondering if there are any by some of those in the know who have experience with a C & R in NJ.

This is what I am also interested in finding out. I just want to pick up several WWI / II rifles, nothing that will have me go on a gun crazed shoot em up, but just some nice collector guns(the black rifles=bad juju ). If I was to go on a rampage I would have done it while in the military when I had some bad ass guns I could use.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:03:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By savgun:

This is what I am also interested in finding out. I just want to pick up several WWI / II rifles, nothing that will have me go on a gun crazed shoot em up, but just some nice collector guns(the black rifles=bad juju ). If I was to go on a rampage I would have done it while in the military when I had some bad ass guns I could use.

If that's all you want just get you NJ FICD.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:06:56 AM EDT

Anybody know of a good website that lays out the basics of a C & R in NJ? List of stuff you can buy? Basic process? etc, but is more NJ centric? I've seen some sites out there but I was wondering if there are any by some of those in the know who have experience with a C & R in NJ.

This is what I am also interested in finding out. I just want to pick up several WWI / II rifles,nothing that will have me go on a gun crazed shoot em up, but just some nice collector guns(the black rifles=bad juju
). If I was to go on a rampage
I would have done it while in the military when I had some bad ass guns I could use.

Dude:

If you feel that strongly about EBRs , you are on the wrong Web Site.

Try the other NJ  Forum, may you will feel more comfortable  there with out  us "CRAZED SHOOT EM UP" types !!!

Good day
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:38:01 AM EDT

Anybody know of a good website that lays out the basics of a C & R in NJ? List of stuff you can buy? Basic process? etc, but is more NJ centric? I've seen some sites out there but I was wondering if there are any by some of those in the know who have experience with a C & R in NJ.

This is what I am also interested in finding out. I just want to pick up several WWI / II rifles,nothing that will have me go on a gun crazed shoot em up, but just some nice collector guns(the black rifles=bad juju ). If I was to go on a rampage I would have done it while in the military when I had some bad ass guns I could use.

Dude:

If you feel that strongly about EBRs , you are on the wrong Web Site.

Try the other NJ  Forum, may you will feel more comfortable  there with out  us "CRAZED SHOOT EM UP" types !!!

Good day

Dude:

I was poking fun at the NJ politicians that have made EBRs what they are, not the EBRs themselves. I own a few and over the years have owned at least 25 of them. I owned some that I could not bring into this state. I did live in a free state and I am just trying to stay out of jail in this state!

I know that it is sometimes hard to tell what is sarcasm and what is not in a post, so I will not tear you a new one

And LUGERMAN, I like that I can get on the computer and buy a gun and have it sent to my house without the need of a third person involved, acting as a middle man and wanting to collect money from me just because he can. It is a waste of my time and money. I like all of you work hard for what I have and would like a little more for less.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:52:52 AM EDT

And LUGERMAN, I like that I can get on the computer and buy a gun and have it sent to my house without the need of a third person involved, acting as a middle man and wanting to collect money from me just because he can. It is a waste of my time and money. I like all of you work hard for what I have and would like a little more for less.[/quote]

I still don't think you can even with a C&R in NJ. Most ''good" NJ FFL dealers only charge $25.00 for a transfer anyway.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:05:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LUGERMAN:

And LUGERMAN, I like that I can get on the computer and buy a gun and have it sent to my house without the need of a third person involved, acting as a middle man and wanting to collect money from me just because he can. It is a waste of my time and money. I like all of you work hard for what I have and would like a little more for less.

I still don't think you can even with a C&R in NJ. Most ''good" NJ FFL dealers only charge $25.00 for a transfer anyway.[/quote]

In GA you could have the C&R gun sent to your house. I did this many times. That is why I wanted the C&R in NJ. You are a FFL dealer with the C&R, just for C&R listed guns. If NJ has some other laws that prevent this, then that is what I want to know. I am not busting balls, just want to find out the truth. If you have a C&R, please chime in!
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:21:04 AM EDT
I currently have a C&R.  You can NOT have guns sent to your house. You must use a FFL O1 and pay for the NICS check.

Should you need verification you can call the NJ State Police Firearms Unit in Trenton

Contact Unit

(609) 882-2000 ext 6619
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:43:56 AM EDT
I currently have a C&R.  You can NOT have guns sent to your house. You must use a FFL O1 and pay for the NICS check.

Should you need verification you can call the NJ State Police Firearms Unit in Trenton

Contact Unit
(609) 882-2000 ext 6619

Ok, but this goes against why you get a C&R. They do a background check and clear you to have the C&R. The background check should not be needed, the requirement was met when you received your license. But this is NJ.........
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:27:22 AM EDT

Contact Unit
(609) 882-2000 ext 6619

Ok, but this goes against why you get a C&R. They do a background check and clear you to have the C&R. The background check should not be needed, the requirement was met when you received your license. But this is NJ.........

But this is NJ
<––––––The most important part of what was said....in NJ a C&R is not like a C&R in the rest of the country....You cant have guns sent directly to yer house in this state. Now there is this whole thing with the 1 gun a month and the exception for "collectors", and just what defines one as a "collector"...perhaps one day they will get around to figure that out and a C&R might have a good use in NJ.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:56:59 AM EDT

Contact Unit
(609) 882-2000 ext 6619

Scroll up and read my post. That's a cut and paste of an email from the NJSP. About the only thing a C&R is good for in NJ is getting discounts from places like Miday USA.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:57:46 PM EDT

Contact Unit
(609) 882-2000 ext 6619

Scroll up and read my post. That's a cut and paste of an email from the NJSP. About the only thing a C&R is good for in NJ is getting discounts from places like Miday USA.
.... And to have annual unscheduled visits from the NJSP (blessed by the ATF) with several blank arrest warrants that they pencil your name in when they come across even the most minor of violations. Like not keeping accurate records, or posting that big sign they give you on your safe, checking / taking inventory of everything in your safe, even if it is a long gun that is legally owned but not registered, shooting your dog without the current license, not having your house properly numbered, owning a Rebel Flag, having controversial books or war memorabilia in plain view, etc...Iggy and I heard the same thing at the Annual NJPRC Meeting and I heard about these JBT tactics from another source in LE. Have fun. And heaven forbid if you have another persons guns in your possession and they are not logged in. Then you are either guilty of an illegal transaction, unlawful possession or not having the proper license to be a gunsmith. The charges don't have to be true to bust your balls.

If you want a discount from Midway, open a business and then file with them. In the long run that will be cheaper then attorney's fees. Doesn't matter if you are innocent or guilty, they take your stuff, lock your ass up and you get to pay for an attorney with your kids college fund. Everybody wins!!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 4:17:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2009 4:23:49 PM EDT by 240shwag]
State law in NJ(and any other state for that matter) supersedes federal law.
What may be legal in some parts of the country, may not be legal here. We have a bill that requires all firearm transfers from out of state be handled by a FFL, no matter what. Just because you are a C&R, does not mean you can break state laws as I stated above. The new bill for one gun a month, has an exception for C&R holders, but it allows no other exceptions. The exception is purely for genuine collectors that buy massive amounts of handguns a month so he/she can transfer them all at once. Its not for your regular Joe that buys a few here and there. It will do WAY more harm then good in this state for a person such as you or I.

In some states its illegal to fuck animals. In NJ though, its legal. See, we actually win.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 4:41:54 PM EDT
Thanks for all the input. I will not apply for my C&R as long as I live in NJ. The only good thing I did when I move to NJ is not buying a house! This makes it that much easier to move to PA! I checked the times and it would be another 15 minutes for me to get to work! I will be out of the state after my lease on the house is up! And PA has reciprocal recognition of my GA CCW permit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 4:54:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 240shwag:

In some states its illegal to fuck animals. In NJ though, its legal. See, we actually win.

Well in my younger days I have slept with a few Pigs

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:14:18 PM EDT

If PETA only knew what I did being stationed in Alaska for two years. baaahhhh  

Is bestiality a violation under the UCMJ?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:48:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wojo:

If PETA only knew what I did being stationed in Alaska for two years. baaahhhh  

Is bestiality a violation under the UCMJ?

"Zoophilia" is legal in: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Vermont, Washington (The ever green state not DC), West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Military wise, yes it is cited in UCMJ. Like anything else though, you have to be caught in the act.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 3:40:02 AM EDT
As I understand it, a C&R license will allow one to bypass a NICS check on C&R firearms only, saving $16.05. The transfer still goes through an 01 dealer with a CoE or P2P, like when one would purchase a BB or BP firearm.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 3:25:23 PM EDT
PK90, that's exactly what I was told by the ATF agent. She also said that as long as I have a pistol permit, I can buy a C&R pistol out of state without having to have it transferred through a dealer in NJ.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:35:08 PM EDT
PK90, that's exactly what I was told by the ATF agent. She also said that as long as I have a pistol permit, I can buy a C&R pistol out of state without having to have it transferred through a dealer in NJ.

Right the C&R clears you with ATF..it does NOT do so with NJSP however, you are still bound by NJ's nonsense.  Once McDonald is won we then have to hope someone with deep pockets is willing to take on NJ to get 2C:39 either rewqritten or repealed altogether and a new set of laws written. ANY gains we make will cost though.

Top Top