Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 4:05:46 PM EDT
I was thinking about applying for a C&R FFL for my home in Durham City. Has anyone applied for one recently? Are there any zoning laws that are applicable in Durham City/County? I figured I would check with the planning office at City Hall, but thought I might get a more knowledgeable answer here first
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:30:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The C&R FFL is not for doing business so there cant be any zoning problems as you are not using your home for business.  The CLEO can not say anything about you getting a C&R FFL.  All you have to do is send him a letter stating you are getting a C&R FFL.  He may not like it, and in durham odds are he wont, but there is nothing he can do about it.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I'm slow. What's C&R?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Curio and Relic - basically weapons 40 years and older ( a bit more to it than that though)
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd actually recommend against calling the planning office.  It IS perfectly legal, it's none of there business, and I would think it preferrable that the "less than gun friendly" people in Durham city hall don't even know such a permit exists.  They probably don't.  

There's nothing to it.  Just fill out the form, send it in, and forget it for a while.  Mine took about two months, and given that I sent it in right before Christmas,  I was impressed with the speed.  I also got page two bounced back for a correction.  (I checked the boxes, instead of initialing them)  DOH!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:15:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Curio and Relic - basically weapons 40 years and older ( a bit more to it than that though)

50 years or older. Also any weapon that is specifically mentioned on the BATFE C&R list.

Yeah!! What he said
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
dealer pricing at Midway and Brownell's as well as a few other places is a nice bonus.   Just sent the ATF another $30.00 for 3 more years and sent a copy of the renewal to Sheriff Donny Harrison to be compliant..
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks all for the responses. The reason I asked, is Item 14 of the application requires me to initial the following:

The activity to be conducted under the Federal firearms license is not prohibited by Sate or local law at the premises shown in Item 3. This includes compliance with zoning ordinances.

Based on this, it might not be the business of the planning office to know I am applying, it seems to be my business to know if there are any zoning laws to the contrary
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#10]
You are collecting, not engaging in any business.  If you are not prohibited by law from owning guns where you live, you are not prohibited by law from having a C&R license.  If I can have one, in an apartment in Carrboro, you can have one in a house in Durham.  Since you are not in a business, they can't zone you out of it.  Besides, under state law, they can't use zoning laws to discriminate against gun businesses.  So, assuming you lived in an area that was zoned for business, you could have a regular FFL and they couldn't stop you.  

Seriously, it's no big deal.  Just write legibly and make sure you initial the boxes on pg. 3 instead of making a check mark.  

It's almost worth it just for the sake of the ATF state by state firearms laws book that they will send you.  The thing is huge, and filled with everything.  Very worthwhile.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top