Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 8:54:17 PM EDT
So here's the info.

My eldest son has passed the ASVAB test and will be sworn in as a USMC recruit.

He will be shipping out to boot camp on the 24th of October...Camp Pendleton,Ca.

If none of this makes any sense ...Just understand...That my eldest son (21 yrs.) will be going to boot camp to become the best he will ever be...A United States Marine!!!  

Semper Fi...Wally

One proud Dad
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Oorah

Mark
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Good on em, i say !
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent news!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations, Wally, and well done to Zionis Jnr.

Matt
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#6]
The world feels safer allready

James
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow!!

Check your mail....

Dave
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice one Wally
Be sure to post pics when you got em.

Taffy
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys

But leave it up to the bloody Officers...

He passed the ASVAB and Physicall...Only to now be told that there was a SNAFU and now needs 15 College credits to be sworn in

His Sgt. was pissed and so am I.

I give it up to my son...He is going to comply...Do what ever it takes to join

I'm now even more proud of my son, as he is still head strong and will not give up. To me that is a sign of a man that knows the direction of his life!!!

Semper Fi...Wally

I'll keep ya posted.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well done and congratulations Wally…

But didn't he ever consider becoming a 'real' Marine?

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/2650.html

ANdy

Who took the Shores of Tripoli? da USMC!
who took the halls of Monteczuma? da USMC!
who took Midway? da USMC!
who took Guadalcanal? da USMC!
who took Iwo Jima? da USMC!

'nuff said.

...although your chaps are good too

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

Who took the Shores of Tripoli? da USMC!
who took the halls of Monteczuma? da USMC!
who took Midway? da USMC!
who took Guadalcanal? da USMC!
who took Iwo Jima? da USMC!

'nuff said.

A back up from a Texan is all a need

All Wally jr. has to do is enroll for said college credits and will be sworn in that day. Upon completion he will be be shipped out to boot same day.

In Honour of my son and the Corps...Semper (Fucking) Fi !!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Why did he need the credits?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:25:08 AM EDT
[#13]
What's credit points?

Mark
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#14]
He never finished High School. Although he did get his GED ( General Educational Development) the Marine Corps now requires that he have a minimun of 15 college credits.

If he had finished the 10th grade there would be no problem. You can drop out of school during the 11th grade and get a GED but not the 10th

After he enrolls this week for some college classes, he'll get his background check and finger printing done and get sworn in that day.  Once he recieves the credits...it's off to boot camp.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
He never finished High School. Although he did get his GED ( General Educational Development) the Marine Corps now requires that he have a minimun of 15 college credits.

If he had finished the 10th grade there would be no problem. You can drop out of school during the 11th grade and get a GED but not the 10th

After he enrolls this week for some college classes, he'll get his background check and finger printing done and get sworn in that day.  Once he recieves the credits...it's off to boot camp.

What's the obsession with fingerprinting everyone?
Am I right in thinking that for any federal job, and plenty of othertypes of employment, you have to have your prints taken and held by big brother? If you leave do the records get deleted?
I've only had my prints taken once, and after they were eliminated from those collected from the crime scene (our house was robbed) they were handed back to me for disposal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't think ANYTHING gets deleted, despite what some offcial may tell us. Every time I renew for my ccw I have to get finger printed and will again soon when I fill out the paper work for my sound suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the obsession with fingerprinting everyone?
Am I right in thinking that for any federal job, and plenty of othertypes of employment, you have to have your prints taken and held by big brother? If you leave do the records get deleted?
I've only had my prints taken once, and after they were eliminated from those collected from the crime scene (our house was robbed) they were handed back to me for disposal.

Matt
You telling me the local nick does not have a ....

Taffy
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

Who took the Shores of Tripoli? da USMC!We didn't have to, they left us alone
 ...if I recall my history, you guys paid ramsons to the Barbery pirates to be left alone

who took the halls of Monteczuma? da USMC!Fighting Mexicans doesn't count as a 'battle'
 ...The Mexicans beat the French and threw them out of Mexico(okay, not the best example)

who took Midway? da USMC!From who? The Gooney Birds?
...from fierce, fight to the death Japanese

who took Guadalcanal? da USMC!These guys!
...see above

tinypic.com/efm44o.jpg

who took Iwo Jima? da USMC!John Wayne!
...the Marines at Iwo Jima would make John Wayne look like a sissy-boy!

tinypic.com/efm4b9.jpg

'nuff said.

Good?  Who took back the Falklands outnumbered 3:1… British Marines and Paras!

You guys are OK but we do it with less… tanks? BRITISH Marines don't need no stupid tanks

ANdy

you're right,  describing the Royal Marines as "good" is a gross understatement!(I should be flogged, drawn and quatered and my severed head impaled upon a pike, where the townspeople shall be invited to throw rotten potatoes and tomatoes at it and shout disparaging insults! And ravenous birds to peck out my eyes!)

I don't know much about the Falklands war but I know your guys kicked ass!

...were Royal Marines the ones who made prince Andrew(?) cry?

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

who took the halls of Monteczuma? da USMC!Fighting Mexicans doesn't count as a 'battle'
 ...The Mexicans beat the French and threw them out of Mexico(okay, not the best example)

SO… the USMC's first big battle was to kick the ass of a bunch of guys who kicked the Phrenchies ass's  The Boys SCouts could take the Phrench ARmy!
...the USMC is older than the Republic, so my guess is that the first battles were with the Brits!

No, that was his baby Brother Edward 'Wanker' Windsor they made cry

…… "Who's a naughty boy and been giving it the Nifty Fifty in the showers than"?

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

Who took the Shores of Tripoli? da USMC!We didn't have to, they left us alone
 ...if I recall my history, you guys paid ramsons to the Barbery pirates to be left alone

who took Midway? da USMC!From who? The Gooney Birds?
...from fierce, fight to the death Japanese

who took Guadalcanal? da USMC!These guys!
...see above

tinypic.com/efm44o.jpg

who took Iwo Jima? da USMC!John Wayne!
...the Marines at Iwo Jima would make John Wayne look like a sissy-boy!

tinypic.com/efm4b9.jpg

'nuff said.

Good?  Who took back the Falklands outnumbered 3:1… British Marines and Paras!

You guys are OK but we do it with less… tanks? BRITISH Marines don't need no stupid tanks

ANdy

you're right,  describing the Royal Marines as "good" is a gross understatement!(I should be flogged, drawn and quatered and my severed head impaled upon a pike, where the townspeople shall be invited to throw rotten potatoes and tomatoes at it and shout disparaging insults! And ravenous birds to peck out my eyes!)

I don't know much about the Falklands war but I know your guys kicked ass!

The Falklands War was the first time the British Harrier was used in combat.
Against overwealming odds they proved their metal.
Thus our American cousins had to have them. They are a great versatile weapons platform. And engineer friendly. Did you know the wings are only held on with 6 bolts.

I enjoyed working on the Panavia MRCA Tornado but my favorite aircraft to work on was the Phantom. F4's  Kick Ass.

taffy

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#24]
No offense, but why does a fighter plane need to hover? I'm sure a helicopter could do a better job at missions requiring hovering. The Marines have aquired the Osprey,which isn't a fighter plane but a small transport plane which cand hover like a heli.

I remember when the war broke out, It seemed to me that Spain, France and I think Italy supported the Argentines.(perhaps my memory is wrong, but that's how I remember it).  

as for Prince Edward, isn't he gay?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
No offense, but why does a fighter plane need to hover? I'm sure a helicopter could do a better job at missions requiring hovering. The Marines have aquired the Osprey,which isn't a fighter plane but a small transport plane which cand hover like a heli.

I remember when the war broke out, It seemed to me that Spain, France and I think Italy supported the Argentines.(perhaps my memory is wrong, but that's how I remember it).  

A fighter plane does not "Need" to hover.
But just look at the avantages it offers.
Helicopters make very stable platforms.
Fast jets are good for defence and agression.
The Harrier offers many roles but it does not claim to be a jack of all trades like the Tornado tried to be. The Tornado was/is a mish mash of technology and roles it does not excel at anything but it has its moments. Low level with the worlds best pilots makes it a great aircraft but the Harrier was greatly underated and overpowered by the Argies in the Falklands conflict.
Yet with our fly boys we made good and the aircraft was seen for what it truly is. My father was a chief tech on Harriers (and Tornado) and he got to fly in a t-Bird from a Forest location. I'll find the pics. He takes great pleasure in reminding me about the flights he's had. i'm very jelous.
He's flown in the Harrier/Tornado/hawk and Gnat and he's only an engineer. But when he was on the Gnat's he was with the Red-Arrows....

Sorry for the ramble

Taffy
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Not a ramble, interesting........... Am i right in thinking that the harrier is one of the few planes that can VIF (Vector in Flight), making them particularly "cunning" in dogfights?  
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll let Andy give the lecture on "vectored thrust" with the Pegasus then I'll correct any errors...

Dont forget the unique water injection system and the puffer duct hovering system.

Taffy

Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  !!!!!

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A fighter plane does not "Need" to hover.
But just look at the avantages it offers.
Helicopters make very stable platforms.
Fast jets are good for defence and agression.
The Harrier offers many roles but it does not claim to be a jack of all trades like the Tornado tried to be. The Tornado was/is a mish mash of technology and roles it does not excel at anything but it has its moments. Low level with the worlds best pilots makes it a great aircraft but the Harrier was greatly underated and overpowered by the Argies in the Falklands conflict.
Yet with our fly boys we made good and the aircraft was seen for what it truly is. My father was a chief tech on Harriers (and Tornado) and he got to fly in a t-Bird from a Forest location. I'll find the pics. He takes great pleasure in reminding me about the flights he's had. i'm very jelous.
He's flown in the Harrier/Tornado/hawk and Gnat and he's only an engineer. But when he was on the Gnat's he was with the Red-Arrows....

Sorry for the ramble

Taffy

Ramble Taffy...Ramble

I do like the Harrier...seen many an aircraft at the Air shows in Ft Worth, Tx... Carswell AFB

As a matter of fact...I have a question for you...............See the new thread entitled " Aviation Hawks"

Semper Fi...Do or die...hoorah..hoorah !!!........Wally
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:52:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I do like the Harrier...seen many an aircraft at the Air shows in Ft Worth, Tx... Carswell AFB

As a matter of fact...I have a question for you...............See the new thread entitled " Aviation Hawks"

Semper Fi...Do or die...hoorah..hoorah !!!........Wally

I was an airshow a few years ago, and there was a big x-wind component (like 90degrees), low cloud (less than 1000') and imminent threat of rain. The Red Arrows did a low flyby and disappeared. The Harrier did the full low level fast/slow stuff and gave a great show. Nearly everything else was cancelled.

Then an old, original, Fieseler Storch taxied along the grass strip in front of the Royal Pavilion (Prince Andrew and Fergie were in attendance). This was IWM Duxford and these old planes live there. It was an impromptue showing, as there were so many slots available, most displays were cancelled by the weather.

It turned to face the crowd (into wind) - then powered up!

It accellerated to take off speed (about 10mph GS in the crosswind) and lifted into the air and hovered. It proceded to do the exact same display that the Harrier did (without the fast flybys, of course), I think it was the same pilot, IIRC. This plane was over 50 years old. Very impressive, off-the-cuff display.

I do like the Harrier.

Matt
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:32:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

He's gayer than the Village People … I have it on good authority that Prince Andrew swings both ways…

ANdy

Do you now?

Something you wanna tell us Andy??

Mark
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:09:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top