Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2008 7:58:45 PM EDT
I have a bet with someone and need the 411. If your in your boat on a lake in Texas and it's safe could you shoot. Whats the laws about this. I've never heard of anyone being arested for shooting skeet on a lake. Common sense tells ya not to shot a rifle across a lake and have it bounce 3 miles but I know thay shoot ballons and skeet off-shore, but what about inshore lakes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Aren't all the lakes in TX Federal property except for Caddo lake?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]
We used to hunt the Type II lands at Lake Pat Mays(?) 10 years ago and shot off a John Boat with a duck blind on it.  I have shot off boats down here in Houston as well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The lake on my property is mine, and I will shoot what I want when I want with no gubment permission.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:05:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't speak for every lake but in general the answer is yes, you can shoot.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Aren't all the lakes in TX Federal property except for Caddo lake?

No.  But Corps of Engineer Lakes have strict regulations regarding firearms.  And lakes that are within the jurdisiction of municipalities that have laws against the discharge of firearms in the city limits would be an issue too.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I was going to exclude huntting in my first post but didn't. I ment if I were to take a skeet thrower and shoot skeet off the bow of my boat could or would a game warden be albe to give a ticket/make me stop if no one was in harms way? Just the thought of a bunch of us out there shooting on a lake is a funny fuggn funny thought Time to make kevlar life jackets.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Corps of Engineer Lakes have strict regulations regarding firearms.  

Is there somewhere I could read about the regulations?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Which lake are you talking about? Public or private? That is the question....
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's different for each place. Google Corp of Engineers *Your Lake Name* and it should come up with the district that it's in and you can access the information from there.

We do a ton of hunting on Corp land and for the most part where we are at, they don't really care what you do as long as it's within Texas hunting laws. We spotlight, some people use dogs and sometimes I shoot Oklahoma from across the Red River just because I can.

Here's the info for a local lake and yes, they allow hunting from a boat on it.

www.swt.usace.army.mil/recreat/ViewHuntingMessage.cfm?tblMessages__LakeName=Lake%20Texoma
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Lake Livingston,Conroe, Houston. Public mostly.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's different for each place. Google Corp of Engineers *Your Lake Name* and it should come up with the district that it's in and you can access the information from there.

We do a ton of hunting on Corp land and for the most part where we are at, they don't really care what you do as long as it's within Texas hunting laws. We spotlight, some people use dogs and sometimes I shoot Oklahoma from across the Red River just because I can.

Here's the info for a local lake and yes, they allow hunting from a boat on it.

www.swt.usace.army.mil/recreat/ViewHuntingMessage.cfm?tblMessages__LakeName=Lake%20Texoma

Hunting is an allowable exception.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Title 36 -- Parks, Forests, and Public Property
CHAPTER 111 -- U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
PART 327--RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS

Its been posted here several times;

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
(4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
(b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.

www.swf.usace.army.mil/pubdata/ops/recnres/title36.pdf
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lake Livingston,Conroe, Houston. Public mostly.

Livingston is not a corps lake

Conroe is not a Corps lake

Houston is not a corps lake.

Remember, all laws of any municipality in which the lake resides have full effect on the lake.  Like ones against discharging firearms in the city limits.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#15]
For Arguments sake, I live right by Lake Buchanan, which is LCRA lake (I guess).  There are small  un-inhabited islands in the lake-- depending on water level.  Its a good sized lake, 31 miles long and 5 miles wide.  Could I shoot to the islands from a boat?  What about from boat to platform?  Or boat shooting at floating balloons or such?  Just in devils advocate mode.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Lake livingston has an island called Pine island too and it to would be perfect for some moving target pratice. Whats the leed at 10knots
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:41:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
For Arguments sake, I live right by Lake Buchanan, which is LCRA lake (I guess).  There are small  un-inhabited islands in the lake-- depending on water level.  Its a good sized lake, 31 miles long and 5 miles wide.  Could I shoot to the islands from a boat?  What about from boat to platform?  Or boat shooting at floating balloons or such?  Just in devils advocate mode.

Thanks

You would have to see if the lake is in any jurdisdiction that prohibits the discharge of firearms.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#18]
For Lake Conroe I'm pretty sure you have to be north of the 1097 bridge. Call your local TPW Game Warden.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top