Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 5:31:59 PM EDT
I was looking around on the KY wildlife management site and if I read correctly, you only need a centerfire to hunt white tail in KY.  Would a KY hunter please tell me what I mis-understood?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
It is true. I would recommend you keep the range under 150 yards, use heavy (75 Gr.) bullets, and be picky with your shots. Others will agree and disagree with me.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought Fish and Wildlife was going to pass the law, no less than .100 grain while hunting white-tail.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
No requirement on bullet weight. There is, however, a magazine limt so look around for a ten rounder.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Gents, I really appreciate the confirmation / information.  I don't know if I will actually use an AR when I visit my buddy later this fall.  TN actually requires a .24 cal or bigger.  Personally, I think it should be based on energy delivered, but then at what range?  Different states find different solutions.  If I could ever get my hands on a case of 6.8 I would build myself the white tail rifle I have in my mind's eye.  Thanks again!  Steve
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
You must use a 9 round mag.  Your firearm cannot have the ability to hold more than 10 rounds of ammo.  So if you rifles mag held 10 in the mag it could also hold 1 in the chamber.  Doublestar or JT Distributing sold 9 rd mags in the past.  I bet they still have some.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#6]
This is incorrect. It is 10+1 in the chamber. It is on page 13, left column, of the 2005 - 2006 Hunting guide put out by the Ky department of fish and wildlife.

Bob

Quoted:
You must use a 9 round mag.  Your firearm cannot have the ability to hold more than 10 rounds of ammo.  So if you rifles mag held 10 in the mag it could also hold 1 in the chamber.  Doublestar or JT Distributing sold 9 rd mags in the past.  I bet they still have some.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I busted a buck and a doe last year with my AR. Actually, I was using M855 which, I have now found out , you cant use. (non hollowpoint).

I kilt the buck prone off a bipod at about 250 meters. Piled him up first shot.

Next day I was roadhunting at dawn and saw a doe standing in brush: 9 o'clock at 40 meters. I bailed out and made a running headshot on da bitch. Hooahh! Offhand.

Yup, we can use AR's fer deer in KY. They work, too!

ETA: My neck is swelling already and it's only September!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:02:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I have killed at least four with my cars over the last couple year.  

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I busted a buck and a doe last year with my AR. Actually, I was using M855 which, I have now found out , you cant use. (non hollowpoint).

Next day I was roadhunting at dawn and saw a doe standing in brush: 9 o'clock at 40 meters. I bailed out and made a running headshot on da bitch. Hooahh! Offhand.

I thought you could not hunt from vehicles?

Bob
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought you could not hunt from vehicles?

Bob

You cain't shoot from a vehicle. I bailed out and ran off the road on foot to shoot.

One CAN legally shoot from a parked vehicle if one has a disabled hunter license.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#11]
And you can run the suckers down....

Doesn't seem a day goes by hardly when I don't have the opportunity to hit several with
my car on the way home.  Two days ago, it was 5 baby ones by themselves.  

Sometimes they run into you...which happened with the BMW two weeks ago..that hurt

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#12]
AR's are to loud for hunting, scares off the prey.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
AR's are to loud for hunting, scares off the prey.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top