Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/28/2005 5:31:59 PM EDT
I was looking around on the KY wildlife management site and if I read correctly, you only need a centerfire to hunt white tail in KY. Would a KY hunter please tell me what I mis-understood? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:22:26 PM EDT
It is true. I would recommend you keep the range under 150 yards, use heavy (75 Gr.) bullets, and be picky with your shots. Others will agree and disagree with me.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:27:34 AM EDT
I thought Fish and Wildlife was going to pass the law, no less than .100 grain while hunting white-tail.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:24:14 PM EDT
No requirement on bullet weight. There is, however, a magazine limt so look around for a ten rounder.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:29:07 PM EDT
Gents, I really appreciate the confirmation / information. I don't know if I will actually use an AR when I visit my buddy later this fall. TN actually requires a .24 cal or bigger. Personally, I think it should be based on energy delivered, but then at what range? Different states find different solutions. If I could ever get my hands on a case of 6.8 I would build myself the white tail rifle I have in my mind's eye. Thanks again! Steve
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:45:15 PM EDT
You must use a 9 round mag. Your firearm cannot have the ability to hold more than 10 rounds of ammo. So if you rifles mag held 10 in the mag it could also hold 1 in the chamber. Doublestar or JT Distributing sold 9 rd mags in the past. I bet they still have some.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:24:54 AM EDT
This is incorrect. It is 10+1 in the chamber. It is on page 13, left column, of the 2005 - 2006 Hunting guide put out by the Ky department of fish and wildlife.

Bob

Originally Posted By 13foxtrot:
You must use a 9 round mag. Your firearm cannot have the ability to hold more than 10 rounds of ammo. So if you rifles mag held 10 in the mag it could also hold 1 in the chamber. Doublestar or JT Distributing sold 9 rd mags in the past. I bet they still have some.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:20:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2005 1:21:53 AM EDT by pcsutton]
I busted a buck and a doe last year with my AR. Actually, I was using M855 which, I have now found out , you cant use. (non hollowpoint).

I kilt the buck prone off a bipod at about 250 meters. Piled him up first shot.

Next day I was roadhunting at dawn and saw a doe standing in brush: 9 o'clock at 40 meters. I bailed out and made a running headshot on da bitch. Hooahh! Offhand.

Yup, we can use AR's fer deer in KY. They work, too!

ETA: My neck is swelling already and it's only September!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:02:15 AM EDT
I have killed at least four with my cars over the last couple year.

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:32:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pcsutton:
I busted a buck and a doe last year with my AR. Actually, I was using M855 which, I have now found out , you cant use. (non hollowpoint).

Next day I was roadhunting at dawn and saw a doe standing in brush: 9 o'clock at 40 meters. I bailed out and made a running headshot on da bitch. Hooahh! Offhand.

I thought you could not hunt from vehicles?

Bob
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:41:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ky_Bob:

Originally Posted By pcsutton:

I thought you could not hunt from vehicles?

Bob

You cain't shoot from a vehicle. I bailed out and ran off the road on foot to shoot.

One CAN legally shoot from a parked vehicle if one has a disabled hunter license.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:27:38 AM EDT
And you can run the suckers down....

Doesn't seem a day goes by hardly when I don't have the opportunity to hit several with
my car on the way home. Two days ago, it was 5 baby ones by themselves.

Sometimes they run into you...which happened with the BMW two weeks ago..that hurt

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:51:20 PM EDT
AR's are to loud for hunting, scares off the prey.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:43:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GlockFanatic:
AR's are to loud for hunting, scares off the prey.

Top Top