Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 2:18:02 PM EDT
Im moving back to wisconsin soon, but dont know the answer to this one.

If someone breaks in your house, do you have the right to use deadly force to protect yourself/family?

I know that most states in the south have a law that addresses this and basically says its ok, but what about wisconsin?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are defending yourself and your family (and can prove it to a liberal jury) then you are good to go against criminal prosecution (civil is another matter). You will probably spend at least a couple of days in jail but that kinda comes with the having committed a homicide (whether it is justifiable or not is a moot point at particular junction).
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Only if you are in fear of your or family's life.
Over Property NO!
I believe you are talking about the castle doctrine I don't think we have It in Wisconsin yet
Im sure one of our resident LEOs will chime in.
www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0052.htm
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#3]
No castle doctrine in Wisconsin.

You must have reasonable fear that you or another are in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm.  If someone kicks in your door while armed, I think you could make an argument those criteria are met.  

Shooting over property is expressly prohibited.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#4]
No body no crime.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No body no crime.

Wrong.  You don't need a body for a homicide case to be brought.
Link Posted: 8/9/2008 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No body no crime.

Joke.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 1:32:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No body no crime.

But it's pretty damn hard to prove homicide without a dead body.

Glenn covered the rest of the question.

Speaking of Glenn, I'm mad at you.  Come right through town and you don't even look me up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#8]
The trick (which is the same whenever you are talking to the cops about having just shot or shot at someone) is..... " I will cooperate fully once I speak with a lawyer".

Guy kicks in your door at 3 am and you shoot him, How many witnesses are there to say what really happened, probably only 2. And one of them was commiting a felony in your house (and may be dead). The only way anyone is going to know he DIDN'T say " I am going to kill you" and reached in his pocket is if YOU tell them that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
No body no crime.

But it's pretty damn hard to prove homicide without a dead body. Especially with the additional complication of anyone knowing where said criminal was at the time of his disappearance would probably be seen as complicit in the home invasion, and not likely to testify. Of course, you would still be better off reporting it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No body no crime.

But it's pretty damn hard to prove homicide without a dead body.

Especially with the additional complication of anyone knowing where said criminal was at the time of his disappearance would probably be seen as complicit in the home invasion, and not likely to testify. Of course, you would still be better off reporting it.

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 2:33:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Speaking of Glenn, I'm mad at you.  Come right through town and you don't even look me up.

Hey, after scheduling the arfcom dinner on the one weekend I couldn't make, I'm not sure you should throw rocks.  

Even considering not reporting a shooting--much less a homicide!!--is incredibly, outstandingly unwise.  I can think of a couple of cases that may have been legitimate self-defense, but the defendant panicked & ran, or panicked & hid the body.  There's a very strong presumption that "flight = guilt".  If it was legitimate, own up to your own actions.  If you're concealing what happened, you're probably guilty.

And that 3rd witness, the getaway driver or guy who chickened-out before coming in...guess what?  He'll be in trouble again, and will sing like a canary to cut a deal.  And information on a homicide is good deal material.

So whether it's out of integrity, or mere fear of the consequences, please stand up for your own actions.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 3:01:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, after scheduling the arfcom dinner on the one weekend I couldn't make, I'm not sure you should throw rocks.  

As I do recall, you weren't present at the last one either...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top