Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2014 5:42:53 PM EDT
.....thinking of taking it to deer camp this year with my FUDD relatives at Chickasawhatchee near Albany...

GTG?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I say yes gtg.

Keep track of the laws for your own sake though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.....thinking of taking it to deer camp this year with my FUDD relatives at Chickasawhatchee near Albany...

GTG?

I say yes gtg.

Source? I didn't think the DNR has ruled on this yet????

I hope I am wrong.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
So far the regs say private property with the owner's permission. I haven't seen anything about public land yet.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:35:35 AM EDT
[#4]
WMAs fall under the DNR, and according to one local warden, it is up to the individual warden.

I am sure that the individual warden will be directed by the higher ups at the DNR.

So get on the phones and emails, and contact the State DNR and make your voices heard.

Great strides were made in getting the bill passed, but do not give up.

The whole permission things needs to be done away with, and with pressure it can be done.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So far the regs say private property with the owner's permission. I haven't seen anything about public land yet.
View Quote

This is my understanding as well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did some digging around online.  Like you said, the hunting regs for this year only address private property.  Guess I will leave the can at home and not risk getting "permission" from some warden over the phone.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Game warden permission is a crap idea .
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. Pretty dumb.  Tired of govt. permission slips.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Just downloaded the new hunt regs pdf. The word suppressor only appears twice:

• Suppressors: Lawfully possessed suppressors may be used for hunting
on private property. Permission of the landowner is required.
View Quote

So no suppressors on WMAs is my interpretation, regardless of DNR permission.

Regs PDF here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Regs PDF here.
View Quote

I unfortunately came to the same conclusion.  WMA isn't private property and the DNR was presumably strongly against hunting with suppressors to begin with so they won't find in our favor.  My property actually borders a WMA and I can walk to my hunting spot, but I am rejoining a club down the road mainly so I can hunt with a suppressor this year.  It sounds like there is still work to be done to get this officially expanded to public land.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I say yes gtg.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

GTG?

I say yes gtg.

What does that even mean?  How can you endose an action as GTG without even knowing the law?  This is the type of "advice" that gets people in all sort of trouble, to include arrest and prosecution.  And the game warden will not be impressed when someone says "but arfcom said I was gtg!".

Here is the actual law.

(9) The use of silencers or suppressors for hunting within this state is prohibited; provided, however, that a silencer or suppressor may be used for hunting on the private property of the person using such silencer or suppressor, on private property for which the owner of such property has provided verifiable permission to the person using such silencer or suppressor, and on public lands in areas designated by the department.

(b) (1) It shall be illegal to use a silencer or suppressor for hunting in violation of paragraph (9) of subsection (a) of this Code section. A person who violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

(2) The hunting privileges of any person who has been convicted of violating the provisions of this title or any rule or regulation promulgated pursuant thereto by hunting without landowner permission, hunting in an area that is closed for hunting, or hunting big game out of season or at night with a firearm equipped with a suppressor shall be suspended for three years.

It would seem to be a reasonable ASSUMPTION that DNR has declined to make any public lands "designated", interpreting the 2014-15 hunting booklet.  But the only way to know for sure would be to call DNR and ask.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What does that even mean?  How can you endose an action as GTG without even knowing the law?  This is the type of "advice" that gets people in all sort of trouble, to include arrest and prosecution.  And the game warden will not be impressed when someone says "but arfcom said I was gtg!".

Here is the actual law.

(9) The use of silencers or suppressors for hunting within this state is prohibited; provided, however, that a silencer or suppressor may be used for hunting on the private property of the person using such silencer or suppressor, on private property for which the owner of such property has provided verifiable permission to the person using such silencer or suppressor, and on public lands in areas designated by the department.

(b) (1) It shall be illegal to use a silencer or suppressor for hunting in violation of paragraph (9) of subsection (a) of this Code section. A person who violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

(2) The hunting privileges of any person who has been convicted of violating the provisions of this title or any rule or regulation promulgated pursuant thereto by hunting without landowner permission, hunting in an area that is closed for hunting, or hunting big game out of season or at night with a firearm equipped with a suppressor shall be suspended for three years.

It would seem to be a reasonable ASSUMPTION that DNR has declined to make any public lands "designated", interpreting the 2014-15 hunting booklet.  But the only way to know for sure would be to call DNR and ask.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GTG?

I say yes gtg.

Here is the actual law.

I think you are right.  The lack of wording regarding state land worries me, phone approval or not.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Regs PDF here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Regs PDF here.

Aren't laws usually meant to restrict actions rather than grant them?  Shouldn't that mean that we are allowed because they are not strictly forbidding it?

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Aren't laws usually meant to restrict actions rather than grant them?  Shouldn't that mean that we are allowed because they are not strictly forbidding it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regs PDF here.

Interesting angle here.  State code would seemingly apply to state property no?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Regs PDF here.

It IS strictly forbidden, with exceptions.

Exception one:  on private property

Exception two:  On state land that the DNR approves.

The DNR apparently approves no state land.

Thus, hunting on state land with silencers is forbidden (at this moment in time).
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I am not arguing with you because I believe you are correct, but where it is strictly forbidden? In the GA state law or the hunting regs?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am not arguing with you because I believe you are correct, but where it is strictly forbidden? In the GA state law or the hunting regs?
View Quote

The regs are written directly from the OCGA
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I  posted that before the updated regs came out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GTG?

I say yes gtg.

Here is the actual law.

I  posted that before the updated regs came out.

I was in a class with a DNR Ranger on Thursday.  He said as of right now there are NO public lands designated for supressors yet.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks to everyone in this thread.  Looks like the post above has me leaving the can at home.  

Oh well, should still be fun with the 10" blackout this year.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I asked and got the following response on the GA DNR facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/gadnrle/posts/393338280818370

For those that don't have Facebook:

Question: "I see in the new regulations that just came out for 2014-2015 that there is no mention of hunting with suppressors of WMA land specifically. The new law that was passed allows for use on private property with landowner permission and "and on public lands in areas designated by the department." Does that mean that DNR is not going to allow hunting with suppressors on public WMA land? Thanks for any clarification you can provide."

Response: "That is correct. Unless a WMA is specifically designated as such, you cannot use a suppressor on it. I can't speak as to what might happen in the future, but if it is a concern to you I would encourage you to come to any of the public meeting held around the state regarding the hunting regulations and voice your opinion. And Happy Hunting!"

Sounds like its a solid "no".  Feel free to let them know what you think on the link above or on their page.  I certainly intend to light up phone lines and let my opinion be known.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I asked and got the following response on the GA DNR facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/gadnrle/posts/393338280818370

Question: "I see in the new regulations that just came out for 2014-2015 that there is no mention of hunting with suppressors of WMA land specifically. The new law that was passed allows for use on private property with landowner permission and "and on public lands in areas designated by the department." Does that mean that DNR is not going to allow hunting with suppressors on public WMA land? Thanks for any clarification you can provide."

Response: "That is correct. Unless a WMA is specifically designated as such, you cannot use a suppressor on it. I can't speak as to what might happen in the future, but if it is a concern to you I would encourage you to come to any of the public meeting held around the state regarding the hunting regulations and voice your opinion. And Happy Hunting!"

Sounds like its a solid "no".  Feel free to let them know what you think on the link above or on their page.  I certainly intend to light up phone lines and let my opinion be known.

View Quote

Yep.  I am afraid the FUDD is strong with them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:33:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually you would be surprised.  Most of the Rangers I know have zero issue with suppressors being used.  I think most of the issues are at the top.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:51:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Actually you would be surprised.  Most of the Rangers I know have zero issue with suppressors being used.  I think most of the issues are at the top.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd believe that.  The folks in the field tend to relate better to hunters, vs the higher ups in the city.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
I posted the relevant state law above.

There is no conflict in state law vs what the rulebook says, but if there were ever a conflict I'm going to err on the side of the OCGA.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Who should we contact about this? Since it's an election year, I'm willing to bet the old Fudds at the DNR/Gov's office will be more receptive than usual.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Who should we contact about this? Since it's an election year, I'm willing to bet the old Fudds at the DNR/Gov's office will be more receptive than usual.
View Quote

Your elected reps first of all.

You can also attend one of these and voice your opinion, perhaps.  http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/3679
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top