Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 1:16:48 PM EDT
I just got a pre-ban mini14 and I want it cut to 16" or less plus this:

who can do this?
Am i better of cutting it to 16 and threading, or cutting it below 16 and permanently attaching som'g.

I'm figuring this for a beater rifle that I wanna keep as small aspossible, so 15" and a permanent vortex would be my personal choice.

what's yours?
and who cuts barrels downstate?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If you cut it, what are you going to do for a front sight?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no ban how is it you have a pre ban ?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
new york buddy.... where you been?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#4]
perma-ban.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:37:15 AM EDT
[#5]
My Mini-14 was the one rifle I never regretted selling because it was a complete POS.  Leave it as it is.  If you cut the barrel, the accuracy will be much worse than it already is.  Just my .02.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#6]
there is some SERIOUS mini-14 aimosity here.  I will check out the ruger for myself when it comes and range report it back to all the non-believers.  For the price of an upper Igot a pre--ban underfolding rifle.  I don't care if its a fucking musket, it's preban and underfolding and it was frikkin CHEAP.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
there is some SERIOUS mini-14 aimosity here.  I will check out the ruger for myself when it comes and range report it back to all the non-believers.  For the price of an upper Igot a pre--ban underfolding rifle.  I don't care if its a fucking musket, it's preban and underfolding and it was frikkin CHEAP.

Well, having owned one, I can speak from experience.  It is a nice rifle with a cheap POS $13 barrel.  Underfolder????  Sounds like an aftermarket stock.  That is why it was cheap.  The Ruger Mini-14 GB model, which was sold to police depts., came with a side folding stock, FH and bayo lug.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#8]
raptor, of course of course and of course......
ARE YOU THE BARREL CUTTER RAPTOR?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey, I've got a hack saw. I'll cut it for you CHEAP!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
raptor, of course of course and of course......
ARE YOU THE BARREL CUTTER RAPTOR?

No, I am just trying to keep you from......AAARRRGGGHHH!  What SP10 said!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
it's just that the folks at LRB said that the guy making their garands into tankers was a "raptor" on a different RKBA forum.  thought you and he might be the same.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#12]
There is a saying that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. But you can most certainly try. Reflect on that pearl of wisdom, grasshopper.........
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#13]
jeeebuz - I got the thing for 350!!!! give me a goddddddddd##d break.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
jeeebuz - I got the thing for 350!!!! give me a goddddddddd##d break.

You paid $50 too much.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just got a pre-ban mini14 and I want it cut to 16" or less plus this:www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/product_images/1221/RGR-050.jpg

who can do this?
Am i better of cutting it to 16 and threading, or cutting it below 16 and permanently attaching som'g.

I'm figuring this for a beater rifle that I wanna keep as small aspossible, so 15" and a permanent vortex would be my personal choice.

what's yours?
and who cuts barrels downstate?

Forget about the crappy pin on flashhider + You are going to need a front sight, The Ruger F/S will not fit due to the step in the barrel. Look on "E" bay/Gunbroker/ AR15 EE for a Ruger Flash Hider & AC 556 gas block/Front sight.
I cut my factory preban folder down to 15", Threaded & Mounted (Set screw & Welded over, Gives me 16.5 ")  a Ruger GB Flash hider & Installed an AC556 gas block front sight. Love the gun, My next move is to remove the Blue finish & Park it.
You can do it yourself its pretty easy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
it's just that the folks at LRB said that the guy making their garands into tankers was a "raptor" on a different RKBA forum.  thought you and he might be the same.

No, that is not me.  I am up in Orange County.  Garr just gave you pretty sound advice.  Cutting the barrel is no biggie as a DIY job.  Remove the pin holding the front site in place, remove the front site, and use a chop saw with a metal cutting blade.  That will give you a straight cut.

Quoted:

Ruger maintains 8MOA (8" at 100 yards roughly) is acceptable.  If yours does 4MOA, you got a good one.  If it does better than 4MOA you got damn lucky.  It's pie plate accuracy at 100 yards.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:18:35 AM EDT
[#17]
That wasn't constructive advice was it?
Are you guys getting soft on me?
But seriously, is the barrel cutting easy to screw up...?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:18:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That wasn't constructive advice was it?
Are you guys getting soft on me?
But seriously, is the barrel cutting easy to screw up...?

It's Hard to screw up, If you have access to a cut off saw use it, If you have access to a power miter saw switch the blade to a metal cutoff blade (Home Depot sells them for around $5), That will give you a nice square cut, Clean it up & you are done. If you want to recrown Brownells sells the recrowning cutter, Just use plenty of cutting oil when using so the blade last. I bought the barrel threading dies from Threading tools.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top