Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 12:14:59 PM EDT
title says it all.

One of my buddies near hartley want to know this. I told him i would find out.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do that when he could support local shops?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the info

As for local shop there are not alot of shops in northwest IA and he use to live here in SD.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Correct me if I am wrong, yes he could buy one in a different state, but that dealer would have to send his purchase to an FFL holder in Iowa.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Correct me if I am wrong, yes he could buy one in a different state, but that dealer would have to send his purchase to an FFL holder in Iowa.

I think that is only for handguns.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

True for hand guns but the OP asked about long guns.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think in SD as long as you are of age, live in the contiguous us states, and wait the 48hr period you can purchase a handgun while there. So he wouldn't have to have it shipped to an ffl. Take legal ownership of it in SD and just come home. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty sure that's the case with long guns, but not handguns.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think in SD as long as you are of age, live in the contiguous us states, and wait the 48hr period you can purchase a handgun while there. So he wouldn't have to have it shipped to an ffl. Take legal ownership of it in SD and just come home. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope, handgun would need to be shipped to an FFL in your state of residence.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I was told that I'd have to ship back an 22lr AR from Cabelas in MN.  Don't know if it was store policy or state restriction.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope, handgun would need to be shipped to an FFL in your state of residence.

You are right, I'm wrong, kinda. I think I'm write about how it's written in SD law, but not Federal.

Federal law strictly prohibits the transfer or receipt of any firearm to a non-resident by a non-licensee... Rifles and shotguns are treated somewhat differently from handguns, and federal law does not prevent a qualified citizen who resides in another state from purchasing a rifle or shotgun in a face-to-face transaction with a federally licensed firearms dealer outside his state if: the purchase would be legal in both states, and if the regulatory requirements of both states are complied with. 18 USC 922 (b)(3)"

That being said, let me twist this around and pitch it back. So you can't sell a handgun to a non-resident. Okay. Let say someone from SD comes to Iowa with their personally owned handgun and sell it to an Iowa resident. They wouldn't be selling to a 'non-resident' who resides in another state. I assume I know the answer but thats why I ask questions.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top