Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2015 10:14:24 AM EDT
I have been presented with a good work opportunity for a summer internship in California. I don't intend on staying, so I'll be retaining my non resident status. I know I couldn't bring stuff that's illegal in your state, like a non bullet button AR-15, but what about a pump action 12 gauge? What are the rules concerning a non resident bringing guns to California? I'd be staying in Downtown Los Angeles, and honestly would feel a lot better if I had a gun at the apartment.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, as soon as you start a job in CA, the State considers you a resident.

Do not bring any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds (rifle and/or hand gun).

Do not bring any assault weapons.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as it's not an "assault weapon" and no 10+ round mags, you are good to go. Pump-guns are fine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
A job or internship qualifies to you as a resident. As such, you have 60 days to register any and all firearms you bring into CA with the CA DOJ.  You would be a "personal firearm importer" under CA law.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Downtown LA?

1. Buy Glock 43 before coming or other new must have handgun.
2. Keep new in case for protection
3. Sell it on Calguns before you leave CA for $$$$
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Downtown LA?

View Quote

The only problem with that is I'm not 21 yet. I still own pistols, legally of course. My state doesn't have any restrictions on handguns so gifting and private sales are good to go, although I'm guessing California is different. Isn't there some kind of safety certificate I would need to get to possess a handgun in California? I also thought carrying a gun in your vehicle is a big no no? I mean I have no idea, but I appreciate the answers so far guys.

Edit: Also... doesn't California have some kind of approved handgun list and micro stamping requirement for pistols? I'm not sure a G43 sold in my state would have that... lol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The only problem with that is I'm not 21 yet. I still own pistols, legally of course. My state doesn't have any restrictions on handguns so gifting and private sales are good to go, although I'm guessing California is different. Isn't there some kind of safety certificate I would need to get to possess a handgun in California? I also thought carrying a gun in your vehicle is a big no no? I mean I have no idea, but I appreciate the answers so far guys.

Edit: Also... doesn't California have some kind of approved handgun list and micro stamping requirement for pistols? I'm not sure a G43 sold in my state would have that... lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Downtown LA?

If you're under 21 you are kinda hosed on handguns here. We do have all sorts of restrictions on handguns here, they don't apply to people who are moving into state and bringing there personal handguns. Anyways, just bring a shotgun it will do what you need.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Define "downtown" Los Angeles" as you understand it.  Where you going to be?

Some people would say a pump gun is not enough.  Then again Ma Danby and I spent most of the day Saturday driving in "downtown",, north of the 10 west of the 710 and mostly east of the 110.  Serbian Cemetery at 3rd and Eastern, Coca-Cola building on Central, Arts/Wharehouse district, Alpine Heights, etc.  old family house locations, etc.  My brother, his family and Mom were there but mostly west of the 110 in the Sunset District and Hollywood.  None of us armed.  

So ymmv

Being smart is the best protection in LA.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Some people would say a pump gun is not enough.  Then again Ma Danby and I spent most of the day Saturday driving in "downtown",, north of the 10 west of the 710 and mostly east of the 110.  Serbian Cemetery at 3rd and Eastern, Coca-Cola building on Central, Arts/Wharehouse district, Alpine Heights, etc.  old family house locations, etc.  My brother, his family and Mom were there but mostly west of the 110 in the Sunset District and Hollywood.  None of us armed.  

So ymmv

View Quote

I'd be very close to Union Station, not sure about the specific street, but very, very close to the station. I'm not sure if that's considered a good or bad part of town, but I've never had a problem there. I've visited the area before and have never really felt unsafe in California except for a couple of instances (like the one time I accidentally drove through Compton at night ). So I agree with you on being smart about it. I'd be working in Vernon though. So really I'd just like to have the gun squirreled away in case there was a natural disaster or something and I couldn't leave the state.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The question remains - are you allowed to own/possess a handgun in CA, given that you are under 21 years of age.

If you are, you can transport it in your car unloaded and stored in a locked container.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I looked thru the tacked threads using "21 year" as a search phrase.  I found nothing about possession.  There is a provision that you cannot BUY a handgun or ammo if you are under 21 but I found nothing about possession.

I think the DOJ/AG's web site is the place to go for a good answer to this question.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:38:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd be very close to Union Station, not sure about the specific street, but very, very close to the station. I'm not sure if that's considered a good or bad part of town, but I've never had a problem there. I've visited the area before and have never really felt unsafe in California except for a couple of instances (like the one time I accidentally drove through Compton at night ). So I agree with you on being smart about it. I'd be working in Vernon though. So really I'd just like to have the gun squirreled away in case there was a natural disaster or something and I couldn't leave the state.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So ymmv

If you are on Bunker Hill, it's probably a good part, in some of the apartment complexes toward Chinatown on College Heights, they are nice just across the street it can get dicey.  Immediately north of the station in the projects, not so nice.

Sounds like you are ok   You are right by the Music Center, you should be able to get a deal on tickets.  I guess you can walk to the main library, Grand Central Market, once you get there they can get you oriented.  Walking in the day, fine, at night ehh not so sure.  In any case we were driving all over that area the other day, so we at least think it's ok.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Thanks, that's some good information.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Resident/Non-Resident status has no effect on what you can bring.  Take your 12 if you wish, just follow state/local laws regarding transport and storage.  Inside your home, you may store it as you wish.  

I was an OOS non-resident for 6 years living in DTLA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top