Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 3:13:27 PM EDT
I am looking into buying a few acres (probably 10 or so, maybe more), and am wondering if I would be able to shoot on my own land. I'm also wondering if I build a house on this land, if I can shoot animals that wander onto my property without a permit. Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm originally from New Jersey! I just moved to MI 6 months ago so I'm wondering what the law is regarding these issues. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:20:19 PM EDT
The legal ability to shoot on your own land is going to depend on your local ordinances. I think all State law requires is that you be at least 450 feet from any occupied dwellings or outbuildings unless you have the owners written permission. With 10 acres I imagine that you should be able to get further than 450 feet away from neighbors. Again, local ordinances vary quite a bit and there are communities where this probably wouldn't be legal.

Shooting critters is another whole ball of wax. Shoot somebodys family pet and you will most likely be facing legal troubles of some sort. As far as shooting wildlife, I suggest you check out the Michigan Hunting guide www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363-75201--,00.html

Good luck and welcome to the board and state.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2004 6:25:41 PM EDT by Lumpy223]
Ooops.........my mistake. The safety zone doesn't apply to target shooting. From the guide.......

Safety zones are all areas within 150 yards (450 feet) of an occupied building, house, cabin, or any barn or other building used in a farm operation. No person, including archery and crossbow hunters, may hunt or discharge a firearm, crossbow or bow in a safety zone, or shoot at any wild animal or wild bird within a safety zone, without the written permission of the owner or occupant of such safety zone. The safety zone applies to hunting only. It does not apply to indoor or outdoor shooting ranges, target shooting, law enforcement activities or the discharge of firearms, crossbows or bows for any non-hunting purpose.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:47:25 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. I'll check into the resources.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:00:42 AM EDT
Lumpy is right, as far as target shooting goes you can shoot out your kitchen window if you like. The state does not regulate target shooting on private property. All you have to watch out for would be something in a local ordinance like no shooting after 8pm or noise violations, that sort of stuff. I believe that you can shoot anything considered a nuiscance without a permit. This is stuff like groundhogs, squirrels, and raccoons, but definately check the rule book. Where are you in MI?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:33:56 AM EDT
I'm in west Michigan right now (Ludington).
Top Top