Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2008 8:24:04 PM EDT
I have a California buyer interested in my unmodified Yugo 59/66, fixed 10 round mag, with grenade launcher. Is Yugo 59/66 and grenade launcher legal in Califirnia? Can I mail direct if buyer has C&R? Or has to be FFL? Where to find California gun list and law?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:57:18 PM EDT
The grenade launcher would have to be removed or otherwise permanently rendered inoperable. Yugo 59/66's are not C&R eligible in California, as California C&R is 50 years or older, so no it would have to go to a FFL. Otherwise it it perfectly legal here.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 1:27:32 PM EDT
G/Ls on M59/66s have to be permanently disabled or removed; there's no problem with the rest of the rifle.

[My InterOrdnance-supplied M59/66 had its G/L disabled by a welding a steel sleeve around it'.]

The Yugo M59/66's G/L is intrinsically a CA-defined 'destructive device'. It should not be possessed within CA even separately from the firearm. CA purchasers should not just have it removed and sent separately, as this is not a matter relating to 'constructive possession' - even having that G/L and no gun with it has a chance of being construed as possessing a DD in CA.

So, send the M59/66 to CA FFL either
(1) with a permanently-welded sleeve over its muzzle device;
(2) with its G/L muzzle device removed & retained and *not* sent separately.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:51:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 8:05:57 AM EDT by EOD_Guy]

Originally Posted By caduckgunner:
The grenade launcher would have to be removed or otherwise permanently rendered inoperable. Yugo 59/66's are not C&R eligible in California, as California C&R is 50 years or older, so no it would have to go to a FFL. Otherwise it it perfectly legal here.

California uses the Federal definition for C&R firearms. If the Feds say a firearm is C&R, then so does California. California considers the Yugo 59/66 a C&R firearm but does not allow it in California because of the grenade launcher which the Penal Code defines as a "destructive device."

The 50 year confusion comes from the fact that only C&R rifles or shotguns over 50 years old can be transferred without dealer involvement or be shipped to C&R FFL holders from out of state.
Top Top