Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 7/26/2005 6:00:37 PM EDT
I have two underages, and a disorderly conduct. I have gotten a B.A. in Justice Studies with honors from Kent State University, and have taken one year of law school from Cleveland Marshall College of Law. I am thinking about trying to join the Cleveland Police force due to my failing out of law school. Just curious if any of you guys have any thoughts on what my chances are, or are aware of any law enforcement postions that are open in the Cleveland area. Thanks for your help and advice.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
A bit rowdy in your early years huh?

You can apply, see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
ARE YOU SERIOUS?

COME ON!

GET OUT!!!!

Yea, depending on how long ago you should be OK.  The most important part of a background interview is telling the truth, the WHOLE truth.  Lying about smoking 5 joints is worse than smoking 5 joints.  If you lie about that, what else may you do in the future and lie about???  We have former pot smokers working for us.  (in their college days)  We also have a current employee who got a DUI last year......   THAT one I am a LITTLE pissed about!  
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:06:46 AM EDT
[#3]
This has crossed my mind over the last few years, my family background in the UK is a bit shady, they've served the Queen either in the military or in nick, would this be held against me?
I've never broken the law(ever, apart from speeding) don't drink, don't smoke(I was raised s a Mormon) but I'm 35. What are my chances of being able to join? I currently work in International Sales?
Did a full background check when I immigrated here(in 96) through the American Embassy in London and currently going through another to become a citizen( I know I have to be a citizen to join) also did a full background check for my CHL.
I'm in Greene County though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#4]
To get a job as a cop a persons parents cannot be married, you know  the father was just passing through town and stopped in the "Happy House" for a quickie and was never heard from again .
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:36:21 AM EDT
[#5]
you have a college degree. hum. why in the world would you want to be a cop. the pay is not great and the bad people you will be dealing with wil make you cringe.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm open to suggestions, I just figured with my record, and inexperience the better federal jobs would be out of reach.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually, Im pretty certain there is no law that says you have to be a US citizen to be a police officer.  And I had two charges in Tx for Underage Possession and it wasnt a problem.  Like watersniper said, its just very important to be totally honest.  My polygraph exam took 3-4 hours, so they are very thorough.  

And I have no idea what coaldigger is talking about?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Actually, Im pretty certain there is no law that says you have to be a US citizen to be a police officer.  And I had two charges in Tx for Underage Possession and it wasnt a problem.  Like watersniper said, its just very important to be totally honest.  My polygraph exam took 3-4 hours, so they are very thorough.  

And I have no idea what coaldigger is talking about?

That's interesting to know, my Wife is ok with the idea and my father even thought it was a good idea, which shocked the hell out of me(he considers the Police to be the biggest mafia going).
Anywho I will look into my options, the guy I replaced here, did his training through the Ohio State Trooper academy, and had a place waiting for him at Fairborn. He lasted about 9mths to a year, he quit to get back into sales, he wasn't happy with the inside politics, something about the FOP not likng the Chief, but this was 3rd hand info, so I have no idea how good it is.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Sheldon keep in mind that you wont get to wear those tall funny cool looking hats like the officers in England wear.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Both of you can get hired as police officers.  As far as I know you do not need to be a citizen to get hired by most departments.  Make sure you are 100% honest about your past and don't try to hide anything.  We have ALOT of people at our department who were juvenile delinquents.  We are not looking for someone who hasn't seen the outside of their bubble in their lifetime.  Just make sure you are honest about your mistakes in the past.  no problemo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sheldon keep in mind that you wont get to wear those tall funny cool looking hats like the officers in England wear.

Yea, but he gets to carry a gun & handcuffs instead of a "stick & a whistle!"

IIRC the Ohio Highway Patrol are not "true police"(many people consider them "road tax collectors") All kidding aside, I think it has something to do with "arrest powers" or something like that. (Perhaps someone better informed could clarify this.)

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#12]
What, good officers of the law, would be my chances of joining up if I admitted to killing several hookers and burying them under my garage foundation? That, and having about $12,000 in unreturned videos?

Just asking rhetorically, of course.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:30:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What, good officers of the law, would be my chances of joining up if I admitted to killing several hookers and burying them under my garage foundation? That, and having about $12,000 in unreturned videos?

Just asking rhetorically, of course.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:09:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, but he gets to carry a gun & handcuffs instead of a "stick & a whistle!"

IIRC the Ohio Highway Patrol are not "true police"(many people consider them "road tax collectors") All kidding aside, I think it has something to do with "arrest powers" or something like that. (Perhaps someone better informed could clarify this.)

You would not see me cry if I didn't have to wear a tit on my head

Plus with the added bonus of firearms I wouldn't be forced to do this

Not much interest in joining OSHP, more of a personal stand as they were a major roadblock to HB12, but I'm considering  the Po Po or the Sheriff's, but Po Po is my first choice.

Maybe it's a pipe dream, as I really haven't done any hard research into how hard it is to get your foot in the door.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:55:42 AM EDT
[#15]
OSP has jurisdiction on all roads and highways, along with any state property ( universities, prisons, etc).  They have full arrest powers as long as they are in those areas.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have two underages, and a disorderly conduct. I have gotten a B.A. in Justice Studies with honors from Kent State University, and have taken one year of law school from Cleveland Marshall College of Law. I am thinking about trying to join the Cleveland Police force due to my failing out of law school. Just curious if any of you guys have any thoughts on what my chances are, or are aware of any law enforcement postions that are open in the Cleveland area. Thanks for your help and advice.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  How old are you right now and how old were you when you got your underage consumption and disorderly conduct citations?  I personally wouldn't join CPD, but that's just me...lol.  If you can try to hit up some of the suburbs.   Better pay, sometimes better job security and most the time much less B.S.  My advice is this.  Go to the police academy first.  You have a better chance of landing and even testing for the job, if you have academy done with or are currently enrolled.  Most departments this day would rather you have academy finished with when you apply.  Also would consider doing some ride alongs to see if it's something you really want to get into.  Right now will be the time to register for academies.  So you may want to either get on the ball now or wait a little.  If you need any more info or wish to chat about this hit up my email: [email protected]

OSP has jurisdiction on all roads and highways, along with any state property ( universities, prisons, etc). They have full arrest powers as long as they are in those areas.

very true, but the chances of OSP helping me on a domestic or backing me on a call are very slim...lol.  I know they are all over helping out with a traffic stop, but any other real calls they are hesitant.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have two underages, and a disorderly conduct.

Since you have not actually killed anyone, I would question your qualifications to be a cop.

But just to be safe, I talked to a local consultant I know and asked him if you could become a cop.  He said it was decidely so.  I love the Magic Ball.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#18]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
I have two underages, and a disorderly conduct.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On our dept. that would be about 5 negative points depending on the outcome of each (convicted, dismissed, ect). I was lucky enough to have 0 points (then again I had a boring life and did all my crazy stuff in the Army for 5 years) we have hired the last 12 or so officers with no one going over 3 negative points.

Any traffic ticket within 5 years is one negative point.

Just FYI...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:16:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#20]
From what I've seen Parma hires former Maines.

CPD, forget about. I scored in the top one hundred last time they tested-four years ago. Not one of us got hired.

Do yourself a favor and put yourself through the Tri C or Cleveland Hts Academy. Too bad they are both just starting up their training cycles.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top