Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 2/21/2006 1:12:47 PM EST
Okay, sorry for another typical noob question but this is one that I really would like to know the answer to.

I see a lot of people (here and on another forum) talking about shooting with a sound supressor which, to my understanding, is illegal unless you jump through a bunch of hoops with the U.S. Gubment. What's involved in being able to legally put a sound supressor on something like a .22 pistol?

Is it a particular type of FFL license that's required?

Is it possible to get an FFL license without, basically, signing away your civil liberties and making yourself open to surprise searches by the BATF?

The only information I have regarding any of the above is along the lines of "well, a friend once told me... blah, blah, blah...". So I thought I ask you guys, since some of you obviously have first-hand knowledge.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:17:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:20:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By BookHound:
You find a suppressor you want. Class III dealers are where you need to go for this.
You pay for the can.
You fill out some forms.
Then you either:

Folks without a corporation
Get two passport photos.
Get two sets of fingerprints.
Contact your CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) and get him to sign your forms.
Send in your forms and wait.

Folks with a corporation (like an LLC)
Send in your forms and wait. (Wait time is typically less for a corporate transfer.)

Then when the forms come back approved you get to take delivery of your can.

Bookhound frequently lets strange men shoot through his can at the range.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:33:34 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:59:10 PM EST
As far as .gov goes, I figure they can find out about anything they want with little effort, and legally purchasing a can isn't likely to draw any more attention than, say, posting on the net how you don't want to attract any gov't attention.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:20:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 3:23:06 PM EST by pokey169]
Go read this if you are unfamiliar with what Class III stuff is all about. Everyone seems to think that the ATF gets a key to your door just because you own NFA stuff. Not the case. Its a hassle, but no worse than filling you taxes.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:52:00 PM EST
The hard part is finding somebody that has them in stock. Sorry Book, I had to do it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:59:03 PM EST
Call Mike the g-man www.g-man-weaponry.com/
In metro area, LEO and class II, III dealer. Good guy, can thread barrels, machine, etc too. Got the BATF letter last week hopefully have something nice coming soon. Look at his Mossbergs for a $5 AOW stamp.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:53:15 PM EST
Thanks for all of the answers, folks.

So I've been doing some reading... and tell me if I got this all correct:

I can buy a supressor and use it provided I comply with the form fillin' regulations of the ATF and am willing to pay a $200.00 tax on the supressor. Same thing with any NFA weapon in this state.

According to the NLC FAQ I could apply for a Type 01 FFL and pay $200.00 for 3 years and $90.00 for renewal.

If I wanted to make my own supressor, I would need a Type 07 FFL ($150.00 for 3 years).

If I wanted to make and sell a supressor I would need both Type 01 and Type 07.

If I got a Type 07 FFL only this would not allow me to transfer firearms or otherwise deal in firearms such as shipping a shotgun to someone in, say, South Carolina.

Also, if I made a supressor for my own personal use under this license I would be required, within 24 hours of manufacturing it, to register it with the BATF and pay a $200.00 tax on it.

If I wanted to do work as a gunsmith, I would be required to have a Type 01 FFL, in order to sell my services.

Have I got all of that right?

If so, what are the benefits, if any, of having a Type 01 FFL? What's the difference between a clas II or a class III license? Is a class III license what is referred to as a Type 09 license on the NLC FAQ (dealer in destructive devices)?

According to the FAQ:

Type 01 -

DEALER in firearms other than destructive devices.
(includes: rifles, shotguns, pistols, revolvers, gunsmith activities, and National Firearms Act (NFA) weapons.)

That would make it seem like the answer is no but I can't seem to find a distinction on the NLC or ATF website between class licenses. What distinction is there between a class II and a class III FFL?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:33:17 AM EST
A couple things-

$200 for NFA items not covered by the AOW classification. AOW's are $5 stamp.

Class II is a manufacturer license

Class III is a dealer license

IIRC, Type 07 is an SOT (special occupational tax)

Again, IIRC, form 1 lets you make your own can, not Type 01 FFL.

You don't need an FFL to own NFA, just to make or deal in NFA or firearms in general.

Top Top