Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 2:01:06 PM EDT
I am a BSA Scoutmaster and I would like to take the scout troop camping when the weather get's a bit warmer.

Since my pistol license is only good for camping, hiking, etc, I would like to go somewhere that I can bring it.  Also maybe my shotty.

Any suggestions?

Links would be great.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know where in NY you are, but I go to Letchworth State Park every year.  Absolutly beautiful with a ton of trails.  You will have to call about CCW, I have no idea if they allow it.  But who would really know if you did.

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=12

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
letchworth bans guns except for hunting with a special permit
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
They still have a range at Onteora (is Onteora still a Scout camp)? Been several decades since I was there. I only remember .22s and shotguns being there, but a range is a range, and as long as the kids aren't shooting, with the concurrence of the staff, I'd imagine you could get away with it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:02:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  From the many phone calls to both NYS State Park PD and DEC, looks like either I need to find private land and / or goto PA.

Gotta love NYS.

eta. I got to one point where I was on the phone with some NYS State Park PD where I said, what do you expect me to do if a situation arises where my licensed pistol is needed.  His response, call 911.  Yea, right.

I'm not going to be pounding around in the woods with the responsibility of someone else's kids and only have a cell phone with so so phone coverage with no protection.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#5]
There is some state multi-use land near me that allows camping by permit, and has a small "range" which is really just a short backstop in a clearing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The Catskill State Forest has an enormous number of places to camp, but all of them are no guns allowed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#7]
if it is a scout campout BSA rules say no guns unless your a cop or a scout camp with nra cert instructors for merit badges
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There is some state multi-use land near me that allows camping by permit, and has a small "range" which is really just a short backstop in a clearing.

Hummm, I would love to hear more.  IM inbound.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:45:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Where in NY are you? I hold a yearly match/ get-together in upstate NY every year!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag.  Promised Land looks promising for this summer.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Promised Land State Park in PA is 30 miles west of Port Jervis on I84...90 minutes from you tops...

www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/promisedland.aspx

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is 30 miles closer, just over the border.

www.nps.gov/dewa/

Forget about the shooting part and Bear Mountain/Harriman is in your backyard...I usd to love that place as a teenager...most of the southern sections of the park are very under-used.

nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=143

IM me for more info if you like.

Thanks Mark, I'll drop you a call on this.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Where in NY are you? I hold a yearly match/ get-together in upstate NY every year!

Rockland, but I'm willing to do some driving.  tks
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Look into private camp sites in and around the fingerlakes, we have tons NYS DEC multi use land that you can hunt and target shoot on.

Hi-Tor Wildlife Management Area

Canandaigua Lake

List of DEC Campgrounds
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Look into private camp sites in and around the fingerlakes, we have tons NYS DEC multi use land that you can hunt and target shoot on.

Canandaigua Lake

List of DEC Campgrounds

hummm,
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Canandaigua Lake

List of DEC Campgrounds

hummm,

To narrow your search down a bit look into Canandaigua lake and Seneca lake, they are the best for camping. Check your IM and I will leave you a link to my favorite camp site, we are there every Memorial and Labor day weekends to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Canandaigua Lake

List of DEC Campgrounds

hummm,

To narrow your search down a bit look into Canandaigua lake and Seneca lake, they are the best for camping. Check your IM and I will leave you a link to my favorite camp site, we are there every Memorial and Labor day weekends to enjoy it.

Cool, Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#18]
How remote do you want to get?  

Moose River Wilderness Area,  the only thing the state provides is the road in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top