Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 5:25:48 PM EST
I'm not looking to sell but I am looking to buy, so Book, if this is a no-no feel free to slap my wrist.

I recently talked my wife into going camping, only problem is i don't really have any gear. I had a tent, but it apparently grew legs and walked away. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but if any of you guys (or girls) have any spare gear, or stuff you don't use any more, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. It'll be myself, the wife, and our three year old son. I'm the only one of us that has ever spent a night out in the woods. So a good 3 man tent, some sleeping bags/mats/bivvy's, camp stove, etc. is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Thanks HTF!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:05:44 PM EST
Craigslist is your friend.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:19:00 PM EST
Yeah, I tried. The only couple of things I've seen lately were gone by the time i sent out an email.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:22:52 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:32:24 PM EST
Don't know if you are an REI member or not but believe that there is a scratch and dent sale at their Buford Store this Sat. You can get great deals if you're willing to buy some damaged gear and fix it up. If you know how to sew then you're in the driver's seat at their S&D sale.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:38:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By Van_Deutch:
bought the stuff, but the wife is not into it....yet. what did you do to get her to go....????

Called her a big fat sissy. Not really. i guess I just whined about wanting to go enough she resigned to the idea. She loves her shirt, btw.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:47:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:59:15 PM EST
www.gearrevival.com
They sell used and demo stuff. Down town atlanta.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:59:09 PM EST
I've been planning a few camping trips too. You might want to look at some of the following depending on your budget. I know you said it isn't massive but you can get some ideas from the products listed. Also I've been turned onto Kelty products lately. Also Eureka Sleeping Bags has some decently priced bags at $80. You also should check out Dicks or Bass Pro Shops. Even a Sporting Authority might have a decent selection of camping gear.

Also look into hammocks, Clark Jungle Hammocks
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:13:34 AM EST
I recently got a Eureka 4 person dome tent at Academy Sports for $60. That's a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:20:18 AM EST
Unless you want to be packed in like sardines you need more than a 3 person tent for 3 people! Especially if you intend to store some items in your tent. Go with a 4 or 5 person tent.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:20:36 AM EST
You could also hit up surplus stores like Forest Park Army Navy. I haven't dug too deeply in to the camping stuff but it is there!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:04:52 AM EST
Thanks everybody. Since my wife is a Bass Pro employee, I'll more than likely be taking advantage of my discount, but I was thinking I might be able to get some higher quality gear used for just as much if not less than the Bass Pro stuff. Since I got laid off from Daniel Defense I still haven't been able to find a job, so the budget is damn near non-existant but I got plenty of time to plan this stuff out. I'll check out the links provided.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:41:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 4:46:32 AM EST by The_Beer_Slayer]
no for sale ads please
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:28:36 AM EST
REI will also let you rent/demo tents, sleeping bags and other stuff. Give them a call before you go out and buy gear you don't like.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:43:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 11:43:42 AM EST by 00leland00]
I'm in Savannah, don't think we have an REI down here, do we?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:20:51 AM EST
Bass Pro is probably your closest in Savannah, but don't overlook Walmart, especially this time of year. Some of thier stuff may not be the best quality but I have several tents and a screen enclosure and various odds and ends from there and have had some for 5-6 years and they have held up to me, my wife and 5 kids so pretty good.

I wouldn't take them on an arctic expedition, but for a week or weekend they will work well. I think I have seen an 8 man for $69 before, and trust me with a new baby you are going to want the extra room. I have camped in Savannah and you will want a screen enclosure to sit in while the bugs are out.

Also go with thick air mattresses it will make a much better nights sleep and she will enjoy her weekend with a good nights rest, and maybe even want to go again. Put her on a thin foam mat and you might be camping alone for a long time. And for down there just bring some extra blankets instead of sleeping bags.

And throw in some charcoal and a grill and you ready. In my classes it has always been easier to start with as much comfort for the first couple of trips and build up to harder trips like backpacking and survival weekends.

Good luck and enjoy, there is nothing better than a weekend outside.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:25:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By 00leland00:
I'm in Savannah, don't think we have an REI down here, do we?

Nope, but you got the Internets... REI

Top Top