Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2005 4:48:49 PM EDT
In late August I'm moving to Norwood, MA for 12-15 months to take an automotive technician program at the new UTI campus.

Is there anyone from that area?  I haven't been down there to look around yet but will soon.. I was just curious what it's like, and hoping Boston hasn't spilled over into Norwood or the area in general, though it's just south of Boston so of course I'm not keeping my hopes up .... I'm not going to deal with the hassle and paperwork/permits of taking any firearms with me for such a short time. So if any generous members are in the area we should meet up to do some shooting.. I'll buy the ammo and beer afterwards if you'd like.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to know about the area?

The only UTI that I know of is Urinary Tract Infection! Have they started a college?

Norwood is NOT very gun friendly! A business associate of mine was jerked around for 6 months and 4 interviews with the PD so that he could get a LTC-A/ALP . . . which he needs in his LE business. And this was a renewal!! However his prior LTC-A/ALP was issued by another town before he moved to Norwood.

Norwood would perhaps issue a LTC for target shooting only with a lot less hassle.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL Universal Technical Institute.  Main campus and HQ is in Phoenix, AZ.  They're just barely opening a new facility in Norwood and I'll be among one of the first classes to attend there.  

I'm really just looking for some basic info before I make the drive down to see for myself and get set up and ready to go.  Like how big is the town and how busy is it... Nice place or trashy?  Are there a ton of businesses in the area?  Just to give me an idea of what I'm getting myself into... The next closest campus to me was Philadelphia, but this is MUCH closer so I jumped on it.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Not knowing what you are looking for, your age, single/attached, etc. . . .

- Guess Norwood might be 30-40K population. Blue Collar working class community with a hospital.
- Lots of shopping on US-1 along a 10 mile stretch from Dedham/West Roxbury to Walpole (including Norwood in the center).
- Lots of restaurants that run the gambit.
- Small private airport in Norwood.
- ~20 miles from Boston. Has commuter rail into Boston (~20 minutes, ~$4.00 each way) but all public transportation here shuts down around 11PM, so not suitable for a "night out" unless you are an early bird.
- There are no gun shops nearby, but 4-5 gun clubs in the general area (within 15 miles). Most gun clubs are pistol and .some short-distance rifle (usually 50 or 100 yd max) only since area is all built up.

NO place around here can folks just go off into the woods, pits, public lands and shoot.

Possession of any ammo, mags or guns without permits (LTC for handguns or hi-cap long arms, FID for low cap long arms only) is a felony. Non Residents can NOT legally purchase ammo or long guns in MA by state law. Someone without a permit can shoot a gun under the direct supervision of a MA LTC holder.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Anything helps.  Thank you.  And wow, a lot of gun clubs.. There aren't that many around me, and yet I can carry my Sig without a permit and not be arrested.   I'm only planning to be down there long enough to complete my training and then run like hell back up here.   Sounds like a pretty big area compared to what I'm used to.  

All that licensing and permits just gives me a migraine, I'll have to be unarmed for a year.. Oh well.  

Thanks again for the info... That's the kind of stuff I was curious about.  

Now I need to figure out the best route down there... I'm thinking just take I-91 south as I'm right next to it and then hook up with a good east-bound highway that ends up close to Norwood.. All the I=93 & I-95 stuff just makes me dizzy..  
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not going to pretend to know a good way from VT to MA, when I used to travel on business to Burlington, VT I flew!

I-91 either straight to the Mass Turnpike (I-90) to I-95 to US-1 South at Dedham . . . or maybe to I-89 (I think) in NH over to Rte 3 in NH straight down to I-95 to US-1 South at Dedham?

Run thru some of the online mapping software from your home to Norwood and figure out what works for you.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 1:51:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out  WWW.mansfieldfish.com.  and www.northeasttrading.com

ktm500
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 5:22:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I am a paramedic in Dedham, which is just north of Norwood. So if you have any specific questions, I will try to help. I don't know where in norwood this campus is, so I can't be specific about directions, but in general it is best to access the town from rt 95, and Rt 1 runs right thru the town.
Let me know if I can be of further assistance
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Ktm,

What can you tell us about the various ranges at Mansfield? Not much specific info on their website.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey fellas,

I shoot at Mansfield and am a current Canton resident(next to Norwood). Mansfield has an outdoor "up to 50" yard rifle/pistol and an outdoor 100 yard only range.  They are currently constructing an indoor pistol range but, will prob take another year or so since they are doing most of the work themselves. Nice facilities. Pretty low key.  Been a member for about 2yrs, no issues.

YMMV

Blitz
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Blitz - do you know what they're using as a backstop in the new range?

General MA gun info:

http://www.goal.org

+1 on variety of good restaurants in & around Norwood.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 5:39:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Ben,

Haven't really spent the time to go and look at the project but, the last time it was mentioned they had most of the walls up and were working on roofing plans. At this piont I'm not sure of the planned backstop variety.

Blitz
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 5:48:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure a range meeting will take place.  Let me know if you do any fishing also.

GPK...out
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#13]
LenS told you more than I could have with no real specific question. but I've always known him to cross all the T's and dot the i's much better than myself,hehe. I do not know where the specific school your speaking of might be either and I live in Norwood. As he said....I to had to go to court to plead my case for my renewal/permit also, so I doubt you'll be carrying your sig here except to the range. If I can be of any assistance info-wise EMail me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Hi Jus228,
I grew up in Norwood, lived there for 37 years (moved some years ago).
Was on the Rifle Team at Norwood High.
LenS pretty much summarized it. It's changed quite a bit since I lived there, but not the licensing issues. I knew business owners who could only get T&H LTC-A.
Lots of shopping & eateries, and it's a quick trip into Boston. Considered a fairly "safe" community.
When I went North to VT, I used to take Route 1 to 128 to Route 3N, through NH, picking up 89N.
If you fish, there's lots of small bodies of water around, Norwood, Westwood, Walpole.
For shooting, look up Smith & Wesson in Springfield. They have the try a gun program. It's not a bad drive, and they have a very nice modern range.
(additional note to add, reloading components are considered ammo here in MA, so clean out your auto; no loose brass) (plus, pepper spray requires an FID min.)

One other note, LenS or someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as knife carrying goes, I believe Boston has a 2.5" blade max.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Boston has a lot of screwy laws. No clue if any are enforced or enforceable!

I don't track knife laws and I carry a 3" folder wherever I go. Don't know Boston's laws and they may or may not impact "visitors". For instance, Boston has its own AWB and requires special permits for those that they allow to own them. However, this AWB BS ONLY applies to inmates of Boston, not to those of us who visit the place but don't live there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Found something, though not on an "official" site, so.....

10/1/04

Boston Municipal Code of Ordinances

16-45     PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF KNIVES OR SIMILAR WEAPONS.

16-45.1     Carrying of Weapons Prohibited.
    No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, any knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half (2½ ) inches, ice picks, dirks or similar weapons that are likely to penetrate through police officer's ballistic vests, or other object or tool so redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury to another, except:

a.     When actually engaged in hunting or fishing or any employment, trade or lawful recreational or culinary activity which customarily involves the carrying or use of any type of knife, or

b.     In going directly to and/or returning directly from such activities, or

c.     If the knife is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening, or repair, and if packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to the knife while it is being transported.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10)  Penalty, see subsection 16-45.4

16-45.2     Distribution Exception.
    This section shall not apply to persons who, through entities or establishments engaged in a recognized retail or wholesale business, are involved in the sale, purchase or repair of knives for trade, sport, hobby or recreation, including without limitation persons engaged in the transportation to or from such entities or establishments.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10)

16-45.3     Applicability.
    Nothing in this section shall be construed to enhance or diminish any duties of persons described in subsection 16-45.2, and this section shall not be introduced or cited in any proceeding as evidence of negligence, recklessness, or similar state of mind of such persons.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10)

16-45.4     Penalty.
    Violators of any provision of this section shall be subject to a fine of not more than three hundred ($300.00) dollars for each offense.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10)

16-45.5     Severability.
    The provisions of this section shall be severable and if any section, part, or portion hereof shall be held invalid for any purpose by any court of competent jurisdiction, the decision of such court shall not affect or impair any remaining section, part or portion thereof.
(Ord. 2001 c. 10)

Link Posted: 7/7/2005 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#17]
thats ridiculous and completely un-enforceable.  Just about every pocket knife has a blade at least that long
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I was in town (Norwood) on Saturday meeting up with two roommates and we got living arrangements all lined up.. Checked out the UTI campus.. It's right next to a Polaroid factory of some sort.. Going north on Upland Rd it's a left hand turn just after Prospect St.

I didn't explore the town much but just driving through my first impression is it seems like a decent place..  It's too bad from what you guys said that it's so anti-gun, but then again in that area of MA I shouldn't be surprised.  I'm really going to miss having the *RIGHT* to carry my Sig or XD... The best I can muster now I guess is pocketknife, cell phone, and BRIGHT Surefire for early and late outtings.  

I'll be moving down in roughly 2 weeks so at some point after I settle in I look forward to meeting a few of you guys that are in the area.

Ah.. Having a few questions running through my head the more I think about it.

How bad are the winters in the area?  As far as road conditions and how the crews keep up with a storm ect?  Are there a lot of crazy winter drivers that you really have to keep an eye out for?  Up here in VT I'm used to a more relaxed and *take your time* philosophy when it comes to getting where you're going..
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm really going to miss having the *RIGHT* to carry my Sig or XD...

Actually, per Article 17 of MA constitution, you do have the right to arms for common defense.  So, nix on the XD, but an AR ought be okay.  

How bad are the winters in the area?  As far as road conditions and how the crews keep up with a storm ect?  Are there a lot of crazy winter drivers that you really have to keep an eye out for?  

Varies from year to year.
Some times, we get a few inches for the season, evenly distributed.  Roads are by and large fine.

Sometimes, we get 6+ inches in an evening.  In that case, cluster around the fireplace, call into work, and sleep in.

Am unfamilliar with public services in Norwood.  I hope the locals will chime in.

I wish you the best with your studies.  

-Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top