Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2003 2:13:21 AM EDT
I attended my very first gun show last month while in Georgia.  There were plenty of neat things and even a table that only had goodies for AR15s. But, that was in Georgia.  How are the gun shows in California?

Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:42:30 AM EDT
[#1]
One somewhat consistent good buy at the shows here is the ammo, otherwise everything else is jacked up.  I'd suggest you do lots of research on whatever you're looking for on the web first, go to the shows and compare prices, then buy it on the web
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, the American Spirit Arms table is exclusively AR-15 stuff but there are plenty of parts (other than normal lower receivers or magazines) at other vendors, and I concur that prices on most stuff is jacked up.  I usually look for gun parts, collectables, old cameras, accoutrements, etc.

A couple of the ammo dealers offer decent prices but they have to charge the Cali state sales tax, which varies from about 7.5% - 8.25% depending on where the business resides.  I now generally avoid that by buying from www.ammoman.com - You pay shipping but the net price is generally lower than you will find at a show, and you don't have to lug a bunch of heavy stuff out to the fringes of the parking lot.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't seen many if any show in the City of LA recently, if you buy ammo you have to give them thumb prints, oh I'm sure that's detered many crimes, don't you give me lip, junior! lol.
Bob's daughter is tending ASA's booth every time I've not learned my lesson and gone to the shows, this is where I learned the prices are inflated compared to their prices listed on their site (not that I'd buy anything ASA).  The parts are outrageously priced, as if being in a gun show gives them the ticket to over charge.  These days you'd have to pay me to go to one of CA's beef jerky-leather-knives-Rolex-used books shows.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#4]

The gun shows in northern CA generally suck but you can still find some deals if you really look. HARD.

I go just to keep in touch with trends.

And to people watch. It can be very entertaining.

Link Posted: 7/10/2003 12:45:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The gun shows in northern CA generally suck

So true, so true!

Even though many have said that the shows in Vegas suck, they definitely blow the CA shows away.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
the best Kali gun show is in Costa Mesa.
the only gun show in LA county is the Glendalegunshow.com , small but its there.

i know dealers that say they cant make any money at the vegas show, and do better in kali.

with all the bitching about gun shows, not saying the complaints arent true, just be glad there is still a show to go. there are FORCES AT WORK TRYING TO CLOSE THE SHOWS, so enjoy it while you can.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The Cow Palace show (SF) ain't too bad.

I haven't been to the Del Mar or Costa Mesa shows but by NorCal standards, it's certainly leaps and bounds over the San Jose, Vallejo or Sacramento shows.

There's always Miwall for cheap ammo.  Even after tax it's not out of line.  And yes, I bring a little travel cart (the foldable, airline-friendly one) with me when I know I'll be buying ammo.

More than once I found all kinds of AR parts, and of late, various FALs in the CA-kosher configuration.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Garand1911,
You forgot about the gun show at the Palmdale fairgrounds.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#9]
All I can say is GOD I Miss POMONA.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:38:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
NoKarma

Amen, brother!
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I haven't seen many if any show in the City of LA recently, if you buy ammo you have to give them thumb prints, oh I'm sure that's detered many crimes, don't you give me lip, junior! lol....

Is that a City of LA ordinance?  I can't recall ever having to give a thumbprint for ammo at Del Mar.  (But I've bought all of my ammo mail-order for the last year or so.)
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep it is an LA City thing.  Last year when I bought ammo I had to do it, it's only the City of LA, not LA county.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#13]
You can check here for upcoming gun shows in Cali...

http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I haven't seen many if any show in the City of LA recently, if you buy ammo you have to give them thumb prints, oh I'm sure that's detered many crimes, don't you give me lip, junior! lol....

Is that a City of LA ordinance?  I can't recall ever having to give a thumbprint for ammo at Del Mar.  (But I've bought all of my ammo mail-order for the last year or so.)

I bought some ammo from B&B Sales in N. Hollywood, which is a part of Los Angeles before B&B closed down. They took my thumb prints for a box of 38spls. I think this a L.A. city ordinance. Del Mar is in north San Diego County, a lot more conservative than the far left leaning L.A. City council.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NoKarma

Amen, brother! hr

me too.   It was like "the haj" for gun owners.  I had to go at least twice a year to see all the cool weapons, buy tons of ammo and mags, usually buy a blade at Cold Steel, check out the USMC vehicles, ogle at the calendar girls, have a carne asada and a beer for lunch while watching singers perform at the quad, and then hit up the next set of buildings.

the good ol' days... sigh.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#16]
The Great Western Show (Pomona) is back, not in California but in TEXAS! November 7-9
www.greatwesternshow.com
Now that would be a road trip!
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 1:15:03 AM EDT
[#17]
BE CAREFUL with the GW
IMO, its back but prolly IN NAME ONLY
and under new ownership
in texas where there are gun shows every weekend? why bother even having another ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top