Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 9:11:23 AM EDT
Hello all ,
Id really like to build an AR , But im still not sure about what is legal and whats not .

So I buy a doj approved Vulcan lower ,with a fixed 10 round mag  ,what about the  - pistol grip -flash hider  -  tele stock ?  I can have ONE of these things ? OR can I have the "AW" grip and somthing else ? I just have to keep overall length to 30 whatever inches .  Sorry to ask what many have asked alredy .
Nate
EDIT : I just re-read some things , With a fixed 10 round mag , I can have any of the other features ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes , with a 10 round fixed , I can have a tele stock and a flash hider ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes , with a 10 round fixed , I can have a tele stock and a flash hider ?

Yes you can. I shot my vulcan again yesterday, shot great.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#4]
If the magazine is not detachable, it isn't an assault weapon and there are no restrictions on feautres.

Along a similar vein, if it is already a registered assault weapon, there are no restrictions on features.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If the magazine is not detachable, it isn't an assault weapon and there are no restrictions on feautres.

Along a similar vein, if it is already a registered assault weapon, there are no restrictions on features.

Just remember to keep the max count under 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:25:34 AM EDT
[#6]
And by CA law I have to keep the barrel to 16 in ? And overall to 30 in right ?  With a tele stock open or closed , I think i would make it 30 closed to be safe ?  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it 30", I thoght it was 26"?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I am pretty sure the 26 is for shotguns. I THOUGHT the rules were:

Rifle: 16" barrel & 30" overall
Shotgun: 18" barrel & 26" overall
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#10]
neo,
16" barrel at the shortest.. dont worry bout the 30"...  theres no reason to have your barrel anywhere near that long ...
as for overall length, (if thats what you meant)  16"along wiht the receiver and stock... will not be any issue...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]
AW if -

"A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches."

Rimfire -"Under federal law you still must maintain an overall legnth of more than twenty-six inches. The ATF measures overall length with stocks un-folded/un-collapsed."
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you have a 14.5"bbl IF you also have a muzzle attachment of at least 1.5" permanently/semi permanently attached?    I'm "stuck" with a 14.5" upper and would like to make sure if I ever use it it's totally legal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Can you have a 14.5"bbl IF you also have a muzzle attachment of at least 1.5" permanently/semi permanently attached?    I'm "stuck" with a 14.5" upper and would like to make sure if I ever use it it's totally legal.

Yes, I've got a couple 14.5s with vortexes permanently attached.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Just remember that IF your barrel is 14.5" and your attachment, of whatever kind, is 1.5" then when they are together it will only be about 15.5" because roughly half an inch or so gets overlapped as it is threaded on. So if when buying an attachment, don't go for the bare minimum in length, but rather look for something roughly half an inch longer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just remember that IF your barrel is 14.5" and your attachment, of whatever kind, is 1.5" then when they are together it will only be about 15.5" because roughly half an inch or so gets overlapped as it is threaded on. So if when buying an attachment, don't go for the bare minimum in length, but rather look for something roughly half an inch longer.

Good point!  The muzzle attachment I have is one of those 5" "commando" look-a-like flash suppressors.  

Now, what is the best way to permanently fasten it? Silver solder, weld.....loc-tite? have
ETA: Oh man, after reviewing the "flash suppressor review" thread, I'm dropping the cheesy commando wannabe and going with a Vortex.  An ad I saw for it says it's 2 .25".  That should be just enough to clear the 16" mark.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top