Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 1:19:48 PM EDT
I was looking at the Cali-fals out there, and I came to the conclusion that I need one.  I was really torn between just buying one, or trying to save a few bucks and getting a parts kit and building it up, legally pinned mag of course.  Is it a hard build from parts kit, harder than an AR?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
No it's fairly simple if u can already build an AR, the only thing u would have to invest in would be the headspaceing guages and a receiver wrech other than that if u have tools which most of us do!

Here's the pic's of my very first buildMy first FAL Build
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No it's fairly simple if u can already build an AR, the only thing u would have to invest in would be the headspaceing guages and a receiver wrech other than that if u have tools which most of us do!

Here's the pic's of my very first buildMy first FAL Build

Wow is that from the parts set that I sold you? Looks nice!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
posted by: Blue84S10Wow is that from the parts set that I sold you? Looks nice!

Yeah bro that's the one just finished it last month
so far fired 140 rnd battle pack with no problems what so ever
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope this isn't drifting too far off subject, but you can have a pistol grip? I thought they were no-no's regardless (unless it's a preban). Is the pinned mag permanant? Or can it be restored if you move?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
A fixed 10 round mag remove the rifle from the "feature" ban list.  

A fixed mag is defined as ..."removal will require the use of a TOOL"  Screw driver and a bullet is defined as a tool.

To build one you'll need:

Receiver wrench - (barrel vise would be nice)
Long 1/2" socket wrench with cheater bar
Go/No-Go gauge
solid vise on a solid bench.
Cliper would be useful to measure locking shoulder.
Scotch Tape
A way to drill and tap the mag release.
10 round mag
Stripper clip top cover

Check out FALFILE.Com for detail build instructions.

Parts kit come in different flavor of quality, and priced accordingly.  STG are good kits, almost new condition most times (check DSA).  You'll also need to get at least 6 (or 7 if have muzzle ) USA made parts.  It is a Fed ATF reg.  

Depending where you get your reciever - $240 - $450,
parts kit $200 - $400,
tools ~ $100
USA parts ~ $120
New Shoulder Lock maybe - $25
10 round mag - $15 - $30
DROS / dealer fee ~ 20 - 50

$700 - $1100.

Check Entreprise, sometimes they have whole gun sales...

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the responses.  I've researched the legal aspects and know I will have to pin the 10 rounder(already have a fab-10) and the compliance part aspect.  It looks like a build would be right at the edge of my skill level, could be a good challange to.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a Cali-legal Fal for sale privately (not mine) CalGuns Forum
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#8]
You can also get one of the Kali legal FALs from DS Arms.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I hope this isn't drifting too far off subject, but you can have a pistol grip? I thought they were no-no's regardless (unless it's a preban). Is the pinned mag permanant? Or can it be restored if you move?

The California Assault Weapon ban is not that difficult to understand and is descibed in full in a pinned thread at the top of this forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top