Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 9:16:00 PM EST
I moved up here from AZ, and am getting cabin fever in this big city full of damn, dirty hippies.

Where can I go to get out in the woods for a day hike around some cool scenery? I'm limited to areas I can reach with a car, as my truck is fubar.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:43:58 PM EST
Green Lake is good for flat easy hike around the lake.

Alki Point is a popular walk.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:00:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By patchouli:
I moved up here from AZ, and am getting cabin fever in this big city full of damn, dirty hippies.

Where can I go to get out in the woods for a day hike around some cool scenery? I'm limited to areas I can reach with a car, as my truck is fubar.

Thanks!

Head east on Highway 2 just past mile marker 33, on the right will be FRS 62 about six miles on a well maintained gavel road is the Procter creek gate, you can hike behind the gate without any vehicles bothering you and the forest there is beautiful that road leads all the wy to snoqualmie falls roughly 36 miles, there are many spur road that go up mountain peaks for a panaramic view and the rivers lead into tolt reservior lake and river.

There is some nice hikes around Snoqualmie falls as well just a few minutes east out of seattle on I-90 turn off or follow signs as you near north bend.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:00:59 PM EST
If you want a easy hike that you can get to, Goto Sno Co. and get on Eastbound Highway 2, go to Goldbar and follow the signs for Wallace Falls, about a 3.5 mile hike. Pretty nice, and just hard enough to know you got a work out, but it wont leave you sore and tired the next day...

If you are into hikes, I did the County Search and Rescue team for 10 years, and I can tell you where you can go depending on what you want to do.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:18:49 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:52:39 PM EST
don't forget your NW Forrest Pass if you go out in the woods. AND State parks will charge u $5 to park longer than 15 minutes. I heard that if you don't park to park, it cost an arm and a leg. Also in 2006 or 2007, the State Parking fee is going to be $7. WTF? $3 or less would be fine.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:54:34 AM EST
Head to the bookstore, find yourself a copy of:

Best Short Hikes in Washingtons North Cascades & San Juan Islands

E.M Sterling

Don't worry the rains are coming, it'll turn the damn dirty hippies into wet damn dirty hippies. Then they'll smell like wet hippes. Yuck...............

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:22:40 AM EST
I hear the hike around the rim of Mt St Helens is nice this time of year
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:37:20 AM EST
There are lots of hikes available in the Alpine Lakes wilderness area. I recently went on the West fork Foss River trail hike. you can make it as short as 2 miles 1 way or as long as 20 i think.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:52:16 PM EST
Exit 32 off I-90, Rattlesnake Ledge. It's only a couple miles, but it's mostly uphill. When you get to the top, you have about a 270 degree view. Free parking, bring water.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:39:44 PM EST
I'll second Wallace Falls as an easy day hike. I dragged my then pregnant wife and 1 year old up it a couple years ago. Waiting til the second son is a lil older to do it again though. Make em walk themselves up and back. They're too heavy to carry them both on my back
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:47:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle:

Don't worry the rains are coming, it'll turn the damn dirty hippies into wet damn dirty hippies. Then they'll smell like wet hippes. Yuck...............

Easier to track em down and shoot em with 5.56...errr....I mean, make sure they have enough granola bars out in the backwoods!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:32:45 AM EST
Hike down to the bottom of Snoqualmie Falls.
It's too strenuous and wet for dirty hippies.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:29:15 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:31:19 PM EST
Drop by a mountain shop, one of the REI's or Marmot Mountain Works. They carry many good guide books and maps. Look for hikes off of I-90, US2, or around Mt Rainier.

Just a few suggestions: Melakwa Lake off of I-90, take 1st Snoqualmie Pass exit #52, turn left, take left again at first fork to trail head. This is a detour as the bridge on the normal entrance is washed out. Also from Exit 52, Kendall Katwalk. From exit turn left, go 50 yards, turn right. Surprise and Glacier Lakes near Scenic on US2. Anywhere at Mt Rainier.

This is a terrific region for the outdoor person who hikes, climbs, or skis. There many great places to go with good access from all the passes.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:48:53 PM EST
Go to your local library and check out a hiking book, there's a few of em about WA.

Thank you for your fast and helpful response.

- Manuel
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:45:17 PM EST
As people have said, check REI and the ranger stations for maps and guidebooks. Be sure to check what sorts of roads lead to the trailheads, as many of the great hikes require traversing some fairly nasty roads.

Further recommendations: Mt. Si is a good long hike with a rock scramble at the top if you're so inclined. It's also right off I-90, but for nearly as spectacular views from the same place, Little Si is a much shorter hike, mostly wooded, much much less populated than the Si hike, and walls for rock climbing, or watching rock climbers. One can see Rattlesnake Ridge from there I think, so if you hike the ridge first, you can look back from Little Si and see where you were, though propbably not on the same day. Neither of those hike parking lots are difficult to get to.
Top Top