Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/1/2005 6:06:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 6:07:16 PM EDT by Bobby_the_Hun]
YUP ! Picked them up last saturday at the BGC/NJCSD casual meeting. Stupid me walked right into some shrubbery along the trail as we were touring the grounds.The SOBs are all over from the beltline to my toes, and they jumped on my JUNK too Those that attended and took the tour should be scratching their new pimples by now. Hopefully no one has 'em. Used Clorox bleach yesterday and a prescribed lotion today. NO fun.

Bobby_the_Chiggered_Hun
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:19:27 PM EDT
Arg, annoying little buggers aren't they? Luckily I missed the tour (and the chiggers!)
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:20:28 PM EDT
So that's where I got them.
Rubbing Alcohol and Calamine Lotion for 4 days.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:19:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PK90:

2 casualties so far
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:58:09 AM EDT
I thought this was going to be a thread about Tiger Woods for a second......
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:35:08 AM EDT

The term chigger is a common name used to describe the larval stage of mites that are parasitic on warm-blooded animals, including people. Chigger bites characteristically cause intense itching and the formation of small, reddish welts. Chiggers are active from spring to late fall but are most numerous in early summer.

Chiggers are closely related to ticks and spiders and pass through the same four stages of development: egg, larva, nymph, and adult. Adult chiggers become active in early spring and the females deposit eggs in grassy or weedy areas. The eggs hatch into microscopic larvae (chiggers) that crawl on vegetation and attach to passing small mammals or people. They wander over the skin surface before attaching at a skin pore or hair follicle. The attachment site on people is usually in places where the clothing fits tightly over the skin or where the skin is thin or wrinkled.

Contrary to popular opinion, chiggers do not burrow into the skin nor do they feed on blood. Instead, chiggers inject a digestive fluid containing enzymes that cause skin cells to rupture. The fluids from the skin cells are then consumed as food. The injected enzymes cause the skin to become red, swollen and itchy. The itch may last for several days and will persist even after the chigger has detached from the skin.

The likelihood of encountering chiggers can be reduced by applying personal insect repellents, wearing loose-fitting clothing, and avoiding sitting or reclining directly on the ground. In addition, take a hot, soapy bath or shower immediately after returning from likely chigger-infested areas to remove most chiggers before they have had the opportunity to attach and feed.

The many chigger "home remedies" used by devotees have not been tested to verify effectiveness. Most however, are misguided or developed from a incorrect understanding of chigger biology. This includes the widespread myth that using fingernail polish "kills" the embedded chigger. Relief from itching can come in many forms. One requirement for stopping itching is to seal the skin from contact with air. That's why many remedies, including nail polish appear to work. Similar results can occur with calamine, vaseline, cold cream, and baby oil. Better relief often comes from products that seal the skin and contain antihistamines; for example, caladryl or hydrocortisone salves and creams. Products that contain local anesthetics and analgesics also effectively alleviate symptoms for most people. Consult your physician or pharmacist for further assistance is choosing which product to use.

LINK
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:10:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bobby_the_Hun:
YUP ! Picked them up last saturday at the BGC/NJCSD casual meeting. Stupid me walked right into some shrubbery along the trail as we were touring the grounds.The SOBs are all over from the beltline to my toes, and they jumped on my JUNK too Those that attended and took the tour should be scratching their new pimples by now. Hopefully no one has 'em. Used Clorox bleach yesterday and a prescribed lotion today. NO fun.

Bobby_the_Chiggered_Hun

Aint that a beotch

You and Zbrane spent all that time outside down in VA and nothing.

Sorry to hear that Bob. PK90 too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:08:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:14:16 PM EDT
I guess I escaped - from what you guys are describing, I would have noticed by now. But just reading this and looking at those bug pictures is making me itchy.

Maybe try a colloidal oatmeal bath like Aveeno - it helped when I had the chicken pox about 5 years back.

Of course, there's always this -
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:19:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PK90:

2 casualties so far

Minor casualty here, a few on the ankle. They’re striking back for the chemical warfare we unleashed on their tick buddies during the last camping blast.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:21:02 AM EDT
Yes, I am a victum as well.

I forgot to spray and nature is unforgiving!
I only have them on my ankles.

Bobby_the_Hun,
What were you doing that has them ALL OVER your body? I know you are not the tallest guy in the bunch but you must have been low-crawling to the targets or something!

Getting chiggers IS a memerable experience BUT the gun club did not charge you for taking away some of our pets... THEY WERE PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE!!!

RW3

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:10:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RAYWOODROW3RD:
Yes, I am a victum as well.

I forgot to spray and nature is unforgiving!
I only have them on my ankles.

Bobby_the_Hun,
What were you doing that has them ALL OVER your body? I know you are not the tallest guy in the bunch but you must have been low-crawling to the targets or something!

Getting chiggers IS a memerable experience BUT the gun club did not charge you for taking away some of our pets... THEY WERE PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE!!!

RW3

I walked thru some brush waist high, so assuming I scooped some up between my t-shirt and belt, then they descended from there. How they got to my armpit, beats me One day I used bleach and the last 2 days I used Permethrin Lotion prescribed by my Doc. Looks like I am kicking their ASSES.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:09:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 5:47:15 AM EDT by Lion_Dog]
I have over 100 bites, up to my waist - my ankles and feet tops were hit also, and VERY BADLY. I would say flea before chigger - nonetheless I DEETED, had LONG pants on and still got sucked, and I didn't cum!

RAY- I say nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure!!!

Edited for Pix.

They SUCK!!!!

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:11:22 AM EDT
Holy crap
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:26:04 AM EDT
I did not need to see that.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:32:33 AM EDT
I didn't want ANYONE to think I was !!!!

Good thing I've been controlling the itching with Benadryl, or I am sure I would have developled secondary infections from scratching. This could surpass chinese water torture, chicken pox and Jane Fonda as the worst things somebody would have to put up with.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:23:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:02:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 3:04:42 PM EDT by Bobby_the_Hun]
Holy Crap !!!!! Stay the hell away from me for now on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:12:57 PM EDT

Tomorrow I have a scheduled Dr. appointment. I WILL have him test me for Lyme's.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:22:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 4:31:12 PM EDT by Bobby_the_Hun]

Originally Posted By Lion_Dog:

Tomorrow I have a scheduled Dr. appointment. I WILL have him test me for Lyme's.

Good Luck and ask him for Permethrin 5% Creme. Its used for Scabies (Mites). Message the cream into your skin from your neck to your toes, shower 12 hours later.Do it again. Wash your bed sheets daily and the clothes you wore each day right away. Its the only way to rid the Fckers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:08:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:58:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:14:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 3:17:13 PM EDT by RAYWOODROW3RD]
Yes it is VA-gunnut.

The campsite is cleared and so is the trail to access it.

Rumaging through the bushes (ehem, in sandles) will get them what they got ESPECIALLY if you do not spray yourself.

(Chiggers gotta eat too!!!)

Remember...

DEET is your FRIEND!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:28:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lion_Dog:
I have over 100 bites, up to my waist - my ankles and feet tops were hit also, and VERY BADLY. I would say flea before chigger - nonetheless I DEETED, had LONG pants on and still got sucked, and I didn't cum!

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:29:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DebA:
I guess I escaped - from what you guys are describing, I would have noticed by now. But just reading this and looking at those bug pictures is making me itchy.

Maybe try a colloidal oatmeal bath like Aveeno - it helped when I had the chicken pox about 5 years back.

Of course, there's always this -

You had chicken pox when you were 19???? Who'da thunk it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:49:35 PM EDT

You had chicken pox when you were 19???? Who'da thunk it.

LOL!! Oh you smooth talker you! I haven't been 19 for - ummm - 10 years. Yeah, that's it. 10 years. he
Thanks for taking the hit for me, guys.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:13:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FMJunkie:
We've camped there twice and never had this kind of trouble! Were you guys having hot group man-love in the bushes or what?

[Col.Sink]Remember boys flys spread disease..........so keep yours closed.[/Col.Sink]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:47:36 AM EDT
OUCH!

You have my most sincere and deepest sympathies.

I never had the displeasure of having a chigger bite me until I was stationed at Fort Hood.

For two whole days I scratched myself in private areas. From my legs up to my groin I was covered in chigger bites. Bites on my balls as well. And I wasn’t the only one. Guys weren’t masturbating, they were scratching those insidious itchy bites.

And nothing ever worked.
Calamine, HAH!
It might as well have been tonic water for all the good it did.

But I could go on. But as my left arm is itching in sympathy I’ll stop and say a few extra prayers for you.

Ticks. They were different. Ticks you could see and kill them. Never chiggers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:00:59 AM EDT
WHAT did you all do????

Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
OUCH!

You have my most sincere and deepest sympathies.

I never had the displeasure of having a chigger bite me until I was stationed at Fort Hood.

For two whole days I scratched myself in private areas. From my legs up to my groin I was covered in chigger bites. Bites on my balls as well. And I wasn’t the only one. Guys weren’t masturbating, they were scratching those insidious itchy bites.

And nothing ever worked.
Calamine, HAH!
It might as well have been tonic water for all the good it did.

But I could go on. But as my left arm is itching in sympathy I’ll stop and say a few extra prayers for you.

Ticks. They were different. Ticks you could see and kill them. Never chiggers.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:34:33 PM EDT
I was referred to this on CHIGGERS -

Chigger LINK by Wildlife biologist.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:24:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lockedandloaded:
I thought this was going to be a thread about Tiger Woods for a second......

No that word I believe you are refering to is from Ian Fleming's Dr. No, "Chigroes" - some indigenous of the islands in the book, the product of mixed marriages - Chinese "Chi" and Negroes "groes" = Chigroes.
Top Top