Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 7/18/2008 11:59:50 AM EST
Just out of curiosity, does a CPL show up on a backround check? And has anyone had their employeer ask about it? I just applied for mine yesterday, and the thought just crossed my mind as I sit here bored at my current job...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:07:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 12:08:17 PM EST by GrabMyWrist]
Depends on how deep they dig. Most companies don't look for it. Being that you just applied for it, I doubt you have anything to worry about, if looking elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:11:51 PM EST
Alright, thats what I thought, but I wasnt sure. I guess if I was that worried about it I would have waited till the search is over, but its just beinging.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:13:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:14:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 10:11:06 AM EST by GrabMyWrist]
About a year ago, I was asked by my current employer, during the hiring process. Because it is a government job, I told the truth. I didn't want to take any chances.

That being said, if they didn't hire me because of that, I probably wouldn't want to work there anyway.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:18:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By GrabMyWrist:
About a year ago, I was asked by my current employer, during the hiring process. Because it is a governtment job, I told the truth. I didn't want to take any chances.

That being said, if they didn't hire me because of that, I probably wouldn't want to work there anyway.

Thats was kinda my feeling on the whole thing. I was just hoping it would not add another complication to the mix. Should be interesting.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:56:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 12:56:57 PM EST by 2whiskeyP]
I suppose if you were applying for a job with WA Ceasefire it may make a diff.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:23:56 PM EST

About a year ago, I was asked by my current employer, during the hiring process. Because it is a governtment job, I told the truth. I didn't want to take any chances.

Don't you just love that...

My interviewer raised an eyebrow when I mentioned my AK's and AR's(They wanted to know what type)
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:01:57 AM EST

My reply might have been...

"I'm sorry, I didn't read of any requirement in the job description to have a CPL...is it needed for this job?"

"No, we were just curious..."

"I'd like the questions asked to be relevant to the job at hand, please."
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:30:10 AM EST
My employer absolutely hates guns with a passion. When I was interviewed for the job, there was a questionnaire I had to fill out and one of the questions asked about gun ownership. I refused to answer it, and was subsequently asked the same question by the president/owner of the company. I responded by saying that I felt such questions are far beyond the scope of what is required for a simple job interview and is an invasion of my privacy.

The culture of the company is such that it is incredibly liberal. The president is an MIT-grad and the vice president is a Berkeley-grad and that should give you guys a clue about how things are.

I got the job...I think largely because I was the only guy (still am) that had the requisite array of skills they need. They eventually figured me for a conservative type along with a few others and so we're given "the treatment" by the majority of employees if you know what I mean.

Even though were kinda the "backbones" of our respective departments, we tend to get overlooked when it comes to raises and various other perks. Some years getting minuscule raises or nothing at all while others with more liberal views get huge bumps in pay for doing less.

So while I am secure in my job because they need my skills, I'll continue to be largely miserable as long as I work there.

I really enjoy the work and I find it very rewarding and satisfying, but the corporate environment is pretty miserable for a guy like me; therefore I am actively searching for another gig.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:03:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 10:04:30 AM EST by JohnB_greenAK]

Originally Posted By Arctangent:
...I felt such questions are far beyond the scope of what is required for a simple job interview and is an invasion of my privacy.

The culture of the company is such that it is incredibly liberal. The president is an MIT-grad and the vice president is a Berkeley-grad and that should give you guys a clue about how things are.

... therefore I am actively searching for another gig.

Funny how "liberals" are liberal only when it comes to others who think/act/feel like they do...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:45:39 AM EST
Exactly!

So much for the party of "tolerance" and "diversity".

Just some of the things that have happened:

The president of the company will only do tuition-assistance for employees on a case-by-case basis.

Even though I have a 3.61 cumulative GPA...he refuses to do any such deal for me while bankrolling other employees with lesser GPA's, like 3.1's and 2.75's and such...even though we're pursuing the same major.

Or how about you complete the exact same set of IT schools that all of the guys in your corporate IT dept have attended. Then and apply for an IT dept open position (initially posted internally) in the hopes of getting into the IT dept only to have the IT manager hire one of his old high-school buddies with less than half the schooling and qualifications.
Then a couple of years later that guy moves on after he acquires enough experience to become a commodity and they hire a guy who is the president's ex-wife's friend's grown kid who has no qualifications at all and then bankroll his education. All the while telling me that,"you're in such a critical position that it would be really tough to replace you"...while getting only a one 50-cent raise in four years.

You can't invite anybody over from work either, gotta be careful because if anyone recognizes your gun-safes and word gets back to the wrong people...

I tell ya' it's a real bitch being a conservative in a liberal-dominated corporate Amerika...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:12:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By JohnB_greenAK:

"I'm sorry, I didn't read of any requirement in the job description to have a CPL...is it needed for this job?"

I would not have hired you.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:13:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By jonathon:
My interviewer raised an eyebrow when I mentioned my AK's and AR's(They wanted to know what type)

Longguns, Handguns, Shotguns...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:41:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By R-32:

That's ok, because I wouldn't have worked for you. If I were asked that question, I wouldn't answer it...and if the HR people would have called with an offer, I would have told them "I'm exploring other options right now...thanks anyway."

No job is worth that kind of BS.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:15:42 PM EST

That's ok, because I wouldn't have worked for you. If I were asked that question, I wouldn't answer it...and if the HR people would have called with an offer, I would have told them "I'm exploring other options right now...thanks anyway."

Sure there are. But it depends on the job. I'm perfectly happy and come to find out, the majority of the people I work with, support the 2nd.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:47:25 PM EST

Sure there are. But it depends on the job. I'm perfectly happy and come to find out, the majority of the people I work with, support the 2nd.

Some jobs are, to some people. There's a lid for every pot, or something like that...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:50:56 PM EST

Some jobs are, to some people. There's a lid for every pot, or something like that...

I guess you wouldn't take a job that wanted to know your credit history either?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:12:30 AM EST
IMHO..

I wouldn't offer up information in a private sector job that is not security related.

However, in a government job where security clearance and honesty is required, I'll do it. The validity of the question may or may not be questionable, but it really doesn't make the difference between getting hired or not unless you lie about it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:49:48 PM EST
Never had a question like this asked in an interview.

As far as I know, a "CPL check" is different from a background check, and a warrant check. When you're pulled over, from what I've been told, when they "run" your DL (as in for warrants), they don't know you have a CPL unless they specifically request a CPL check. This is what I've been told.

So on a background check for a civilian job, I highly doubt that you would show up as a "CPL holder".

I would not volunteer this type of information in ANY interview, since it's none of their business, and you might not know yet what their workplace policies are, or how management "feels" on this particular issue.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:10:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By ViniVidivici:
Never had a question like this asked in an interview.

As far as I know, a "CPL check" is different from a background check, and a warrant check. When you're pulled over, from what I've been told, when they "run" your DL (as in for warrants), they don't know you have a CPL unless they specifically request a CPL check. This is what I've been told.

Its my understanding the CPL is tied to the DL in some counties, "officer safety". R32 might have more insight to this specific issue, what say you R32?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:20:18 PM EST
Indeed, what's the scoop?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:27:56 PM EST
While listening to my scanner a few months ago, I heard the PD dispatcher advise the responding officers that the resident had a CPL. The call was concerning a car prowl on the residents car.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:06:43 PM EST
I wonder if that check was specifically requested, or done automatically because of a residence involved.

For Officer safety I could see, absolutely. But I've been pulled over for speedin', lights gone out, never had an Officer ask me if I was armed, or had any weapons on board, etc. I know just because they're aware of your CPL status doesn't mean they'll ask.

Oh no........it appears..........we're hijacking...........aren't we..........
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:00:46 PM EST
BUMP, 'cause now I'm kinda curious.....
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:31:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 10:41:38 PM EST by R-32]
If they run my plate no,If they run my name, yes. It is all tied, but they have to dig "a little" until they get my CPL info. Run the number on the CPL, they then know that I own an XD40. Most cops dont have a reason/want to run anyone that deep.

John, the only reason I said I would not hire you at my job... ( Other then the smart assed reply.)

I would know already first off., and second, I want to make sure Im NOT going to get some wimp that is not willing to take care of themselves.

GMR nailed it on the head, In the fire dept, you could only count the number on 1 hand of non 2A people. And at my work, we have a metric boatload of employees that pack.

For a regular backround check, for a non LEO/Corrections type gig... Not likely.

Im tired, Im going to bed now.

Top Top