Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2005 10:38:52 AM EDT
well apparently i live in "unincorporated pierce county" even though i have an Bonney Lake Adress, do you guys know where in Tacoma i have to go to get my cpl?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm just guessing, but since you live in the county you may have to go to the sheriffs dept. But since you have a bonney lake address you may be able to go to the bonney lake PD. I'd call both of them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Pierce county may require you to go to the courthouse in Tacoma.  I belive the LESA office is on the second or third floor.  Fill out the form, give em your prints, pay your money, wait 1 to 30 days, and VOILA, it's in your mailbox.  If your are curious about the laws once you get your permit, IM SKSGuy, he knows it all!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I also live in unincorporated county and was directed to the sheriff....I suspect itll be the same for you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#4]
you will have to go the courthouse in downtown tacoma. Real nice gals.

I live just 2 blocks outside the Gig Harbor city limits....and have a GH address...makes no difference....had to go to the courthouse.......but no big deal.

Back in the day it was called a CWP, made sense to me.......now its a CPL......which makes no sense, by definition(of a pistol) you can only carry a semi auto as a revolver is not a pistol.......:D
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I live just 2 blocks outside the Gig Harbor city limits....and have a GH address...makes no difference....had to go to the courthouse.......but no big deal.

Back in the day it was called a CWP, made sense to me.......now its a CPL......which makes no sense, by definition(of a pistol) you can only carry a semi auto as a revolver is not a pistol.......:D

Except in the state of Washington, where our legislators are much more knowledgable about firearms than us average peons.  They define a pistol in RCW 9.41.010 as:

(2) "Pistol" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

They make no distinction between "pistol" and "revolver" like us uneducated buffoon gun owners.....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL :D

I found this, pretty fitting actaully

"pistol - A handgun. Originally refered to any handgun except a revolver, but that distinction is often lost today"

as well as the legislators.......the lost part ;)

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except in the state of Washington, where our legislators are much more knowledgable about firearms than us average peons.  They define a pistol in RCW 9.41.010 as:

(2) "Pistol" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

They make no distinction between "pistol" and "revolver" like us uneducated buffoon gun owners.....

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got mine renewed a couple weeks ago.  2nd floor of the courthouse.  As soon as you walk in you're on the second floor.  The elevators will be to your left, the pistol permits are just to the right of the elevators.  If this is your first one they'll send you upstairs to get finger printed.  If it's a renewal, takes about 10 minutes if nobody is in line.  Be sure to fill out the paperwork before you go to the window.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Does that mean I could legally carry an M4 with a 14.5 inch barrel, and the stock and handguards removed? It would be shorter than 16 inches, and would be fired with only one hand.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys, went down to the county city building earlier and got it all figured out.  hopefully i'll be carrying in 30 days or so :-)   But now i don't know what to spend my money on... an EO tech and an A3 upper, or some lazer grips and pistol accessories... hrmmm
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Does that mean I could legally carry an M4 with a 14.5 inch barrel, and the stock and handguards removed? It would be shorter than 16 inches, and would be fired with only one hand.

If the receiver never had a stock attached, you'd be OK.  Otherwise you would fall under the definition of "short barreled rifle"

"Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle by any means of modification if such modified weapon has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

Part in red is the applicable piece to your suggestion.  But if the receiver was never "papered" as a rifle, but as a pistol, then you could have your 14.5" barrel AR pistol, even with the forward handguard...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#11]
ViperChief I'm 100% sure what Scollinsmean is- Handguards are fine, you cannot have a vertical foregrip or buttstock.

Once built as a rifle, always a rifle. Firstime built as a pistol, you can re-build as a rifle, then back again, providing when the attached Bbl is less than 16", the vertical foregrip and buttstock are removed.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
hopefully i'll be carrying in 30 days or so :-)  

From what I understand they mail out the CPLs once a month, around the 15th.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#13]
ooh that's even better.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Update:

My CPL just arrived on thursday, and yesterday, i carried concealed for the first time................. and it was awesome!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Update:

My CPL just arrived on thursday, and yesterday, i carried concealed for the first time................. and it was awesome!

Congrats.

Now, click here, read and bookmark.

Trey
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#16]
nice link, looks like i've got some reading to do.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I need to go in and get mine.  Are they open when I'm not working?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#18]
They close at 4:30 which in reality means you'd better be there at 4:20 seeing as how their clocks tend to run a little fast by the end of the day.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I need to go in and get mine.  Are they open when I'm not working?

Good thing the Army loves their 4-day weekends!  That should give you either a Friday or a Monday to square yourself away.  

I also hear that if you bring the PD a box of grid squares, chemlight batteries or RADAR contacts they'll expedite the CPL for you.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#20]
The next one (that I know of) isn't until President's Day.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Lunch break?  Don't you still get from 1130 to 1300?

And if you need a ride, I'm free most days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top