Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 10/1/2014 4:54:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2014 5:08:15 PM EST by ewetstone]
I know from previous discussions here that Colt should be avoided for various reasons.

Does the SP1 also fall into this category?

ETA: If so...can someone refresh my memory on which mfg's to look for in a pre-ban lower....thanx much.

Also...awhile back one of you posted several links to the EE where people had a pre ban lower for sale. If those links could be re-posted I would greatly appreciate it. I have been thru the EE and so far my old eyes have not spied one yet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:13:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2014 5:15:41 PM EST by msg1956]
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Colt AR. After all, I doubt anyone has had more experience then them in building the AR15 series of rifles. What has been discussed is the various negatives that come along with the Colt brand. You can find any combination of these:

1) Usually asking a premium price just because it is a Colt.

2) Large front takedown pin that uses the two screws (you need an adapter to use any small hole upper).

3) No protective fence around the mag catch (called a slab-side).

4) Larger than USGI hammer and trigger pins.

5) Hardened block pinned in the lower to prevent insertion of an auto sear and F/A bolt carrier. This means you have to use a carrier that is relieved to clear it.

6) Safety selector switch stops machined off.

If memory serves, the SP1 series will not suffer from numbers 4 and 5 above. Also, the SP1 emulates the original AR15 design, which didn't have a fence around the mag catch (that improvement added after field experience), so it is "correct". Also, if I am still on base, it has a 1 in 12 twist barrel, which makes .22 LR conversion kits a bit more accurate than the faster twists of the later models.

If the price is right, and you can deal with the above, go for it!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:31:26 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By msg1956:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Colt AR. After all, I doubt anyone has had more experience then them in building the AR15 series of rifles. What has been discussed is the various negatives that come along with the Colt brand. You can find any combination of these:

2) Large front takedown pin that uses the two screws (you need an adapter to use any small hole upper).

5) Hardened block pinned in the lower to prevent insertion of an auto sear and F/A bolt carrier. This means you have to use a carrier that is relieved to clear it.

If memory serves, the SP1 series will not suffer from numbers 4 and 5 above. Also, the SP1 emulates the original AR15 design, which didn't have a fence around the mag catch (that improvement added after field experience), so it is "correct". Also, if I am still on base, it has a 1 in 12 twist barrel, which makes .22 LR conversion kits a bit more accurate than the faster twists of the later models.

View Quote

Well...I am really only in it for the lower. I guess I just really need to know about the take down holes. I want to put a modern upper on it....with no "adapters".
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:00:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By ewetstone:

Well...I am really only in it for the lower. I guess I just really need to know about the take down holes. I want to put a modern upper on it....with no "adapters".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By msg1956:

Then you have to find some company selling a modern upper using big bushing holes .... OR....
Have your lower modified by m60joe
Google is your friend
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:09:39 PM EST
Did all models of the older Colts have the large front take down hole?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:13:09 PM EST
No.

I have a colt carbine with the small front hole.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:27:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By Toadyrock:
No.

I have a colt carbine with the small front hole.
View Quote

Which model?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:47:46 PM EST
I have SP-1s. I use the front offset pin from Brownells. Yeah, you need a screwdriver to remove the upper completely but you can do it in seconds. Never had an issue with it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:51:23 PM EST
Colt lowers are fine. Some have the large trigger pins which if you know you have them is no big deal. All the good triggers are available with large pins. The large take down pin holes can be converted, fore a fee of course. Check out M60Joe.

Here is one for sale. This has the regular size take down pins. With the stock, buffer tube and lower parts kit you have a pretty fair price on this lower.

There are a couple other ads for Pre bans but they are older and not updated so most likely sold.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:24:44 PM EST
Ar15 A2
Gov't carbine
Call .223

Brought to me by the Republic of Texas's local sheriff dept.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:31:40 PM EST
I believe I have procured a complete Olympic Arms lower with stock for 450.00.

Before I complete the purchase...is there anything I need to know about this lower???
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:37:18 PM EST

Before I complete the purchase...is there anything I need to know about this lower???
View Quote

Nope.

Thats a great deal.

Olys are generally fine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:43:21 PM EST
Man I hope we see stripped Prebans for $250 soon
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:57:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By matthardcore:

Nope.

Thats a great deal.

Olys are generally fine.
View All Quotes

Nope.

Thats a great deal.

Olys are generally fine.

Thanx Matt. Always nice to get a GTG from such a seasoned member.

Now I just gotto get the damn thing before the seller decides to raise the price.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:59:53 PM EST

Nope.

Thats a great deal.

Olys are generally fine.
View All Quotes

Nope.

Thats a great deal.

Olys are generally fine.

Pretty easy to verify S/N and build date

Good quality too
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:09:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By cavgunner:
[div style='margin-left: 40px;']

Good quality too
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cavgunner:
[div style='margin-left: 40px;']

Nope.

Thats a great deal.

Olys are generally fine.

Good quality too

Yup....went on Olympic Arms site and it shows mfg. date between 5/94 and 8/94. So its about as new as a pre ban can get.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:41:36 PM EST
So what is the exact cutoff date for pre bans?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:44:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By tommyt:
So what is the exact cutoff date for pre bans?
View Quote

Must be manufactured prior to 9/13/1994.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:31:23 AM EST
Like others have posted, Colts are fine, you just need to be aware of that companies quirks. Personally, I would never pay a premium for a Colt lower, then put more money into having someone modify it, when you can simply by an updated version by another company.

If you can get a 1994 Oly for $450, don't hesitate, just do it. I have one of their early receivers (1980's) and just about every dimension on it is wrong! However, all I have read about the later ones say good things about them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:43:59 AM EST
Top Top