Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2016 10:42:31 PM EDT
We can send the CLEO copies of our Form 1s to local law enforcement (PD or sheriff) or the "Head of State Police," which SilencerShop recommends as being FHP, but I was thinking FDLE would be the head of state police.  You can also send it to your State Attorney, but I would not interpret the definition as being just any assistant state attorney mind you (although it doesn't seem to preclude that interpretation, I just think that would be dumb).  The definition is found on 2(g) in the instructions on the Form 1.  

So my question is where do you think would be the "best" place to send it and why...to the local PD, to the local sheriff, to FHP, to FDLE, or to the local State Attorney?  Why?

Btw, I fully comprehend you can't send it to any PD or sheriff; I understand it is the PD or sheriff that has jurisdiction over the address of the applicant in box 3b of the Form 1.  

I have no idea which of the five would be best and wanted to see what anyone else thought.  I don't even know what would constitute "best" place.  I am leaning to sending it to my local State Atty Office.  I intend to call em up and see what they say.  I'm guessing they will likely wonder if I am on drugs.  

Thanks.

ETA - look at this statute, section 790.335:  http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.335.html

It says:  

No state governmental agency or local government, special district, or other political subdivision or official, agent, or employee of such state or other governmental entity or any other person, public or private, shall knowingly and willfully keep or cause to be kept any list, record, or registry of privately owned firearms or any list, record, or registry of the owners of those firearms.

It also says (among many other things):

A list, record, or registry of legally owned firearms or law-abiding firearm owners is not a tool for fighting terrorism, but rather is an instrument that can be used as a means to profile innocent citizens and to harass and abuse American citizens based solely on their choice to own firearms and exercise their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed under the United States Constitution.

Law-abiding firearm owners whose names have been illegally recorded in a list, record, or registry are entitled to redress.

This SHOULD mean that as soon as the CLEO receives your notification, he can check it to see if the RP/Applicant is prohibited from possessing, but then must trash the notification.  And if he doesn't, then the affected person would be entitled to "redress" which means lawsuit for cash.  Even if you don't have actual damages, you would have nominal damages and a shifty lawyer could extort money from the law enforcement agency.  That is a sizable incentive to not keep the records.  

But keeping records really isn't my concern.  I'm more interested to know if there are other reasons why I would want to choose one particular agency over another when it comes to CLEO notification.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:23:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Just send them to your local agency.

Dan
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#3]
You're making it complicated...

Send it to the Sheriff if you live in an unincorporated area with no functioning Police Department. If you live in an incorporated city that has a Police Department, send it to the Chief of Police.

Who ever provides you with police services, based on where you live, is where the form goes... it's really that simple.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#4]
About to send out a form 1 after this 41p stuff, can the chief harass you after receiving notification?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
About to send out a form 1 after this 41p stuff, can the chief harass you after receiving notification?
View Quote

Harass for what? How?

They have no say.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Harass for what? How?

They have no say.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Harass for what? How?

They have no say.

My local cleo is pretty anti, I can see him calling or paying a visit to ask questions even though there's nothing he can do.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Send it to the Sheriff if you live in an unincorporated area with no functioning Police Department. If you live in an incorporated city that has a Police Department, send it to the Chief of Police.
Who ever provides you with police services, based on where you live, is where the form goes... it's really that simple.

View Quote

My recommendation is that, if you want to contribute to the discussion, then explain WHY to do 'X' or not do 'Y'.  

I encourage you to read the definition found in 2(g):

Law Enforcement Notification. The applicant must provide a copy of the Form 1 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction over the area of the applicant's address shown in item 3b of the Form 1. In addition, if the applicant is other than an individual, a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire,for each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor..

The point of this post to discuss why one option may be better than the other.  Whenever you would like to contribute something to that discussion, then please return to this discussion.  Thanks.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

My recommendation is that, if you want to contribute to the discussion, then explain WHY to do 'X' or not do 'Y'.  

Law Enforcement Notification. The applicant must provide a copy of the Form 1 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction over the area of the applicant's address shown in item 3b of the Form 1. In addition, if the applicant is other than an individual, a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire,for each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The point of this post to discuss why one option may be better than the other.  Whenever you would like to contribute something to that discussion, then please return to this discussion.  Thanks.  

let me help you out.  

PS.  this isn't GD
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I encourage you to read the definition found in 2(g): Law Enforcement Notification. The applicant must provide a copy of the Form 1 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction over the area of the applicant's address shown in item 3b of the Form 1. In addition, if the applicant is other than an individual, a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire,for each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I encourage you to read the definition found in 2(g): Law Enforcement Notification. The applicant must provide a copy of the Form 1 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction over the area of the applicant's address shown in item 3b of the Form 1. In addition, if the applicant is other than an individual, a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire,for each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor..

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, Silencer Shop is sending them to Pam Bondi at the Capitol address

haven't figured that one out yet, but who am I to correct them
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FWIW, Silencer Shop is sending them to Pam Bondi at the Capitol address

haven't figured that one out yet, but who am I to correct them
View Quote

One address to keep up with...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top