Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2009 5:05:21 AM EDT
I've got to renew my CHL in January and I heard that DPS will send out the forms to you.  Is this correct or should I go online and do it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
DPS will send a reminder to the addresses they have on file.  If your address is up to date you should get one.

Having said that with the backlog of applications in Austin....about a 16week wait accordsing to some recent reports I would suggest you shedule your renewal sooner rather than later.  

If your due in Jan. the you still have some time...but don't delay

ETA.  Register online for renewals
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is up in Jan. also. I plan on getting into a class as soon as I get the renewal letter.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#3]
i don't think you have to wait until you get the reminder in the mail.  it's just that you cannot renew (class instruction/certificate) no earlier than six months from the expiration date.  

someone should be able to confirm this.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i don't think you have to wait until you get the reminder in the mail.  it's just that you cannot renew (class instruction/certificate) no earlier than six months from the expiration date.  

That is not true.  The TR100 you receive when you complete the class for a renewal is only valid for six months.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not true.  The TR100 you receive when you complete the class for a renewal is only valid for six months.  

so if a person's chl were to expire on their b-day (example jan 1, 2010), how early could they take the class?   i thought you could not renew outside of 180 days (6 mo.) prior to the chl expiraton date.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so if a person's chl were to expire on their b-day (example jan 1, 2010), how early could they take the class?   i thought you could not renew outside of 180 days (6 mo.) prior to the chl expiration date.

Take the class whenever you want. There is no restriction on when you can renew.  Just remember, if you renew too early you will screw yourself out of time on your current license.  

Let's say my CHL expires on Jan. 1, 2011.  I know that in August, I will be out of the country for two years.  That means when I get home in August 2011, my license will be expired.  To avoid that, I take the class and apply on July 1 this year.  Now let's assume that DPS takes exactly 45 days to issue my renewal.  That means that my renewed license will be valid thru August 15, 2014, and expire on my birthday after that date.  

When I return from overseas in August 2011 I will have a valid license waiting for me.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Texas Handgun License Renewal Process
Beginning in January, 1998 the first prorated Texas concealed handgun licenses will begin to expire. Currently the department is mailing out renewal notices and applications to instructors and license holders approximately 90 days before their certification or license expires.

To renew, instructors must pay the $100.USD cashier’s check, personal check, or money order, made payable to the Texas Department of Public Safety, and pass the certification renewal course at the Department headquarters in Austin. This is a one day course.

After receiving the renewal packet in the mail, renewing license holders must return the following items to the Department:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/renew.htm
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Beginning in January, 1998 the first prorated Texas concealed handgun licenses will begin to expire. Currently the department is mailing out renewal notices and applications to instructors and license holders approximately 90 days before their certification or license expires.
DPS needs to update their info.  From the Texas Administrative Code

Texas Administrative Code

TITLE 37 PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONS
PART 1 TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
CHAPTER 6 LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUNS
SUBCHAPTER B ELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATION PROCEDURES
RULE §6.15 Renewal of License

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

(a) Grace period. An expired license may be renewed for up to one year after the expiration date. If the license has been expired for more than one year, the former license holder must submit an original license application to receive a license in the future.

(b) Notice of renewal. Renewal notices will be mailed to license holder no more than six (6) months before the expiration date to the address currently reported to the department by the applicant.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

(a) Grace period. An expired license may be renewed for up to one year after the expiration date. If the license has been expired for more than one year, the former license holder must submit an original license application to receive a license in the future.

(b) Notice of renewal. Renewal notices will be mailed to license holder no more than six (6) months before the expiration date to the address currently reported to the department by the applicant.  

Well since it's DPS who issues the license I would go with what is on their site.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a CHL from Pennsylvania that's good in TEXAS just by sending them a copy of my TEXAS chl, their application & $40.00. Now I'm not worried if TEXAS takes longer then normal because I'm covered under reciprocity.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for the follow up txi.   i was getting a little bugged by the extended processing times that were being reported and thought that the window of renewal was closing in on the situation of an expiration (which i and others do not want to happen).   for some reason, i had six months as the maximum to start the renewal process.  

gotta give credit to the dps folks working hard with what the've got, but dang, they're getting flooded and still have to make it right.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well since it's DPS who issues the license I would go with what is on their site.

DPS  is currently sending renewal notices up to 6 months ahead.   I have no idea what your other point(s) may be.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#15]
My renewal took a little over 60 days.  Submitted March 04, rec'd early May, forget exact date.  Showed up within a few days of the online status saying the renewal license was issued.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top