Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 9:25:06 AM EDT
I saw a thread about this a couple weeks ago I believe but couldn't find it again to post my question in it. So sorry for the repost. But if there is nothing I signed when I started working here and no 30.06 etc... posted on the door is it legal to carry at work?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#1]
yes
ETA you dont have to sign anything. It only has to be policy. If you are told verbally not to carry that counts too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Do I have to say anything about it to my employer?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I understand, it is legal in the sense that you won't get arrested, but that doesn't mean they can't fire you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No!  IN fact doing so could be considered the same as intentionally un-concealing.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No!  IN fact doing so could be considered the same as intentionally un-concealing.

?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Like others mentioned, it is policy. Even if you do not sign, it is a no-no in the workplace. Dot not ask your employer cause he will say no and he will find a way to fire you especially here in TX when they can do it without reason.

Get some secondary ways of protection or "concealed means concealed".
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm, WHAT?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
If your employer gives you ANY verbal notice, you can be charged criminally and fired for carry there. If the employer gives you written notice that has the language in 30.06, then you can be criminally charged and fired.  That written notice does not have to be in Spanish or meet the height or contrasting colors requirement.

Of course, a 30.06 sign is notice.

Any notice less than above can get you fired, but not charged.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#9]
So if nothing is posted, said, whispered, uttered, or drawn then I am good to go?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So if nothing is posted, said, whispered, uttered, or drawn then I am good to go?

Yes'r thats correct
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Depends on where you work. Read penal code 46.03 and 46.035.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Better make sure you read every employee handbook, email, memo, or whatever.  I don't remember anything about it in the employee general handbook about it at my work, but I know they have rules about it in our company vehicle guidelines that we sign off on evey other year. As I drive a company vehicle 5 days a week to and from work, I'm out of luck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#13]
We have no employee handbook, rules, nothing haha. I work at a small mom and pop shop.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:02:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Code of Conduct rule # 36 at my job

"The possession of firearms, explosives, or other weapons on Company property, or while attempting to access secured areas, aircraft, or Company property, or knowingly permitting another employee to do so is strictly prohibited. This includes both on and off duty periods. (Revision of this rule, January 1, 1995).

Note: U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and its applicable rules and regulations, govern the Federal Flight Deck Officers (FFDO) program."

It has been challenged by part time LEO who come to work after their LEO shift, no firearms allowed, period. I know several people who got fired for breaking this rule.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If your employer gives you ANY verbal notice, you can be charged criminally and fired for carry there. If the employer gives you written notice that has the language in 30.06, then you can be criminally charged and fired.  That written notice does not have to be in Spanish or meet the height or contrasting colors requirement.

If the OP was not notified through any of the above mentioned forms, decided to carry concealed with his CHL, and then the OP's employer fired him specifically for carrying, then I think he would have grounds for a lawsuit since he neither violated the law nor company policies.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the OP was not notified through any of the above mentioned forms, decided to carry concealed with his CHL, and then the OP's employer fired him specifically for carrying, then I think he would have grounds for a lawsuit since he neither violated the law nor company policies.

I may not be following you.....  If he is given less than 30.06 notice he can be fired if caught carrying.  Texas is an "at will" state.  You can be fired for anything other than protected classes (race, religious beliefs, etc).  

That said, my confusion lies in the statement you make that he would not have violated "company policies".  If you are given notice not to carry, isn't that a de facto policy?  Not that it matters due to our "at will state".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top