Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 2:43:11 PM EDT
The wife and I went to our CHL class this past Saterday. Now the big wait. I've already been looking at holsters and different ways to carry but I would like to know how you guys carry and what ? I've got a 92 beretta and even with no holster it seems to stick out quite a bit. Is there a sertain amount of buldge that everyone has and just isn't a problem or can you really hide a full size auto compleatly. My wife has a 4" XD-9 and it'll dam near fit in my pocket but I like my Bert. and would really like to carry it.

And while I have your attention after takeing my shooting test my target was brought up as an example of what not to do. I had eaten out the X ring and the instructor said I was taking to much time to shot the target I was the first one to fire usally and never the last to finish. When I ask more about " taking to much time" I was told someone in a real life senerio dosn't have time to aim. If this is the case then why have a scoring systeam. He also told me they teach the recruits to shot 2 shots in 2 secounds. I don't agree with this thinking but would like to get ya'lls take on it as well.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Taurus 38 and a Kel-tec 380 for the summer.
You can hide your 92 under a Hawaiian shirt but not well under a T-shirt.
Some bulge is ok and it will look like a love handle.  Just so it does not scream gun!

Tell the instructor to go Fuck himself and just run the whistle.
His job is to make sure you shoot in the time allowed and make the minimum score.  He is not to brow beat you, “stress you” or make the test some sort of real life scenario.  I don’t give a damn what “they” teach recruits.  You’re not a recruit.  You’re a civilian taking a civilian test and one that is designed to be easy.  

As you can see I am kind of hot about this topic.  You job was to demonstrate something to him but that was not good enough for him.  he wanted to make it harder and try to screw with you.  that is not his job.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Comp-Tac's, but most quality Kydex holsters work equally well.  A paddle is more comfortable, and easier to don/doff, but also requires an untucked shirt or jacket; IWB solves the untucked "problem", but tends to be less comfortable.

One thing you will notice is that a loaded handgun is heavier than most intuitively think; a quality built-for-purpose belt is an essential part of the concealment system.  Blackhawk makes nice nylon ones, and Dillon sells double thick leather ones, for example.

Another option is a purpose-built [i.e. has a holster inside] fanny pack, aka "fag-bag".  The only negative is that it screams CCW to anyone who knows to look for the pull tab.

A caution for your wife with the XD; it is generally considered a bad idea to carry any weapon with passive safeties loose inside of a purse.  Trigger snags invite the opportunity for ND on such a weapon.

Whatever system you choose, practice as much as you can stand with an unloaded weapon.  You may find that a 92 is a bit on the large/heavy side.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're new to concealed carry, it'll probably take some time to get comfortable carrying.  At first, you're gonna think everyone's looking at you and you'll be hyper-aware of your gun.  If you carry regularly, this goes away after a while.

It'll take some trial and error trying to figure out what works for you.  Like a lot of us, you may end up with a box full of holsters until you find one or two that work the best for you.  You might end up trying out various styles of shirts or other cover garments, different sizes, patterns, materials, etc.  If you try out IWB, you'll want to get a couple pairs of pants as well as belts that are a size bigger than you normally wear to allow a little more room for the holster & gun.  And you also might find yourself wanting to look into the other carry methods like hidden pockets in coats or vests, belly bands, fanny packs, cross-draw holsters for when driving, etc.

As has already been mentioned, the belt is a very important piece of your "rig."  A lot of folks may not realize it, but a good, sturdy belt that's matched to the slots/loops on your holster is a key component of a comfortable set-up.

For leather belts, look into quality stuff from holster makers such as Rafter S.  A lot of folks seem to be impressed with the affordable belts available from The Belt Man who also makes belts for Gunner's Alley.

For a web belt, look at the 5-stitch Instructors Belt from The Wilderness, also available at Gunner's Alley.

For holsters - there are just a ton of choices.  For Kydex, Comp-Tac's great stuff.  I love their mag carriers.  I have a couple of Comp-Tac holsters but don't use 'em a lot.

For leather, the sky's the limit.  In addition to the  more expensive big-name makers like Lou Alessi, Mitch Rosen, and Milt Sparks, there are quite a few smaller makers who make awesome holsters at great prices.  Mass-produced store-bought stuff from Galco & Bianchi is okay but probably won't hold up as well as a holster from a custom maker.  In some cases, however, you're paying custom-holster prices for an inferior mass-produced product.

I use an Alessi CQC/S for my Glock 19 along with a Wilderness belt and Comp-Tac mag holders when I carry spares.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a Wild Bill's IWB holster for my 1911.  Works great.  I can even conceal carry under a polo shirt.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I never was a fan of Kydex, but it does keep things thinner. Also, getting a holster with a cant will help hide the butt of the gun which is what tends to stick out most.

I use a Kahr PM9 with either a FIST Kydex holster or a Hedley pocket holster (when I wear T-shirts here in TX)

As people have mentioned, you'll have to find out what works best for you.

You know, one of these days we ought to get everyone together and bring all of the holsters that didn't work for yourself and have a swap meet!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#7]
It sounds like a lot of trial and error is in order. I was surprised that concealment was not part of our class.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Tell the instructor to go Fuck himself and just run the whistle.
His job is to make sure you shoot in the time allowed and make the minimum score.  He is not to brow beat you, “stress you” or make the test some sort of real life scenario.  I don’t give a damn what “they” teach recruits.  You’re not a recruit.  You’re a civilian taking a civilian test and one that is designed to be easy.  

As you can see I am kind of hot about this topic.  You job was to demonstrate something to him but that was not good enough for him.  he wanted to make it harder and try to screw with you.  that is not his job.  

Yeah, that'll work.  Do that in my class and you can take your smart ass home with no TR100.  In fact, the course CALLS for the 2 shot drills to be done in 2 seconds, except for the 15 yard line.  

Unless you were there you have no idea of the dynamic between this student and the instructor. I guess you can tell I am kinda hot about know-it-all students.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It sounds like a lot of trial and error is in order. I was surprised that concealment was not part of our class.

it's not that tough.  just keep it under cover.

The state wants you to demonstrate you can make the gun function.  That is why the shooting test is so easy.  They teach lethal force statutes, where and when you can and can’t carry and conflict de-escalation.  They have just a few hours to cover everything you need to know on those subjects.  

If you want to know how to shoot a gun,  draw from concealment, which is the best holster and how to carry concealed you need to take a self defense shooting course.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:01:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I just started carrying (received my CHL about a week ago) and I have the 4" SA 1911 champion.

Only thing I can complain about, is the gun is a little heavy.  And this is a 1911 with an aluminum frame that is about 8 ounces lighter than the standard frame.

For a temporary holster solution until I find something a little more professional, I bought this from brownells.com:

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6951&title=BELT+SLIDE+HOLSTER

just a simple molded leather holster.

I found that putting it inside the belt (meaning making the belt cover the holster) helped even more in concealing it (keeping it closer to my body) and felt like it was weighing down my pants less.

But it's a 1911, it's going to be heavier than a lot of other CCW's.

-mark

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Milt Sparks belt and VMII.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I've got a VMII. Great hoster, but those belt loops are not exactly stealthy and the Kydex clips don't work so well (for me at least). I use the VMII when I have a jacket or untucked shirt, but other than that, I don't get a whole lot of use out of it. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#13]
i use the vmII for my glock and it works great for me.

distributes the weight real well
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#14]

+1
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I have happily used several cheap neoprene IWB holsters with 3" and 3.5" 1911's and Glock 19 & 26. Likewise, I like my "tuckable" Comp-tac with my Glock 19 and 26, and while I have tucked in my shirt and have carried successfully, I didn't feel it was as comfortable or practacle as wearing a sweatshirt or untucked golf shirt.  

I have read many good reviews here and at rigrate.com for Milt Sparks products like the Versamax and their holster-belts.

-Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know if he's making them for the 92's or not, but I love the RM Holsters Low Rider IWB.  I like it much better then the Comp-Tac C-T.A.C..  It's more rounded so it doesn't poke, and rides lower so it hides better.  Even with the longed clips on my C-T.A.C. the Low Rider is still lower.

Inside the waist band is much easier to conceal then a paddle, if only because the guns muzzle doesn't hang down below your belt line.

I also carry in a bellyband when I have to tuck in my shirt.  Bellybands are the only way to carry tucked in in my opinion.  Nothing whatsoever shows from the outside, no J-Hooks, no plastic clips, nothing.

Those are the only holsters I've ever carried concealed in.  I actually have a shortage of holsters, no box of holsters for me.  I chalk it up to luck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I also use a Milt Sparks VMII.  It makes my Kimber disappear.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#18]
www.mernickleholsters.com/
Check these guys out, i really like the ones i have from them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Another resounding +1 on the VMII.  With a good belt it makes my 4" Kimber disappear under anything untucked, even a t-shirt, and it is comfortable enough to wear all day.

An as others have said do NOT underestimate the importance of a good belt to the equation.  I like the reinforced nylon "instructors belts" made by lots of different vendors.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:03:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been using a CTAC for my Glock 17 since I got my CHL a couple of weeks ago, with absolutely no problems so far--it just seems to disappear. I can almost always have an untucked shirt or cover garment, though, so haven't used the tuckable feature yet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#22]
thanks for all the good info guys it's been a real help. I finaly rembered how to post pics so I posted the target  I was talking about. Yes We did the 2 shot drill during or class but I was told to speed up to the point I could no longer shot a tight group, this made me wonder, in a real life situation is it better to be quick or accurate. Both have there cons.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top