Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2003 10:12:59 AM EDT
Due to popular demand, chamber safety flags are now required in all longarms (or unholster handguns left on benches outside of range bags) at the MODCC shoots.  This is one step in making our shoots safer for all participants.

To save you, the shooter, the trouble of ordering these and paying $8 shipping on a $2 piece of yellow plastic, I ordered a bunch from Brownells.  So you can purchase these from me for $2 each to cover my costs (actually it figures to about $1.75, but I need the extra quarter for laundry).  

Of if you can't spare the $2, I suppose you can improvise and make some kind of safety device (yellow please, to make identification easier) that blocks the chamber partially open.

I believe that GaryM also ordered a bunch and will be selling his to cover his costs.

Thanks,

Chris
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#1]
of course now you tell me after i already ordered mine. Chris, thanks for doing this. you do a wonderful job and need to be commended. this should help out a lot. make everybody breathe easier. Ronald
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Chris.  This will make it a lot easier for new shooters to join us.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Ditto...
Thanks Chris...

I'll need (2) of your flags...
(3) if you count my shotgun...

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
How do they work? Can you post a pic? What about weapons that have bipods? Will you be able to see them the same way? Are they flexible or moveable? Just wondering because there are so many different configurations out there!!! Thanks! I'll probably buy one at the next shoot if there are any left!
MM
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The chamber safety flag HKocher mentioned is a small L-shaped bright yellow plastic.  The longer end of the flag is to be inserted into the chamber, the short end makes a perpendicular angle with the chamber and prevent the bolt from closing fully.  This helps securing the gun w/o bolt hold open feature (AK, G3 etc).  The short end of the flag is long enough to stick out from the action making visual identification very easy to do.

The yellow chamber safety flag can be ordered from the following outfits:

Brownells has them for $4.80 for 3!

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16651

I think you will get a better price with C&R FFL.

Creedmoor Sports also has them for $1.50 each ...

www.creedmoorsports.com/C1291.html

Same here too with Champions Choice

www.championshooters.com/safety.htm

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:24:23 AM EDT
[#6]
HKocher, I'll take five of the flags.  I'll pick them up the 4th.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Guys, I didn't know people would be asking for so many...

I only have about 20 extras, plus how ever many GaryM has.

These were intended for use in longguns that will be left uncased on the benches during the shoots.  At the last shoots, I didn't see anyone with more than 2 rifles on the line, so I ordered accordingly.  If you have several rifles, and you aren't using them, leave them in the case (unloaded) and you won't need a safety flag.

So please only take ONLY as many as you need, so that there is enough for all the shooters.

*editted because I forgot the key word, ONLY
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Chris, maybe you need to limit selling one flag per shooter for starter, just to make sure everyone who shows up will have one.  Any extras can be sold later to those who want them.

Once the rifles are checked and cleared, guns w/o chamber flags should go back into the case, and the case should be zipped/latched/locked.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got off the phone with CMMG, they will be bringing extra safety flags to the shoot...

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just got off the phone with CMMG, they will be bringing extra safety flags to the shoot...

Cutter, you are Da Man ... thanks.  Also many thanks to Jeff & John from CMMG !!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the chamber flags should only be $1 each, and I think you can get them directly from the NRA.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey if you can get a better deal for a safety flag, by all means, order one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm just trying to help you save a little money, albeit very little; I've already got flags, so I guess I'll pass on your offer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#14]
!!PWI!!!!
Word! the NRA website sells them too, I am waiting for my order to arrive any day now.
I gots me 20 on the way and I am willing to sell them at cost! It came to 1.20/per including shipping but if they are going for free I might have to drop my price to compete. 0.00 each????
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm just trying to help you save a little money, albeit very little; I've already got flags, so I guess I'll pass on your offer.

I appreciate the help.  Perhaps I misunderstood you, because if you read my original post, you would have known that I had already ordered the flags.  I mistook your post to be a complaint that I was charging $2 for a flag that "should only be $1 each."  

If I misunderstood the purpose of your reply, I apologize.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey Guys,

HKocher & GaryM have gone above and beyond the call to provide ADDED Safety to our shoots...

Since it appeared that we were going to readily consume what they ordered - I put in a request for CMMG to bring extras, just to have on hand should we run out...

To be fair to HKocher & GaryM we need to let them "sell" us they ones they ordered for us...

Hell, I'm too damned lazy, so I for one appreciate that they were cost conscious and order semi-bulk quantities FOR US...

Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Where the hell did that "should" come from in my first post!?  It was suposed to say something like "you should be able to get them for $1".  I see how you misread the intent of my post, since the intent didn't get written.  [That's what happens when I type in a hurry and don't proof read.]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll definitely need at least 2 - and I'll pay whatever people need to cover their cost and hassle of getting them so lazy slobs like me don't need to.  

So if you got any left Chris, I'll take two (or three).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top