Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 7:18:57 AM EDT
I'll be traveling w/ my family for vacation to the beach in South Carolina next week...and I'm wondering how many laws will I be breaking when I CC on my person, in my car or in my rented house?

Yes I'm being lazy-not checking GCO or other good sources...dang busy at work trying to get ready to take a week off.

I could add a few smiles to convey my weak attempt at humor but I'm still serious about the situation described above.

Thanks for the help.

7mm
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#1]
SC does not have reciprocity with GA
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Just don't get caught or you might not have such a pleasant vacation
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I routinely travel through SC, and when I do, my weapon and holster get moved to my center console as soon as I near the SC state line. I put them back on when I get out of SC. I believe that this is the relevant SC section

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

-snip-

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed
trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of
the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the
presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or
proof of insurance;

As always though, verify this on your own...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I routinely travel through SC, and when I do, my weapon and holster get moved to my center console as soon as I near the SC state line. I put them back on when I get out of SC. I believe that this is the relevant SC section

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

-snip-

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed
trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of
the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the
presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or
proof of insurance;

As always though, verify this on your own...

Found the same info on a SLED site too.  Also called a couple customers I have to in SC and was told the same thing.  

So to be legal no CC for me but on the road trip I'll have mine in the center console & the wife's w/ be in the glove box.

7mm

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Would it be considdered to be carrying if your weapon has no magazine in it and the mag is kept in say a pocket or a mag holder on the weak side?  That way you would still ahve your side arm with you but it wouldnt be considdered loaded since there is no mag in it and no round in the chamber.  Is it illegal to walk around with a concealed unloaded weapon ?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe not technically illegal but extremely unwise.

Unless you are spoiling for a confrontation with LE to instigate some "letter of the law" test case.

SC has no reciprocity with GA.

ETA: Our parent company is in NC. Pisses me off that our district manager can drive south from NC to GA and carry legally all the way. But for me to drive to NC, I have to stow my weapon for the trip through SC.

It is what it is.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup, I had the same question about three years ago for travel through SC to NC so I called SC State Patrol and told them I realized that my permit was not recognized which made me an unpermitted civilian.  I asked what the terms were and was told that they were the same as Georgia's.  Glove box, seat, trunk.   One I made it to NC I was fine.  The SC troopers had obviously answered that hundreds of times and were very nice about it.  Don't rely on me, call yourself
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:17:33 AM EDT
[#8]
as said above is what i found out before i headed up to NC last thursday and got back sunday.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, you can carry in your vehicle legally.

But the OP's question concerned carrying concealed on his person. Not legal. Weapon must be in plain sight, or stowed in a closed compartment.

The "unloaded carry" is not an option, even thought it may in fact not violate any laws. If a LEO finds a weapon on your person, he/she is going to assume it is loaded and treat you accordingly, until they verify for themselves that it is not (usually while you sit, cuffed, in the back seat of the cruiser).

How this would relate to rental property I don't know. That's a whole 'nuther animal.

ETA: You can have a loaded weapon next to you on the seat, why do you need to conceal it on your person?

ETAx2: I don't do the 'plain sight' thing. Even though it's legal. in my opinion it's inviting scrutiny. I stow mine in the glove compartment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top