Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2006 6:38:01 PM EDT
I thought he was cleared a while ago.
Granted the grand jury made the correct choice but why did the DA present the case?
Sonny better find a pair and sign SB 396 to avoid this issue in the future.

Killer (WTH? how about good Citizen) of carjacker in Cobb is cleared

By DON PLUMMER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/18/06

A man who chased and fatally shot a carjacker who kidnapped an Acworth woman was cleared Monday of any criminal charges.

Cobb County grand jurors decided that Shawn T. Roberts was justified in shooting Brian Clark, District Attorney Pat Head said.

Clark, a 25-year-old convicted child molester who was not properly registered, kidnapped Kimberly Boyd on Sept. 12, forced her to withdraw money from an ATM and was pulled over and fighting with her when Roberts drove past them. As Roberts turned around, Clark pushed the woman into the car and drove off.

Roberts followed and watched as Clark turned left into the path of a cement truck, an accident that killed Boyd.

As Clark staggered from the wreck, Roberts jumped from his vehicle with a gun, and he told police he shot Clark when Clark raised his gun.

Boyd's husband, who mounted a legislative drive this year to strengthen Georgia laws on the release of convicted sex offenders, said he was "delighted" by the grand jury's decision.

"It's been a long time coming," Mike Boyd said Monday. "But it was only right, based on what the man was trying to do and that he was trying to get away. My only regret is that it didn't take place before the crash. Still, he saved the public from any further harm or injury."

Clark, who had been convicted of child molestation and statutory rape, had been released from prison three months earlier on other charges, but he wasn't in the state database for sexual offenders, as required under state law.

Because of the incident, major changes were made this year to Georgia law and administrative procedures concerning sex offenders.

A recently passed law imposes mandatory minimum 25-year sentences for violent sex offenders and lifetime GPS tracking for those determined by a professional board to be sexual predators.

Boyd said he and other family members have been invited to be present when Gov. Sonny Perdue signs House Bill 1059 into law sometime in the next week.

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
He was the guy who wouldn't STFU in front of the media.  IIRC he ran his mouth for a couple of days and said some pretty stupid things.  If he'd been in DeKalb, Fulton or Clayton he'd probably be facing charges.  

This is kind of cool, Lojack for sex offenders?  I like that.

Killer
A recently passed law imposes mandatory minimum 25-year sentences for violent sex offenders and lifetime GPS tracking for those determined by a professional board to be sexual predators.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:24:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
He was the guy who wouldn't STFU in front of the media.  IIRC he ran his mouth for a couple of days and said some pretty stupid things.  If he'd been in DeKalb, Fulton or Clayton he'd probably be facing charges.  

Killer

He did not speak that much to the media. When he did, all that he said that he was in fear for his life and did what he had to in order to protect himself and others. The guy was surpisingly humble and seemed like he had been formally trained. This should have never went anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:51:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He was the guy who wouldn't STFU in front of the media.  IIRC he ran his mouth for a couple of days few hours and said some pretty stupid things way too much.  If he'd been in DeKalb, Fulton or Clayton he'd probably be facing charges.  

Killer

He did not speak that much to the media. When he did, all that he said that he was in fear for his life and did what he had to in order to protect himself and others. The guy was surpisingly humble and seemed like he had been formally trained. This should have never went anywhere.

I remember watching him interviewed on TV, and he told the entire story start to finish.  It was a lot more than, "I was in fear for my life."  Unfortunately, I can't find the videos on any of the local channels or through Google.  Maybe somebody w/ better Google Fu can find them.

Later that night, this is what he told the media: "All I can say right now is to offer my condolences of the family of the woman," Roberts said when reached at his home Monday night in Acworth. "I'm postponing any comments just for a few days," he added, saying he was acting on legal advice.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=7394

I edited my earlier post w/in your quote.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Heard from the DA that they handled the case the same way they do whenever a police officer has to use deadly force.  They send them all to the grand jury.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#5]
i was involved in a self defense shooting in the early 80's in college park. it was presented to the grand jury who cleared it. i was told it was procedure. not sure if any shooting of any type isn't presented to the local grand jury just to dot all the i's and cross all the t's. though i never met the DA or DA's assistants the police involved in the case told me form the get go i would have no problems.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a guess..........the clearing of all charges, by a grand jury, prevents a future over zealous DA from bringing charges at a later date, since there is no statute of limitations on murder. This was just procedural.

Accountant
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i was involved in a self defense shooting in the early 80's in college park. it was presented to the grand jury who cleared it. i was told it was procedure. not sure if any shooting of any type isn't presented to the local grand jury just to dot all the i's and cross all the t's. though i never met the DA or DA's assistants the police involved in the case told me form the get go i would have no problems.

I am glad that you are ok and no charges pressed against you.

ARH

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am glad that you are ok and no charges pressed against you.

ARH

after the grand jury did a no bill there was no one left to 'press charges'... was a drug store robery by a recently released armed robber who didna make it through the night.. and i learned what it really means to have your gut go cold.... never wanna have that experience again.. and did what i had to make sure that it didnt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top