Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2004 8:12:06 AM EDT
Is it up to the Sheriff to decide when they will start taking applications and issuing permits?

I have called a couple local counties back home (MO) and was advised that the Sheriff had not made up his mind yet.

Link Posted: 4/27/2004 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Technically the Sheriffs are supposed to be taking apps now.

In reality less than half are (last time I heard).

I know mine's not. (Platte County)

I'm sending off for my FL OOS permit soon.

Shawn
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#2]
What valid excuse can they give for not taking applications now?
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Due to the language of the law that says that funds from processing the endorsement will go into the Sheriff's revolving fund for training and equipment, certain counties are stating that this does not cover processing, and is therefore an unfunded mandate, contrary to the Hancock Amendment.

In reality, they get the money, but they just want to hold it up in any way possible.  St. Louis County states that they are preparing a legal challenge to the law, even though the language to correct the law is before the House right now.  Problem is, it's moving like a herd of turtles because the Dems DO NOT want it to be corrected, and have everyone carrying.

They are just choosing to not obey the law.

The other provisions of the law are in force, i.e., carrying a firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle if a person of 21 years of age or older with no felonies.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#4]
TylerSchreck,

If you're worried about coming back to MO and  not being able to carry, it shouldn't be that big of a problem for you, that is IF you have your Florida CCW/CHL because MO honors Any carry license.. Although I would probably stay away from St. Louis county for the time being. As the Sheriff there has said he WILL arrest anyone  carrying concealed.

Quoted:
The other provisions of the law are in force, i.e., carrying a firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle if a person of 21 years of age or older with no felonies.

And kpel, Not to bust your balls or anything, but my sheriff told me (approx. 2 weeks ago) NOT to carry a loaded weapon in your car, in HIS county anyway, as you would most likely be arrested and charged if the carry law didn't exist.

Just a word of warning for others

Link Posted: 4/28/2004 5:11:19 AM EDT
[#5]
My sheriff started issuing endorsements on Monday and feels that a Browning Hi-Power under the driver's seat is an excellent choice for personal defense.  Nice guy.  Sorry for you guys in the big city.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 5:31:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Fuck St. Louis city.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 6:41:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
TylerSchreck,

If you're worried about coming back to MO and  not being able to carry, it shouldn't be that big of a problem for you, that is IF you have your Florida CCW/CHL because MO honors Any carry license.. Although I would probably stay away from St. Louis county for the time being. As the Sheriff there has said he WILL arrest anyone  carrying concealed.

Quoted:

And kpel, Not to bust your balls or anything, but my sheriff told me (approx. 2 weeks ago) NOT to carry a loaded weapon in your car, in HIS county anyway, as you would most likely be arrested and charged if the carry law didn't exist.

Just a word of warning for others

YOU are not busting my balls.  Chief Mokwa and Col. Batelle are.  They choose to not comply with the law, and harass people who are.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not worried about it as I have a FL CCW.

However, I thought it very sad that some SO's choose to NOT follow the law by not taking applications or even saying you will be arrested.

I don't know if it is just me, but I see a few cases of wrongfull arrest and so on coming down the pipe.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck St. Louis, give it to Illinois, they deserve it.

Fuck Kansas City, except for the Chiefs.  I hate the KC Star.

I never though I would say it, living in the most gun friendly place in the sate, but Fuck Springfield, Greene County was on the original four that were exempted.  Fuck 'em all, I have a PA permit.  Cost me $20. Bwhahhahahahhahaa!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#10]
In the Post Disgrace last week, they were saying that Col. Battelle is seeking legal advice on whether PA permits are legal, as PA has said that if your state has CCW, you have to give them a copy of a CCW to get one from PA.  That jibes with what Sheriff Nau wrote me when he sent my app and check back.  Of course, the letter didn't say anything about if permits already issued were valid or not.

You KNOW Col. Battelle is going to say they are not.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm still gonna assume that my AZ CCW license will be good when I come back there later this year??

BTW, my brother lives in Affton and I'll be deer hunting in Crawford County.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
In the Post Disgrace last week, they were saying that Col. Battelle is seeking legal advice on whether PA permits are legal, as PA has said that if your state has CCW, you have to give them a copy of a CCW to get one from PA.  That jibes with what Sheriff Nau wrote me when he sent my app and check back.  Of course, the letter didn't say anything about if permits already issued were valid or not.

You KNOW Col. Battelle is going to say they are not.

I have read on some other sites that people with the PA permits are getting letters from PA asking for proof of a MO permit. If you don't have the MO permit, I think, the PA permits are no good.
It's something that I would look into if I had one (a PA permit).
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#13]
PA permits are valid for five years, unless sooner revoked by certified mail.  Sherrif Nau has clarifed MANY times that any permits he issued are valid.  He did stop issuing to MO residents around 3/5

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top