Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 7/16/2008 4:03:39 PM EDT
Hi guys,

My soon to be wife and I will be heading out west for our honeymoon in a few weeks. We will be passing through/ staying in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. We should be covered permit wise for all these states since we both hold valid Minnesota and Utah permits. We are especially interested in carry in state parks, since we will be camping in state parks in WY and ID.

We could use some help finding information concerning the carry laws in your states, and leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:21:23 PM EDT
Handgunlaw.us Is a very good resource especially since www.packing.org site went down. Be sure to verify the data you find with the various states Atty Gen webpages to double check. Have fun and be safe.

HTH,

Ed
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:56:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:38:08 PM EDT
We have been contacting attorney generals, have gotten some good feedback but have also gotten some "We cannot give out legal advise" type answers from AG's. I'm finding most of the carry information from the links to gov't sites from the above posted link, though legal use of deadly force seems to be a little harder to find.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:36:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dkhntr04:
We have been contacting attorney generals, have gotten some good feedback but have also gotten some "We cannot give out legal advise" type answers from AG's. I'm finding most of the carry information from the links to gov't sites from the above posted link, though legal use of deadly force seems to be a little harder to find.

By chance did you run into that when calling the AG DCI department here in Cheyenne?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:37:47 PM EDT
In Idaho you're covered.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:51:57 PM EDT

By chance did you run into that when calling the AG DCI department here in Cheyenne?

We got that one from North Dakota.

Tonight I have 4-5 hours to get my info, and print it out. I will post anymore questions I have, and thanks again.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:21:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 7:32:02 PM EDT by dkhntr04]
Well, It did take a few hours, but it looks like I have a handle on it. So far it appears if I use my deadly force guidelines from MN, I should be legal if it come to that- which I certainly do not want it to and will avoid at all costs. There are a few holes I can't seem to cover, either because I can't find them, or your state governments haven't trampled on the rights. The biggest holes are as follows:

Open Carry Laws- ID MT WY- Not finding any info on official sites, but pro-open carry sites say OK.

ID- Prohibited Locations, Use of deadly force

WY- Use of deadly force, Carry on the Wind River Indian Reservation.

I did find out that carry in WY state parks is legal, but ID must be unloaded and out of sight.

I don't want to be an info whore, so I'd be happy to share links to what I have found, just let me know what you are looking for and i'll post what I got.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:31:35 PM EDT
open carry in mt is ok. carry in state parks is ok, but (obviously) national parks, such as glacier, are a no no.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:03:38 AM EDT
The reason you might have trouble finding the open carry laws, is because there probably isn't any. Usually open carry is legal because there is no law restricted, unlike CCW which is generally illegal, with exemptions for permit holders.

Open carry is legal in all those states ( WY, MT , ID )

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:24:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 5:27:05 PM EDT by Hanzerik]

Originally Posted By glock21guy:
The reason you might have trouble finding the open carry laws, is because there probably isn't any. Usually open carry is legal because there is no law restricted, unlike CCW which is generally illegal, with exemptions for permit holders.

Open carry is legal in all those states ( WY, MT , ID )

Yep, I have yet to find a law/statute against OC for Wyoming.

Wyoming Constitution Section on Bearing Arms:

97-1-024 Right to bear arms.

The right of citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the state shall not be denied.

Page Hometown » Utah
Top Top