Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 6:43:55 PM EDT
I'm looking for a smaller carry handgun in 9mm. I've been looking at the Kahr PM9, and the Kel-tec P11. I can't find anyone that has a P11 in stock.  I need some opinions on how these 2 shoot.  My usual carry  piece is a XD9 4", or a glock17. Is the Kahr worth the extra money?

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was on patrol, I would  carry a PM9 every day at work, either on my boot or on my vest.  It's a great gun!  On traffic stops, I would carry it in the left hand warmer pocket of my jacket.  I could keep my left hand on it inside the coat and keep my dominant hand free.  I could then conduct business and keep a gun pointed at the driver's head without anyone knowing the difference!

And I'll buy that XD from you.  Just say the word.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the offer, but I'm definately not letting go of the XD.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If you like the XD, how about the 3" version?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:48:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I looked at the XD-sub, but I want something a little smaller. I've been comparing the XD-sub to the pm9, and the dimensions show the pm9 to be alot smaller. I do like the ammo capacity of the XD.

Maybe SA will come out with a single-stack 9mm, about 3/4" shorter than the XD-sub.(Wishful thinking!!)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:59:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I looked at the XD-sub, but I want something a little smaller. I've been comparing the XD-sub to the pm9, and the dimensions show the pm9 to be alot smaller. I do like the ammo capacity of the XD.

Maybe SA will come out with a single-stack 9mm, about 3/4" shorter than the XD-sub.(Wishful thinking!!)

Yeah, it is a little thick.  I have heard good things about Kahr
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:46:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a S&W 642 for those days when my G26 is too big for whatever reason.  I looked at the Kahrs, but didnt like the price or reliability reports of the polymer versions
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#7]
pdmcghinnis:  what caused you to point your weapon at the drivers head?  just curious.  

yep on the PM9 - good pistol.  a little pricey but Kahr stuff is good to go.

i usually carry a Glock 26  and an extra mag or sometimes my Colt 1991A1 compact and an extra mag.

in summer, i carry my P32 Keltec w/ extra mag a lot.  shorts, t-shirts, etc.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I could then conduct business and keep a gun pointed at the driver's head without anyone knowing the difference!

Please tell me you're kidding.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok.  I'm kidding.

Actually, when you do a stop on a car filled with four thugs, the tag has a CAD history of being involved in a drug related shooting and you're stopped on a secondary street in the projects, you do what you can to get home.

I'm not removing the driver's ear wax with my front sight nor do I wave the firearm around in an intimidating manner.  My hand is on the firearm to orient it in an upright position and (hopefully)give me that extra moment to react should the bad guy attempt to murder me.  My hope is that I will be able to return fire more quickly, thereby greatly stressing the driver  in an attempt to disrupt his OODA cycle so that I can get into a position of power, present my primary sidearm and, if necessary, fight my way to a bigger gun or get to a position of cover/scream for help so that I can take control of the situation.

The weapon remains concealed at all times so as not to scare or intimidate the driver/passengers or any others witnessing the stop.  My hand could just as easily be on a digital audio recorder, and often is.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#10]
When it comes to carry guns I am like a woman, I switch all the time! That said last summer i picked up a S&W 642 and have used it as a lightweight carry gun ever since. In the winter or if I am able to conceal something on my belt I carry something larger but if it is in my pocket the 642 has replaced my Kel-Tec P32 and my .357 640 as a pocket pistol.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:13:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Another Kahr fan here....I went to their armorers school a few years ago on a whim, just to take a break and get away for a few days (yes to Worcester Mass- The party Meca of the east coast. I know, I don't have very high expectations). Turned out to be a great time, I learned a lot, met some nice folks, and after touring the facility and seeing how well the guns are made I really developed an affinity for them.

I also like the trigger pull on them. If you've never tried one, do yourself a favor and get to a gun shop that will let you finger-fornicate their guns and dry fire one a couple of times. The trigger is kinda long, but very smooth, especially for a semi-auto with a "striker release" type of trigger.

I personally prefer the full size polymer guns, they are a little taller and longer than a sub-compact Glock, but are much easier for me to shoot than the Micro series. I have big mits, though, so your results may vary.

As far as the cost is concerned, you can get them relatively cheap  on Gun Broker. I've seen the PM series with night sights go for around $400 or so (used, of course).
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#12]
FWIW, Glock 19, a good IWB holster, an extra mag.  Once those are acquired, go get some training.  Most people forget that when the heat is on, fingers turn to flippers and handguns that are roughly the size of a G26 are hard to control due primarily to the reduced grip .  A G19 is a good midground both for size AND reliability.  It provides enough surface to grip while you're under stress and isn't so big that you feel like you're carrying a brick on your side while you are out among the sheeple.  

I carry a G19 daily because of the size issue and also because it's a reliable/comfortable gun.

My .02 only..........  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:55:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I already have a G19 sized gun. The XD service is roughly the same size, with (my opinion) a better grip angle. I'm really leaning towards the pm9 or mk9. Do they still make the mk9?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#14]
It looks like Kel-tec is making it easy for me. They introduced the pf-9 Today at the shot show.

http://www.kel-tec.com/pf9pr.htm
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I carry a Glock 27 as my constant companion, and love the fact that I can carry one of my duty mags as a reload.  Something to consider since you already have a glock.  I have no experience with the Kahr or Kel-Tec, but both are popular BUG in my dept.

-Hershey
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I decided to pick up a Kahr. I got a MK9 from PDHSC.  Shot 75 rounds without a hiccup. Beautiful trigger pull, for a DA pistol.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and opinions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top