Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/8/2011 9:16:04 AM EDT
I was at gander mountain in Joliet today and they had a UT ccw course there today. It reminded me my FL ccw expires later this year. Any more ccw classes coming up? UT or FL are probably the best.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 10:21:13 AM EDT
Nate, You can renew your Florida CCW permit without taking another class. I don't know about the class you saw at Gander, but the guy who does quite a few of them around here is named Paul Horvich. I'm sure you can find him if you Google his name.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 11:57:36 AM EDT
Not a CCW class but rather a class to teach you how to stay out of jail should you ever have to use deadly force, Massad Ayoob will be teaching his "MAG-20" classroom portion in a weekend in April. I am trying to get him to extend the class to make it a MAG-40 with live fire.
www.massadayoobgroup.com

Send me a PM if you are interested in live fire. The more interest I can show the more likely I can make it happen.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 12:59:33 PM EDT
Did you happen to see when their next class was going to be?
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 7:32:01 PM EDT
Thanks,

I'll look into the renewal process.

It was these guys:

http://www.firearmsafetygroup.com/

They have several more courses coming up, but not at Joliet for a while.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:05:54 AM EDT
I do classes in many areas of Illinois. Most of them are "hosted" locally (meaning that I do the class in your community.)

If interested in setting up a class (the host is always free!), just send me a note.

Remember, Utah is classroom only and could be held "anywhere" there is space to meet; Florida generally requires a range component.

Note that you can apply to Florida "today" without any class if...

1. you have a State issued Hunter Safety certificate
2. you have taken an NRA course that included live fire (i.e., a class like Basic Pistol or First Steps/Pistol)
3. you have taken any general class on handgun use that included live fire if the class was taught by an NRA instructor
4. you have DD214

Paul Horvick
http://shootingsafely.com

paul@shootingsafely.com

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:19:35 AM EDT
Feb 26, 2011.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/storelocator.cgi?r=storeEvent&storeID=287&EventID=29541

I think I am just going to renew my FL. Hopefully they send me the packet.

Thanks, Paul. I took your class at the town hall by Buffalo range a few years back.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:02:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By phorvick:
I do classes in many areas of Illinois. Most of them are "hosted" locally (meaning that I do the class in your community.)

If interested in setting up a class (the host is always free!), just send me a note.

Remember, Utah is classroom only and could be held "anywhere" there is space to meet; Florida generally requires a range component.

2. you have taken an NRA course that included live fire (i.e., a class like Basic Pistol or First Steps/Pistol)
3. you have taken any general class on handgun use that included live fire if the class was taught by an NRA instructor
4. you have DD214

Paul Horvick

paul@shootingsafely.com

If one is already an NRA pistol instructor, I would presume that it would also make one eligible as well, but where are all these exceptions listed on FL's CCW website?

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:37:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DocT:
Originally Posted By phorvick:

4. you have DD214

Paul Horvick

paul@shootingsafely.com

If one is already an NRA pistol instructor, I would presume that it would also make one eligible as well, but where are all these exceptions listed on FL's CCW website?

Not sure if you find it on their website except via link to their statute. Here is the statutory language:

––-
(h)Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1.Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2.Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3.Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4.Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5.Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6.Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7.Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

Top Top