Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 6:58:44 PM EDT
What is the class like? Coming from Miami, FL the course I took for my CCW almost 10 years ago ran for about an hour. It reminded me of being in a driving school class. You did your time, paid your fees and received your laminated, color photo, driver license like ID card in about 60 days.

My local gun shop offers the class but I was told it goes from 9am to 4pm!

I know NC and FL share reciprocity but I was not able to simply obtain a NC CCW permit without pasing NC's class. So much for reciprocity

Gunzer

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Reporcoity is designed for the person traveling through other states, not for people that move and establish a residence in a new state.

The course itself is a joke. Generally its blocks on where you can and cant carry, when you can and cant use lethal force, and a very small shooting portion. Think it is only mandated as being an 8 hour class. What is covered (in what depth) varies depending on who is teaching.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:30:24 AM EDT
[#2]
It is pretty much an all day event.  You spend most of your time in the class room, watching various videos about concealed carry laws, gun safety and watch a few examples of when/ when not to "draw down" as it were.  Take a test...  Then out to the range for a few demonstrations... and a short timed test.  There's not much emphasis on accuracy... it's mostly about safety and as long as you hit *somewhere* on the paper target you're doin' good.  The shooting is all close range, 3 yards... I think maybe out to 15 yards.  About 30-40 rounds.  Once you pass you get finger printed at the county public safety center... ($10 wake county) and then pay another $80 for your application.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:34:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I know NC and FL share reciprocity but I was not able to simply obtain a NC CCW permit without pasing NC's class. So much for reciprocity

Gunzer

Actually... this is probably because the law is so very different here and you'll be learning about NC's laws... more than anything else in the class.  For example, the no retreat law is different here than in Florida.  So I can see why it'd be necessary to take the class here.  Applying Florida's laws here could possibly land you in hot water.  Now if you don't have to pay the application fee again THAT would be nice, huh?  

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone have a good suggestion about where/who to get the class from?  I'm out here in the Winston Salem area and haven't come across anything yet.  I'm in a similar situation to Gunzer, 'cept I'm here from Utah.  

Thanks ahead of time,

--Steve
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#6]
+1

Thanks!

-Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top