Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 4:00:52 PM EDT
Has anyone here tried applying for a CCW? Anyone in Orange County? what have been the outcomes?

Rayn
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
it's easier in o.c. than l.a. to get one.
ya have to prove certain criterias, i beleive.

meat
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]
SB County is easy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Central Valley is easy also
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]
sb county is easy? where do i sign up?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:49:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
sb county is easy? where do i sign up?

do you live in San Bernardino county?

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
i do live in sb county, hate to hijack the thread but i'd happily receive any info you got on gettin started on a ccw
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#7]
If you live in SB go to the Sherrif's office and apply.  They will check your residency, but from what I understand, if it all checks out you will get your CCW once you complete the process.  Good luck.

Regarding OC.  They will ask for good cause.  And it will need to be documented.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't worry about hi-jacking the thread. I got my answers I think. Get a CCW for me will ya? :P I might apply here in OC, but I don't know if I can come up with a good enough reason. What kind of reasons have you guys given? I live in Irvine where crime is about as common as flying pigs. but I work in Fullerton, and areas I pass through to get there make me worried sometimes. Is the area you work or live a good reason? Or does there have to be more that can put you life in danger?

Rayn

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Any first hand experience with Riverside County would be appreciated also.
- Mike
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#10]
do u own a business? or work the last shift?

A really good excuse is carrying sums of money after u close up shop, and need to take the money to the bank drop off deposit. Stuff like that usually holds up really well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Are these conditional and/or restricted use permits?  I have seen some issued for use only while carrying money or goods, only during certain hours, or only in certain places/ cities/ counties/ etc.

I couldn't get one in San Diego County.  I moved.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Are these conditional and/or restricted use permits?  I have seen some issued for use only while carrying money or goods, only during certain hours, or only in certain places/ cities/ counties/ etc.

I couldn't get one in San Diego County.  I moved.

good through-out the state expect federal buildings, courthouses, etc.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i do live in sb county, hate to hijack the thread but i'd happily receive any info you got on gettin started on a ccw

what area of SB county? This will help out considerably.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I do work late sometimes. That might count for something. I never carry money for the company. but I do have clearance and have access to classified information which may put my life in danger. Does that sound reasonable? I will give it a shot in a month and see what happens.

Rayn
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#15]
i live in north east san bernardino. i'm kinda in the butt crack between highland and san bernardino as my house is in neither city limits.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i live in north east san bernardino. i'm kinda in the butt crack between highland and san bernardino as my house is in neither city limits.

Go down to central station on 3rd st, where you'll do your interview and submit your application, and pick up an application.

Follow the directions closely on the application and good luck.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I do work late sometimes. That might count for something. I never carry money for the company. but I do have clearance and have access to classified information which may put my life in danger. Does that sound reasonable? I will give it a shot in a month and see what happens.

Rayn

In OC, they'll probably ask you to produce a letterhead, signed statement from your employers verfiying the above information and also stating that they believe that the information you cary would make you a likely target for a robbery attempt.

I know one individual that got their OC CCW by stating and DOCUMENTING that they are a frequent competitor and practice on a regular basis and, therefore, constantly transporting their firearms and do not want to be robbed or have their guns stolen.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Madera County is the only place in the CV area I know of that would grant them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Madera County is the only place in the CV area I know of that would grant them.

Fresno isnt really easy but not impossible.
Tulare/Kings/Kern counties are easy to get one. Myself and 4 freiends each got our CCW when we turned 21
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:29:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Last I heard there was only about 2,000 permits TOTAL in all of California. I have heard they basically go to state officers who are not issued pistols, like an officer who deals solely with Fraud, and people who handle LARGE sums of money on a regular basis. Things like handling gem deliveries at jewelry stores or payroll deposits for a large company. I have also heard that even then it is hard to get it.

You need several things also. Recommendations from several neighbors, proof of residency, detailed portfolio of all confrontations with police, etc. They really don't mess around with them, and something like "I feel unsafe in my neighborhood" won't get it.

Remember, it is legal to carry a weapon openly on a hip holster, so you have to prove that you NEED to have one hidden. The whole process costs almost $300 after classes and fees, and another $50 or so each year to renew it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I know two people who have them in San Diego.  One is an accountant who used to carry large amounts of cash for a retail business.  He was robbed once and then got the permit.  The other is a private security guard.  He lives in the county, not the city.  His permit process took more than a year.

It's ridiculous that you can get one in some counties but not others.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#22]
If you are in the coast guard and in SD you can get one.

My friend said the reason used is that they do ALOT of customs work and sending back illegals and since SD is so close to the border theres a high chance of running into someone you busted. He says no one he knows stationed in San Diego that has applied for one has been denied yet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep, San Bernardino is basically a "Shall Issue" county. I have a couple friends with CCW. Process was real smooth and easy. As long as you have a clean history, should be good to go.

Your supposed to go through your local PD first, before trying to go through the Sheriff Dept. If you get rejected by your local Police dept in SB county, get it in writing. Then you can go directly to the SB Sheriffs Dept to fill out a CCW Application form. Personnel at the SD was really helpful with all my questions.

I'm in an unincorporated area of my city, so I don't have to worry about getting a rejection letter from the PD. I haven't turned my paperwork in yet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#24]
According CA law, they can force you to take a mental examination, if they wish, before they issue you your permit. You have to pay for the exam. However, they can only require you to get a mental exam if they do so for everyone who applies for a CCW in that county. They cannot discriminate; it has to be a uniform process for everyone. But still, a county can require all person applying for a CCW pay for a psychological exam. California is fucking loony. I'm glad I moved to a free state that is a shall issue state.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Wait.

I am in Yucaipa, on the edge of San Bernardino County. San Bernardino county is shall issue, if I'm not mistaken. So that means if they can not find evidence that I would be a danger, they HAVE to give it to me?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#26]
i dont think there is such a thing as an offical "shall issue" in California.

Its just that some people in CA still believe that self defence is a right and will make sure people are able to exercise that right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top