Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2009 8:05:08 AM EDT
Was just curious if you can carry into restraunts with bars as long as you do not drink, or into a bar itself. Not that I would carry into a bar but  what about the restraunts. Do any of you guys know the legality of the situation would be. Your imput would be useful thanks.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Completely legal in Colorado to carry in bars or restaurants.  In fact, you can even drink (though not advised) while carrying.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#2]
You can carry in bars in CO, and I do. I am even know to have a beer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Completely legal in Colorado to carry in bars or restaurants.  In fact, you can even drink (though not advised) while carrying.  

Thats a fine line though....CRS 18-12-103(1)(d) Prohibited Use of a Firearm states its a class 2 misdemeanor if the person has in their possession a firearm while the person is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance.

They leave it vague to the give the officer / prosecutor discretion on how and when to use it. It could mean 2 beers or 20.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Even the smell of alcohol can be P/C for the deputy to pull the CCW, confiscate the weapon and arrest.

Alcohol and CCW does NOT mix in CO.

You can carry in bars/restaurants, but do not recommend consuming...
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a fine line though....CRS 18-12-103(1)(d) Prohibited Use of a Firearm states its a class 2 misdemeanor if the person has in their possession a firearm while the person is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance.

They leave it vague to the give the officer / prosecutor discretion on how and when to use it. It could mean 2 beers or 20.

Nods, which is why I don't recommend drinking and carrying.  The law is EXTREMELY vague on what's considered "intoxication" in regards to carrying.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nods, which is why I don't recommend drinking and carrying.  The law is EXTREMELY vague on what's considered "intoxication" in regards to carrying.

I use DWAI/DUI as my measuring stick. DWAI starts at a BAC of .05%, and I am certain that one beer doesn't put me over that limit. While the carry law is vague, I feel comfortable having a beer while carrying.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I will have a drink with dinner but no more. It really does not take much at all to be at 0.05.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I will have a beer or glass of wine with dinner and also CCW.  I am in aggreement with thelastgunslinger
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]
My understanding of the law is you can carry where ever you want as long as it is not posted "No weapons" or something along those lines.  You can technically carry at a school as long as there is no sign stating it.  So to answer your question yes but I would not recommend it!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My understanding of the law is you can carry where ever you want as long as it is not posted "No weapons" or something along those lines.  You can technically carry at a school as long as there is no sign stating it.  So to answer your question yes but I would not recommend it!

Negative on that one man.

CRS 18-12-214 (1)(a) - A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permitee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state except as specifically limited in section...
(3) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or any improvements erected thereon a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school except that; (Makes exceptions for gun in vehicles [like for picking up dropping off kids])

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can technically carry at a school as long as there is no sign stating it.  

Sorry but that's wrong.  (unless you're referring to colleges or universities)

CRS 18-12-214, section 3A

(3) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school

ETA: Beat to the punch
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]
sorry guys I did mean college/university LOL it would take some balls to carry at k-12
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can technically carry at a school as long as there is no sign stating it.  

Sorry but that's wrong.  (unless you're referring to colleges or universities)

CRS 18-12-214, section 3A

(3) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school

ETA: Beat to the punch

Glad you posted it too.

I would hate to see someone, in good faith, carry into a school and get jammed up for it because they thought they were legal.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top