Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 12:27:14 AM EDT
I know this might be a stupid question but, exactly how hard is it to obtain a ccw in San Diego?  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Packing.org has some very good information on this subject:
www.packing.org/state/california/
There is a county map outlining the difficult areas to get LTCs and the counties are listed seperatly with a short bit of text describing the conditions.  Check it out.

Brian
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  Also, I was wondering if any body here have any experiences they would like to share in trying to obtain a ccw?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to have a reason but LE in san diego have a good relationship with the business owners.  In my cases its owning a business and cash.

LOts of BS though, test/class , Fees have been raised and a shooting test
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I got out of the SO's office, you basically have to justify with a good reason for needing one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]
It's been about ten years but my neighbor who owned a gas station applied for a ccw since he had large amounts of cash that he would have to "transport" to his bank (in order to make a deposit).  San Diego turned him down.  Keep in mind he was also retired Coast Gaurd with no criminal record.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Sound like I have a easier time converting Hillary to pro gun than getting a CCW Here in SD.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sound like I have a easier time converting Hillary to pro gun than getting a CCW Here in SD.

Do you have any reasons, maybe we could help you adjust the facts I have 3 family members with CCW's here and offhand I know 4 buddies. All of them own their own businesses or have rental property.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
The fact they have rental property strikes me as interesting.  Do they "justify" carrying since they are in a potentially dangerous situation showing rental properties to unknown, potential tenants.  I am not trying to be sarcastic, but I know you really have to show the reason you need to carry.  I own a rental and would certainly love to have a ccw.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey if you do anything that has shown to be a successful justification  reason for issue in the past, that's a good place to start.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The fact they have rental property strikes me as interesting.  Do they "justify" carrying since they are in a potentially dangerous situation showing rental properties to unknown, potential tenants.  I am not trying to be sarcastic, but I know you really have to show the reason you need to carry.  I own a rental and would certainly love to have a ccw.

Try saying you carry large sums of cash... worth a try
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I've heard Sheriff Kolendar is looking to "tighten up" on CCW issuance.  As if it wasn't "tight" enough already.

Basically, in San Diego County, you need to show a "business" need.  "I carry large amounts of cash at night in dangerous neighborhoods" won't cut it.  "In the course of my business, I carry large amounts of cash at night in bad neighborhoods" might.  I'm told they will ask for a fictitious business name paperwork and/or maybe a business license if you claim to be self-employed, or a letter from your employer if not.

There is (supposedly) another factor... join the San Diego County Honorary Deputy Sheriffs' Association.  I've heard a muttered theory that joining might pave the way at least somewhat.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Our current Sheriff is not gun friendly.  They make the process hard on purpose to deter all but the most committed persons.  

They will only issue a CCW for "business related" reasons.  

It really helps if you know someone that knows someone...  

References from law enforcement are always good (assuming they are good references he
They have issued restricted permits that specify only in SD county, or only certain times of the day, or only performing certain duties (going to the bank).

It is a royal PITA.  I have several friends that have been successful in getting their CCW's in SD, and a couple that were not.

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I live in the city of San Diego.  My neighbor over the fence, an accountant, has a CCW.  He got it after getting robbed in National City, of business cash.

He is in a different line of work now but keeps renewing his permit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top