Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2011 7:02:50 PM EDT
What if you send your renewal application in months before your permit retires and they still do not get your renewal to you by the time your permit's expiration date?  Suck it up and pound the phone and not carry until it arrives, or will my permit roll on until they send me my new one provided I have proof of application and deposit of my renewal check.

Thanks in advance for guidance.

Bill P
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:17:32 PM EDT
OC.

Expired is expired.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:13:17 AM EDT
They still have only 45 days to process a renewal.  If they have not given you your permit in 45 days you need to go back to the court house and get a certified copy of your application to use as a temporary permit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:45:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By VaFish:
They still have only 45 days to process a renewal.  If they have not given you your permit in 45 days you need to go back to the court house and get a certified copy of your application to use as a temporary permit.

this... carry documentation that you submitted the application; that they took your $ and your old permit.

Thats how I would roll. I did a change of address and it only took them about 2 weeks to get me my new permit, what county you in? Im in Prince William
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:45:47 AM EDT
You must have an actual permit and proper photo id with you to carry concealed. A receipt showing that you paid for the renewal, etc is not good enough.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:17:44 AM EDT
Sorry Sgt but, according to the code you are wrong. A certified copy of the app from the court clerk and proper ID does work if the court has gone beyond there allowed 45 days.

CCW Code
This is from the bottom of Section D:

If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection H, until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:35:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2011 10:36:00 AM EDT by mylt1]
Originally Posted By hydroranger:
What if you send your renewal application in months before your permit retires and they still do not get your renewal to you by the time your permit's expiration date?  Suck it up and pound the phone and not carry until it arrives, or will my permit roll on until they send me my new one provided I have proof of application and deposit of my renewal check.

Thanks in advance for guidance.

Bill P

my COCC wouldnt allow me to renew months before. i dropped in one day because i didnt know when i would get back in there and she said the COCC wouldnt sign them unless you were going to expire in less than 60 days. i went back with 45 days left and had my new permit 5 days later.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:59:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rookie421:
Sorry Sgt but, according to the code you are wrong. A certified copy of the app from the court clerk and proper ID does work if the court has gone beyond there allowed 45 days.

CCW Code

If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection H, until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified.

First oif all, I'm never wrong...just ask my wife.

Secondly, I don't believe that your response answers the OP's question. Maybe I misunderstood his question:

What if you send your renewal application in months before your permit retires and they still do not get your renewal to you by the time your permit's expiration date? Suck it up and pound the phone and not carry until it arrives, or will my permit roll on until they send me my new one provided I have proof of application and deposit of my renewal check.    

If the OP is asking if his expired permit will continue to be vald as long as he has a copy of his application and cancelled check, then I say no. He would need the "certified application" that the clerk would have to send to him and that document then serves as the de facto permit. The old expired permit would not "roll on". The new certified de facto permit would be issued and would be valid for 90 days.

Perhaps the OP can clarify his question a bit more.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:12:25 AM EDT
My Permit is Taking More Than 45 Days!

A VCDL supported law went into effect on July 1st, 2004 which provides that if the court has not issued or denied the permit within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification.

If you are having a problem with getting your permit or de facto permit, the Circuit Courts in Virginia are supervised by the Chief Justice of the Virginia Supreme Court and he has expressed concerns about the way the various Circuit Courts have been flagrantly violating the law. It is strongly suggested that you complain directly to him. Be polite and provide as much detail as possible - names, dates, comments made by officials, documents provided by officials, etc.:

Chief Justice
Supreme Court of Virginia
100 North Ninth Street, Fifth Floor
Richmond, VA 23219
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:44:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GlockSergeant:
Originally Posted By rookie421:

CCW Code

First oif all, I'm never wrong...just ask my wife.

Secondly, I don't believe that your response answers the OP's question. Maybe I misunderstood his question:

What if you send your renewal application in months before your permit retires and they still do not get your renewal to you by the time your permit's expiration date? Suck it up and pound the phone and not carry until it arrives, or will my permit roll on until they send me my new one provided I have proof of application and deposit of my renewal check.    

If the OP is asking if his expired permit will continue to be vald as long as he has a copy of his application and cancelled check, then I say no. He would need the "certified application" that the clerk would have to send to him and that document then serves as the de facto permit. The old expired permit would not "roll on". The new certified de facto permit would be issued and would be valid for 90 days.

Perhaps the OP can clarify his question a bit more.

I see your wife and my girlfriend are related as I am never wrong either

I believe my answer did answer the OP's question. He asked if his permit and application w/proof of payment would be a valid permit. Since you don't keep a copy of the application, you would need to get a copy from the court clerk, they would issue a certified copy. That copy with a valid ID would work, no proof of payment is needed.

Unless I am totally misunderstanding something here, that answers his question.

At this point, I agree the OP needs to chime in and let us know if we answered his question or not.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 3:27:47 PM EDT
Also... submit your renewal in the window 180 to 90 days prior to expiration. When you do this, your renewal will be issued with the same effective date that your existing permit expires. Renewals submitted with less than 90 days before expiration take effect on whatever date the judge signs them... so if your county is on top of things, you could cheat yourself out of a few weeks that you've already paid for.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:57:06 PM EDT
This may be a little off topic but I am on my first CHP and have two years left before it expires. My question is: Do I have to go through the same process of showing my DD214, filling out all of the proper forms, Sheriff's Department Back ground check etc.? Or do I just have to fill out the paperwork and submit it to the County Clerk? This wouldn't be a problem for me, but my wife's CHP expires at the same time as mine but we can't find her certificate from her class. The reason I ask is because I have read the regs and they are a bit confusing on the re-application process.

Thread Hijack complete. Thanks OP
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:11:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jsucraig:
This may be a little off topic but I am on my first CHP and have two years left before it expires. My question is: Do I have to go through the same process of showing my DD214, filling out all of the proper forms, Sheriff's Department Back ground check etc.? Or do I just have to fill out the paperwork and submit it to the County Clerk? This wouldn't be a problem for me, but my wife's CHP expires at the same time as mine but we can't find her certificate from her class. The reason I ask is because I have read the regs and they are a bit confusing on the re-application process.

To renew you only need to fill out another application and pay the permit fee. No more classes, certificates, fingerprints, etc.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:28:18 PM EDT

To renew you only need to fill out another application and pay the permit fee. No more classes, certificates, fingerprints, etc.

Thanks GlockSergeant. That's what I thought but couldn't get conformation. I'm guessing that pistol on your Member makes you a pretty 'credible source'.

Once again thanks for the hijack OP.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:40:36 PM EDT

I'm guessing that pistol on your Member makes you a pretty 'credible source'.

How did you know that I had a little pistol on my member?  
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:09:56 AM EDT

That post looked right last night when I typed it. Now... not so much.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:30:02 AM EDT
I never noticed those before what dies the little pistol and tanks mean?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:11:23 AM EDT
If you hover over them, the pistol comes up as Instructor and the tank Military.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:17:17 PM EDT

That post looked right last night when I typed it. Now... not so much.

Yeah yeah, likely story!  
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:47:40 PM EDT
Got my renewal in the mail today.  Took about 3 weeks in VA Beach.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:23:06 PM EDT
thanks to all for the great info.  to followup .... my permit is in arlington co in nova and i called the court to today to check on its progress,  seems they recorded it in early april after receiving the renewal request in early march but had not been processed.  gentleman i was talking to was extrememly helpful, even contacted the person responsible for it to make sure it was expedited by the end of next week when my original permit expires.  gave me his name and personal office number to follow up with in case i had not received it in time.  so, i am hopeful all will go well.

bill p
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:16:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hydroranger:

thanks to all for the great info.  to followup .... my permit is in arlington co in nova and i called the court to today to check on its progress,  seems they recorded it in early april after receiving the renewal request in early march but had not been processed.  gentleman i was talking to was extrememly helpful, even contacted the person responsible for it to make sure it was expedited by the end of next week when my original permit expires.  gave me his name and personal office number to follow up with in case i had not received it in time.  so, i am hopeful all will go well.

bill p

Yup.  

Standard practice for Arlington County.

I used to believe it was incompetence.  Now I believe it's purposive.  The staff at the Clerk's Office are all friendly and helpful.  While not doing their job in a timely manner.

According to what I've read here –– and experienced myself –– they seem to never process renewals in a timely manner.  Every extra trip to their office is the applicant's wasted time ... and another opportunity to write up a parking ticket.

Top Top