Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2005 7:58:20 AM EDT
Check the following link for AZ DPS' take on their implementation of the new laws effecting CCW permits and other firearms issues ...

DPS CCW Updates Web Page

In a nutshell, they are saying that HB2325 will go into effect on 8/11, and that it will not be retroactive. In other words, any permits issued before that day will still expire on the date printed on them, and will not be extended an extra year. Same for classes taken before that day, they will still be required to be 16 hours for an initial class and 4 hours for a renewal. After that day they will go to 8 and 2.

Check the link for more info ...
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 8:08:10 AM EDT
Cool! Prebans and I will have to plan a CCW Renewal Party...Kind of like the AWB party without the booze and we'll actually get to shoot!!!!...

Az_Redneck
CCW Instructor

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:38:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Az_Redneck:
Cool! Prebans and I will have to plan a CCW Renewal Party...Kind of like the AWB party without the booze and we'll actually get to shoot!!!!...

Az_Redneck
CCW Instructor

LMAO!

I really hope they don't keep in the "this is a SINGLE ACTION..." stuff and expect us to toss out the legal aspects...

Mike
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 3:30:00 PM EDT
The new law has a provision where a person won't be charged if they are caught carrying without a permit on them - as long as they are actually a valid permit holder.

Does anyone know if it would be acceptable to carry a photocopy of the CCW permit instead of the actual card - now or when the new law takes effect?

Would that suffice - or would a LEO (or judge) determine that, technically, it isn't a permit. (I hope I'm making sense here. I assume the law states that you must carry a permit, not "a permit or a facsimile thereof.")

The reason I ask: I carry in a fanny pack while riding my bike. Rather than carry my driver's license and CCW in the pack where they will possibly get sweaty, I'd prefer to carry a color photocopy of those two pieces of ID. Plus, switching the IDs back and forths from my pants pocket into the pack increases the possibility that I'll leave them in one or the other. I wear gym shorts on the bike so that's why I ain't carrying the cards in the pocket while riding.

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:01:42 PM EDT
Nope..It's just like your drivers license. You MUST have it in your possession while operating a motor vehicle just as you must have your CCW when carrying concealed..You can't carry a xerox copy of your drivers license. And, if you forget your DL at home, you are issued a citation and then you have to show it to the judge in traffic court. Same concept here..Carry it with you...

Mike - I have a feeling all the "single action" stuff will go away as well as the 3-4 movies I show during the 16 hours...

Law might be 2-3 hours and we won't have to go over what a "homicide" is...

I'm eager to find out...

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:28:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Az_Redneck:
Nope..It's just like your drivers license. You MUST have it in your possession while operating a motor vehicle just as you must have your CCW when carrying concealed..You can't carry a xerox copy of your drivers license. And, if you forget your DL at home, you are issued a citation and then you have to show it to the judge in traffic court. Same concept here..Carry it with you...

Thanks!

I guess I already knew what the answer would be but I was hoping for special dispensation for absent-minded (and/or lazy) people like me.
Top Top