Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2013 3:54:23 PM EDT
I have been a CCDW Instructor in KY for 16 yrs. , I don't know it all and I don't argue ( too old and hopefully too wise ). Just had a person tell me since he had pistol training in the military he was exempt from the CCDW class in Kentucky. If that is true ( I read the CCDW regs. on the KSP website), how will he know the KRS's for Kentucky, the rules and regulations? Seems that if this lack of training is true, the liability would be great for both the Commonwealth and the military person with a CCDW and no classroom training. Let me hear from those of you that are instructors with knowledge of this.
BravoCharlie
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Couldn't he just read the KRSs regarding CCDW?
They're all online now.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:19:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Makes you wonder why we have a CCDW course. Just let them read it on line and then we watch them shoot, or better yet they video themselves shooting on an I-phone and send it in. Just thinking out loud, sorry couldn't resist. I have had high ranking law enforcement folks sit in on my classes and then tell me they learned a ton of information they previously thought they knew.
BravoCharlie
Retired Educator/Administrator
Spec. Deputy
Mercer County Sheriffs Office
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I suspect these new forms that documents military handgun training will cause confusion to CCDW folks in richmond.

Heck, I can't even verify if they're real or not.

What I tell military members is you could risk a longer wait time due to confusion of these new documents being submitted.

20 rounds takes much less time...plus, who doesn't want to shoot??
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suspect these new forms that documents military handgun training will cause confusion to CCDW folks in richmond.

Heck, I can't even verify if they're real or not.

What I tell military members is you could risk a longer wait time due to confusion of these new documents being submitted.

20 rounds takes much less time...plus, who doesn't want to shoot??
View Quote

It's also worth knowing what the use of force laws are so if, god forbid, you get into a self defense situation you at least have some idea of what your legal obligations are.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:09:59 AM EDT
[#8]
So, if I understand this right, they don't have to take the CCDW course period? They just submit their papers to DOCJT, get there confirmation and then apply to their local sheriffs office.I emailed DOCJT, but have not received an answer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:31:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is what the state police site says about it.  http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

Active and discharged service members that meet either of the following criteria are entitled to a training waiver:

1. Any current or retired military peace officer of the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Air Force, or a reserve component thereof, or of the Army National Guard or Air National Guard who has successfully completed the military law enforcement training course required by that branch of the military; and any member of the United States Coast Guard serving in a peace officer role who has successfully completed the law enforcement training course specified by the United States Coast Guard.

Applicants claiming a training waiver should submit with their application a Certificate of Military Police Training or a DD214 that shows military police training.

2. Active or discharged service members in the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, or Coast Guard, or a reserve component thereof, or of the Army National Guard or Air National Guard shall be deemed to have met the training requirement if these persons:

1. Successfully completed handgun training of not less than four (4) hours, which was conducted by the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, or Coast Guard, or a reserve component thereof, or of the Army National Guard or Air National Guard; or

2. Successfully completed handgun qualification within the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, or Coast Guard, or a reserve component thereof, or of the Army Guard or Air Force National Guard.

3. Persons qualifying under for this training waiver may submit with their application at least one (1) of the following forms or their successor forms showing evidence of handgun training or handgun qualifications:

• Department of Defense Form DD 2586;

• Department of Defense Form DD 214;

• Coast Guard Form CG 3029;

• Department of the Army Form DA 88-R;

• Department of the Army Form DA 5704-R;

• Department of the Navy Form OPNAV 3591-1; or

• Department of the Air Force Form AF 522.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Just got this from DOCJT. Again, if all it takes is reading the frequently asked questions, then why even have a class. Sorry again, just had to say it.

"There is a new military exemption for the CCDW permit, you should have received a legal update in the mail a month or so ago that outlined the basics of the changes that were made in the most recent legislative session.  KSP will be handling all aspects of getting permits for the military folks.  The KSP website will have more detail and it is my understanding that there is a frequently asked question area that deals with this topic."

If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.
Thanks,
Brandi

Brandi Robinson
Records & Registration Section Supervisor
Dept. of Criminal Justice Training

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly, anyone can open carry with no information at all. The CCDW class is more of a feel good thing so they can say the concealed carriers are "trained". We all know the training is minimal at best.
View Quote

Very true.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top