Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/15/2018 8:31:53 PM EDT
My son is getting transferred to Monterey for 10 months, and possesses a couple of firearms that I have questions about from a CA legal standpoint: a G19 and an M1 carbine. Does he need to leave these elsewhere before the move?

Bud
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:12:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bud:
My son is getting transferred to Monterey for 10 months, and possesses a couple of firearms that I have questions about from a CA legal standpoint: a G19 and an M1 carbine. Does he need to leave these elsewhere before the move?

Bud
View Quote
The guns themselves? No. Unless he has an M1A1 Carbine with the folding stock or a threaded barrel on the Glock (in which case they have to be left behind or be made compliant). Any large capacity magazines he has have to be either converted to ten-rounders or be left behind.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:23:05 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

The guns themselves? No. Unless he has an M1A1 Carbine with the folding stock or a threaded barrel on the Glock (in which case they have to be left behind or be made compliant). Any large capacity magazines he has have to be either converted to ten-rounders or be left behind.
View Quote
Thank you very much for that information. I'll have him take care of the magazines before he departs. His Glock is a plain barrel, and the M1 carbine is a standard wooden stock.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:33:30 PM EDT
Also, if he's just being set there temporarily, I'm not sure if the law would still require him to report and register his firearms with the State, although the chances of an issue arising from failure to do so either way are rather slim. Someone else hear might know what the case is there. He would definitely need to do so if moving here permanently.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 12:02:25 AM EDT
Any folding or telescoping stock ON the carbine.

Several companies made after-market folding or telescoping stocks for carbines.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:48:44 AM EDT
If I'm not mistaken, don't they have a language center down there? I've been around that area, it's nice. A friend of mine teaches at a school near there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 2:41:45 AM EDT
If you have to get stationed in California, Monterey has to be on the very top of the list of great places to go. Especially after several of the small coastal Navy and AF facilities closed after the end of the cold war.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:46:11 AM EDT
Thanks for all of the replies and guidance.

It sounds like a nice location for a limited assignment. My wife and I are planning a trip out there to visit later in the year.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:38:05 AM EDT
Thanks for all of the replies and guidance.

It sounds like a nice location for a limited assignment. My wife and I are planning a trip out there to visit later in the year.
View Quote
There's a lot of little things to do in Monterrey. However, just driving along the coast is nice.
Link Posted: Today 11:57:50 AM EDT

Thank you very much for that information. I'll have him take care of the magazines before he departs. His Glock is a plain barrel, and the M1 carbine is a standard wooden stock.
View Quote
Probably best to buy new 10 round mags and not molest the ones he has.

Note that 10 round mags suck, and part of it is because they can possibly fit a 11th round no matter what. Hence they take a lot of force to fill.
Top Top