Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2018 5:16:23 PM EDT
TLDR:  Your new drivers license is identical to an illegal alien drivers license despite what AB60 said.

Just got an alert from CRPA.  Nothing from their site yet, this was an e-mail.  Remember those special AB60 illegal alien drivers licenses?  Remember how they were supposed to be different?  Bullshit.

And yeah, I renewed my DL in January before the Real ID license was available.  According to this e-mail I can't use my DL for a firearms purchase.  But I have.  Several times.  My license is identical in appearance to an illegal aliens DL.

Follow Up Special Alert:
Firearm Purchases and Identification Issued by CA DMV

In our last alert discussing California driver licenses and the Real ID Act, we mentioned that the California Department of Motor Vehicles ("DMV") had told Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives ("ATF") ATF that the non-REAL ID licenses issued to lawful California residents would be different than those issued to undocumented individuals.

It has come to our attention that DMV is issuing identification to lawful California residents that are identical to those issued to individuals who are unable to provide proof of their lawful presence in the United States. In other words, DMV provided ATF with bad information.

This means there is no distinction between an AB 60 license and a non-REAL ID, despite what the ATF previously attested to in communications with NRA and CRPA attorneys. As a result, California licensed firearm dealers are currently prohibited from accepting non-REAL IDs for the purposes of firearm transfers due to ATF's current policy.

NRA and CRPA attorneys have reached out to ATF and DMV for further clarification but have yet to receive a response. Make sure you are subscribed to NRA and CRPA email alerts to be notified of any updates on this issue as it develops.

In addition, NRA and CRPA attorneys have received word from at least one firearms dealer that the California Department of Justice ("CA DOJ") has taken the position that any license with the words "FEDERAL LIMTS APPLY" is not acceptable for the purposes of purchasing or transferring firearms, regardless of any additional language on the back of the license. This appears to be an unlawful overreach by CA DOJ because the question of lawful presence in the United States as it relates to firearm purchases falls directly under ATF's control.

Under California law, one only needs to provide "clear evidence of the person's identity and age" when attempting to acquire a firearm from a California licensed dealer. "Clear evidence" is defined as a valid California Driver's License or Identification Card. Because both AB 60 licenses and non-REAL IDs are considered valid California identification, regardless if they satisfy federal requirements or not, both satisfy California's requirement of "clear evidence of the person's identity and age."

Following additional clarification from ATF and DMV, NRA and CRPA attorneys will address CA DOJ's position should they still insist that such licenses are restricted. Until then, we recommend our members hold off on renewing their California identification if possible or apply for and obtain a REAL ID.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Top of old and new licenses for comparison.  I'm an illegal alien!

Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
To be fair , if your an American living in ca you are the illegal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 2:10:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Never mind
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
My son just got his in the mail and it's the same.  FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY.

I guess I'm making some calls today.

Eta I wonder if this screws up security clearances?
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL!  You're not cereal, are you?
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you pour me out of a box, put milk on me and eat me ?

I didn’t think so.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
But my family has been here in California since 1849...
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That would make you an American , definitely not the kind of alien California wants.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 2:17:39 AM EDT
[#9]
New Mexico had a similar problem a couple of years ago.  It got to the point where the Feds would not accept a NM driver's license as proof of identity to board an airplane - you would have needed a US passport to fly WITHIN the USA.

When States go rogue,... and California is going rogue,... it gets UGLY, fast.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 2:36:19 AM EDT
[#10]
It's technically that way now.  But California got an extension on implementation of Real ID.  In two more years you have to have a Real ID license.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My son just got his in the mail and it's the same.  FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY.

I guess I'm making some calls today.

Eta I wonder if this screws up security clearances?
View Quote
In some cases yes. If you are required to have a Federal Identification. Current clearances most likely not. New clearance/update, most likely yes.

This state is rediciulas
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]
So went to AAA fun shop today and they were saying you have to go to dmv with proof of citizenship in order to get the proper ID.

The feds will not let you purchase any guns with the restricted lic.   So it seems it’s just another way to herrass Americans.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 1:17:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I purchased 2 this year: A Ruger GSR .308 and an AR-15 lower.

I used my CA DL and vehicle registration in both cases with no problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top